Gas mileage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got back from my trip to Georgia from California. Drove 7003 miles and logged gas for 6771 miles. Missed one tank. For the 6771 miles, I used 422.4 gallons. Overall MPG was 16, with a best tank of 19.6 MPG driving through New Mexico into Texas (I 40) and a worse tank of 12.5 MPG driving a combination of Atlanta rush-hour traffic and twisty mountain roads. I drove the speed limit and used cruise control where I could. LC was loaded with about 300 pounds of luggage and in Georgia, carried four people. Nothing on the roof. For interstate driving, the worse tank was 14.1, through Dallas. What a hot mess that was.... I think I have seen a small hit with the 285/65R18 BFG AT KO2s.

Got back from my trip to Georgia from California. Drove 7003 miles and logged gas for 6771 miles. Missed one tank. For the 6771 miles, I used 422.4 gallons. Overall MPG was 16, with a best tank of 19.6 MPG driving through New Mexico into Texas (I 40) and a worse tank of 12.5 MPG driving a combination of Atlanta rush-hour traffic and twisty mountain roads. I drove the speed limit and used cruise control where I could. LC was loaded with about 300 pounds of luggage and in Georgia, carried four people. Nothing on the roof. For interstate driving, the worse tank was 14.1, through Dallas. What a hot mess that was.... I think I have seen a small hit with the 285/65R18 BFG AT KO2s.

How were you measuring miles? If by the ODO, then you are probably shortchanging yourself.

HTH

How were you measuring miles? If by the ODO, then you are probably shortchanging yourself.

HTH
That is probably true. My speedometer now reads 1 MPH slow at 70 MPH per my GPS. I will have to make a correction and see if it makes much of a difference.

That is probably true. My speedometer now reads 1 MPH slow at 70 MPH per my GPS. I will have to make a correction and see if it makes much of a difference.

In a stock LC200, with stock 285/60R18 tires, the Speedo will read approximately 3% faster than actual - The Odometer, however, will be accurate.

The best comparison you can make to adjust for your ACTUAL gas mileage, would be to measure miles on your GPS. Making any adjustment based solely on indicated speed will be incorrect.

One quick test you could do would be to reset one of your Trip Meters to 0 and your GPS to 0. Travel some meaningful distance like 100 miles or so, and compare the miles shown on the GPS with the miles shown on the trip meter. A typical result would be 100 mile shown on the Trip Meter while the GPS shows 103 miles. This means you would have to increase the miles you are using based on the ODO by about 3% - then divide by gallons for a more accurate mileage calc.

Admittedly not earth shaking, but 3% is 3% - 12.5mpg turns into 12.9mpg.

HTH

In a stock LC200, with stock 285/60R18 tires, the Speedo will read approximately 3% faster than actual - The Odometer, however, will be accurate.

The best comparison you can make to adjust for your ACTUAL gas mileage, would be to measure miles on your GPS. Making any adjustment based solely on indicated speed will be incorrect.

One quick test you could do would be to reset one of your Trip Meters to 0 and your GPS to 0. Travel some meaningful distance like 100 miles or so, and compare the miles shown on the GPS with the miles shown on the trip meter. A typical result would be 100 mile shown on the Trip Meter while the GPS shows 103 miles. This means you would have to increase the miles you are using based on the ODO by about 3% - then divide by gallons for a more accurate mileage calc.

Admittedly not earth shaking, but 3% is 3% - 12.5mpg turns into 12.9mpg.

HTH
@gaijin
Instead of comparing to a GPS, couldn’t one back-calculate the actual distance travelled using the percent change in tire size?

@gaijin
Instead of comparing to a GPS, couldn’t one back-calculate the actual distance travelled using the percent change in tire size?
GPS validation will be the most accurate, but if you think the spec for your tire is correct, then that should work fine. My Toyo OC AT3 LT285/75R17s matched the spec when i did the GPS validation. +8% compared to stock LX570 P285/50R20

Ah. Good point.
I hadn’t thought about the tire not being precise to spec.

Adding data points here. I routinely make the 400-mile drive between Little Rock and Kansas City. This weekend it got the typical 15.5-17 corrected mpg that I usually get except for one fluke tank of gas i picked up in Missouri. I never got over 13.8 mpg with that gas. That's the biggest discrepancy I've ever seen over known routes. (for reference I generally use the dash meter rather than hand calculating)

Adding data points here. I routinely make the 400-mile drive between Little Rock and Kansas City. This weekend it got the typical 15.5-17 corrected mpg that I usually get except for one fluke tank of gas i picked up in Missouri. I never got over 13.8 mpg with that gas. That's the biggest discrepancy I've ever seen over known routes. (for reference I generally use the dash meter rather than hand calculating)

Question what does your dash say MPG is when you get the 15's ?

Since I don’t have a dash on my 200 I can only calculate.
pretty constant 13,5l/100km diesel

What year 200 didn't have a fuel consumption number on the dash ?
In the US, none. In some other markets, all years, depending on trim level.

I wish I could average 14 mpg daily driving in Dallas.....

So...just finished a highway run...about 300 miles. Running around 70MPH. Calculated by odometer mileage and gas pump (87 reg) gallons pumped I got an even 20MPG. I've consistently been in 18/19 range on similar runs (not all highway but slower 60ish MPH)

This seems "impossible"....

Running 20w and sitting on Michelin Latitude. 2010 180K

Last pure highway run I did I got 16mpg with the cruise set at 80mph. Rhino front bumper, Rock Warriors with Wildpeak AT3W tires in factory 17" size. Otherwise I get 14mpg in mixed driving on my commute

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom