How good is your gas mileage?! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Has anyone tested to see if they noticed a big difference using 100% gasoline? We have a couple stations in my area that offer this but the price is similar to Premium. Not sure if it’s worth the cost difference.

Yes, my top tanks of all time where out of state without ethanol.

God bless PF! And that guy that reviews rust inhibitors repair geek!

@bloc said dont worry about ethanol so i trust that for now. I wish wed know how much of what is in our fuels in the first place though. Let me make an informed decision.

Weird thing ive seen here in austin is that chevron gets me better mileage than shell, this was the opposite in my turbo bmws. Could be more ethanol in chevron gas?

I know its the same top tier truck though…

Yes, my top tanks of all time where out of state without ethanol.
Good to hear. I think I’m going to start using 100% gas.
God bless PF! And that guy that reviews rust inhibitors repair geek!

@bloc said dont worry about ethanol so i trust that for now. I wish wed know how much of what is in our fuels in the first place though. Let me make an informed decision.

Weird thing ive seen here in austin is that chevron gets me better mileage than shell, this was the opposite in my turbo bmws. Could be more ethanol in chevron gas?

I know its the same top tier truck though…
I believe Ethanol gives a vehicle more power such as E85 but the mpg is 3-4% worse compared to E10 fuel

I believe Ethanol gives a vehicle more power such as E85 but the mpg is 3-4% worse compared to E10 fuel

Is all "up to E10" E10?

Yep. Definitely true for the LC. The odometer and speedo are “calibrated” differently. With stock tires the odometer reading will be accurate and so will the calculated milage but your speed will read low by about 5%. I read somewhere that it is this way because of some kind of law in Japan. Don’t know if that’s true or not. When you go up a tire size your speedometer will read pretty close to correct but now your odometer will read about 5% wrong and so will the calculated mileage.
Yeah I vaguely remember something about it being very against the law (not to mention liability) to sell a vehicle that traveled faster than the speedometer indicated. So they tend to push things the other way.
The odometer though.. no reason to have it be anything but accurate.
Ethanol has less thermal energy per volume, so technically less “power” all else being equal. But, it’s octane rating is so high that you can run a ton of timing (or boost) and end up making more power that way.
This tendency for less power is ultimately why we’ll get less mileage out of e10 or any blend than straight gasoline, as long as the gasoline has a high enough octane to keep timing in range.
Thing is at the lower blends the difference will be pretty small.. like the 4% cited.
Is all "up to E10" E10?
I actually don’t know. Will need to look into it.

So, is the 100% pure gas worth $.30 more per gallon compared to Costco regular?

You could have it delivered to your house and tank it... Itd be like owning an EV!

You’d need to run it and see how much of a difference it makes in your use, and then do the math.

The 4% thing is theoretical, but with octane ratings and a vehicle that can “learn” (aka trim) timing to fit octane it probably isn’t very easy to predict.

I’ve had a disproportionate number of great tanks with ethanol free too, but it is near-impossible to find where I live, even if the math worked out. If the math were even close I’d run it because my truck spends so much time sitting between trips.

You’d need to run it and see how much of a difference it makes in your use, and then do the math.

The 4% thing is theoretical, but with octane ratings and a vehicle that can “learn” (aka trim) timing to fit octane it probably isn’t very easy to predict.

I’ve had a disproportionate number of great tanks with ethanol free too, but it is near-impossible to find where I live, even if the math worked out. If the math were even close I’d run it because my truck spends so much time sitting between trips.
I’m a little OCD about non ethanol gas. Where I am at it is fairly easy to find. There are now some stations that sell regular ethanol free gas. It used to be to get non-ethanol gas you had to buy mid range or premium. Generally I found that if you had to get the premium to get ethanol free the double whammy there in price didn’t really pay for itself. But I still would usually do that because the Extended little bit of range is more important to me than a few dollars I’m pissing away. I get much more than a 4% improvement in mileage with non-ethanol gas compared to E10. I get more like 10% improvement in mileage. So spending $.30 more per gallon kind of washes from a cost point of view but I get to go another 30 miles.

Need to stop typing now, I feel my Anti-ethanol rant getting triggered… :flipoff2: E10

Last edited:
I’m a little OCD about non ethanol gas. Where I am at it is fairly easy to find. There are now some stations that sell regular ethanol free gas. It used to be to get non-ethanol gas you had to buy mid range or premium. Generally I found that if you had to get the premium to get ethanol free the double whammy there in price didn’t really pay for itself. But I still would usually do that because the Extended little bit of range is more important to me than a few dollars I’m pissing away. I get much more than a 4% improvement in mileage with non-ethanol gas compared to E10. I get more like 10% improvement in mileage. So spending $.30 more per gallon kind of washes From a cost point of you but I get to go another 30 miles.

Need to stop typing now, I feel my Anti-ethanol rant getting triggered… :flipoff2: E10
I have a non-ethanol option just a few blocks from me.

Correct. I used to use the E85 when it became available here some years back.

It dropped my gas range roughly 20% but you could definitely feel the increase in acceleration..

It wasn't worth the trade off after awhile.

Correct. I used to use the E85 when it became available here some years back.

It dropped my gas range roughly 20% but you could definitely feel the increase in acceleration..

It wasn't worth the trade off after awhile.
In your LandCruiser or another vehicle?

In your LandCruiser or another vehicle?
2012 Chevy Silverado LS 4X4

Filled with 87 gave me approx. 14/15 MPG...
Filled with E85 netted me about 12 MPG.

Should have clarified given this is a LC forum.

This thread is pretty informative and your record keeping makes me feel more normal lol. Only issue i have @Itsky is with the title. Should’ve been “how BAD is your gas mileage”. 😂

This thread is pretty informative and your record keeping makes me feel more normal lol. Only issue i have @Itsky is with the title. Should’ve been “how BAD is your gas mileage”. 😂

Look at post number #1, this thread is about the "good," most of the MPG threads are about the bad - that's the difference :)

I would consider 17 MPG "good" for all a LC provides. I think with 285/70/17 Michelin Defenders I could average 17MPG and that would satisfy my range desires at 340 between fill ups (and maybe up to 400 using the whole tank). But, I'm afraid they will suck for my off-roading trips.

Look at post number #1, this thread is about the "good," most of the MPG threads are about the bad - that's the difference :)

I would consider 17 MPG "good" for all a LC provides. I think with 285/70/17 Michelin Defenders I could average 17MPG and that would satisfy my range desires at 340 between fill ups (and maybe up to 400 using the whole tank). But, I'm afraid they will suck for my off-roading trips.

Damn, i usually reverse read these long threads!
So youre the 20MPG pioneer? I knew im not crazy.
Ive done it before San Antonio to Austin too and have yet to recreate it.

Does anyone here remember the acetone in gas tank fad from forever ago?
Might carry a can for those emergency fume stretches. Probably a horrible idea. Roast me.

One Year/5000 Mile Average

I picked up my 2021 HE last January 26, and just turned over 5000 miles a couple of weeks ago. So figured that I could add the overall average to this thread. Mixed highway (midwest, so no 80 MPH driving) and small town (so lots of 20-40 MPH stuff.) I'm one of those annoying people who drives the speed limit, accelerates slow, and anticipates traffic slowdowns, so no hard braking. I drive like my grandpa...

My LC is bone stock except I removed the HE roof basket. 746 of the 5233 miles on the odometer were towing my Hiker squaredrop trailer, which only weighs around 1200 pounds, but has crap on the roof for additional drag.

Generally filled with Sheetz 87 octane gas, or other mid-term if on the road. I try to park level and fill the same way each tank. So Fuelly's numbers should be pretty accurate.

5233 miles
Filled 20 times
$2.78 Average price per gallon
$48.80 Average price per fill-up
$0.187 Average price per mile
$976.01 Total spent

15.7 Average MPG
19.3 Best MPG
13.02 Worst MPG

[EDIT]
For reference, my 2016 Toyota 4Runner Trail Premium w/KDDS with the 4.0L V6 averaged 17.1 MPG over five years and 34,000 miles.
And my 2008 Subaru Outback 2.5XT with the 2.5L turbo flat four and 5-speed manual averaged 22.4 MPG over eight years and 47,000 miles. But it required premium gas, so was actually more expensive per mile than the 4Runner.

Last edited:

I picked up my 2021 HE last January 26, and just turned over 5000 miles a couple of weeks ago. So figured that I could add the overall average to this thread. Mixed highway (midwest, so no 80 MPH driving) and small town (so lots of 20-40 MPH stuff.) I'm one of those annoying people who drives the speed limit, accelerates slow, and anticipates traffic slowdowns, so no hard braking. I drive like my grandpa...

My LC is bone stock except I removed the HE roof basket. 746 of the 5233 miles on the odometer were towing my Hiker squaredrop trailer, which only weighs around 1200 pounds, but has crap on the roof for additional drag.

Generally filled with Sheetz 87 octane gas, or other mid-term if on the road. I try to park level and fill the same way each tank. So Fuelly's numbers should be pretty accurate.

5233 miles
Filled 20 times
$976.01 Total spent

15.7 Average MPG
19.3 Best MPG
13.02 Worst MPG
your gas prices make me :crybaby:

5233 miles
Filled 20 times
$976.01 Total spent

15.7 Average MPG
19.3 Best MPG
13.02 Worst MPG
guess i'm at opposite end of this spectrum!

bought my 2021 HE on 31 Dec, 2021. in 1 year i put on ~41K miles. (includes 11 trips OR to UT, 2 trips OR to central ID, 1 trip OR - UT - ID - WY - MT, 2 trips OR - SE Wa) averaged about 15.6 mpg with the Falken Wildpeak 285/65/R18 and 16.3 with stock size Blizzaks for winter. the real shocker was this post got me to go look at my credit card for gas purchases in 2021 - $10,460!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom