Tighter Colorado emissions standards starting 1/1/22 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wow, very sorry to see this emission insanity spreading to your neck of the woods. Most of these rigs just see weekend, recreation use at least that's my case. I've lived the nightmare in Kalifornia.
My daily is an Imiev electric. You’d think I’d get a few grams of HC and NOX credit for that. :).

^^^If there were common sense in government you would but, well we know the story.

Was at AirCareColorado today and I asked for a copy of next year's emission standards. Guy said they had not yet been told what they were.

Was at AirCareColorado today and I asked for a copy of next year's emission standards. Guy said they had not yet been told what they were.
Probably won't know till 1/3/22

Can you please clarify what you mean? I can find Johnnie Walker but not Lucas…

Seriously, this will drop your NOx. The other guy nailed it. if you Google it, there are lots of links about it dropping NOx.

D66B20DE-6789-4B0D-A756-199661349A12.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks like my rig is moving to Montana and is going to become my remote company vehicle..... I'm tired of having to go out of my way to find smaller tires just so I can run their test. If you make a test then test it with my tire size. Not my problem.

It took some hard studying but ultimately I passed just fine with 7+ year old "non cali" cats so why do I need to have cali cats now? if the test results are below the thresholds then who cares what kind of cat it is unless someone is getting some $$$ in their pocket for selling more cali-cats for x2 the cost of the standard ones....

I know they aren't checking for the cali stamp, but try to find an exhaust shop in the state who will install an "illegal" cat.

I'm out, enough of this BS. Montana plates inbound.

Looks like my rig is moving to Montana and is going to become my remote company vehicle..... I'm tired of having to go out of my way to find smaller tires just so I can run their test. If you make a test then test it with my tire size. Not my problem.

It took some hard studying but ultimately I passed just fine with 7+ year old "non cali" cats so why do I need to have cali cats now? if the test results are below the thresholds then who cares what kind of cat it is unless someone is getting some $$$ in their pocket for selling more cali-cats for x2 the cost of the standard ones....

I know they aren't checking for the cali stamp, but try to find an exhaust shop in the state who will install an "illegal" cat.

I'm out, enough of this BS. Montana plates inbound.
I've had mine tested a few times on 37's (pre LS swap and registering at my inlaws ranch in Pueblo). They just plug into the OBD II plug. check the gas cap and send me on my way,

Too lazy to compare the values to California standards, sorry. But if it makes you feel any better I've yet to fail a smog test in my 23 years of car ownership. All of those years I have owned 4x4's with over 200k on the ODO.

I know you all hate Calif, but it seems that the smog check are easier here, no dynos where I live.
The 80 has easily passed the biannual testing.
I think smog regulations are a good thing (clean air) but on 25 year old cars is just stupid !!!

My three favorite places to walk the Dog all less then 5 minutes form the house.

So just keep hating, I don't want the place to get ruined ;)

1639581281223.png

1639581324561.png

1639581406896.png

The Sunset view form my back porch :p
1639581451187.png

I think I can live with the smog checks no problem !!!

California Native

PS theirs a reason it's the most populous state Ha ha

I know you all hate Calif, but it seems that the smog check are easier here, no dynos where I live.
The 80 has easily passed the biannual testing.
I think smog regulations are a good thing (clean air) but on 25 year old cars is just stupid !!!

My three favorite places to walk the Dog all less then 5 minutes form the house.

So just keep hating, I don't want the place to get ruined ;)

View attachment 2865850
View attachment 2865852
View attachment 2865854
The Sunset view form my back porch :p
View attachment 2865855
I think I can live with the smog checks no problem !!!

California Native

PS theirs a reason it's the most populous state Ha ha
I don't hate it, just can't afford to live there.
I tried to about 20 years ago.

Ran the gauntlet at the Ft Collins AirCareCo site earlier today. As expected the manager had no idea what's coming and said on January 3 their database will be updated when they start 2022 testing. He said he expects limits across the board to be tightened significantly. He also made a pithy comment to the effect that "we gotta clean up the air" to which I replied a good start would be not allowing the front range (now basically ruined) population to more than double in the last 20 years. Nice people at the site and I easily passed:
  • Ran the truck ~20 miles up and back 25 to get the cats good and hot
  • Turned on ECT and OD off which is how they ran the test (dyno)
  • They made no comment on my PCV oil catch can
  • I didn't spike the tank with any additive to lower the NOx and was surprised this first time in a decade I tested (barely) below 2.0 GPM.
After having failed NOx and CO two years ago it was gratifying that all the EGR work I completed paid off.

Good luck all!

Last edited:
El Paso county is mentioned several times in the regs, something about it being diff/exempt/no change in comparison to other CO counties. My tag expires in 2 weeks and I received the paperwork in the mail to take to the machine inside the DMV to renew the tag. There is no human in the path to another year of legality.
Guessing this time next year will be diff.
And if so...may have to go 'up the hill'.

Here is my view of the Bighorns, no smog emission madness here in WYO. I'm a California native with a home in Morro Bay who can't wait to divest himself of the madness that has engulfed California. I guess I have dual citizenship but this covid insanity has made the wife draw the line. I love the fact my 60 is totally desmogged and runs like a devil!

IMG_0145.jpg

Here is my view of the Bighorns, no smog emission madness here in WYO. I'm a California native with a home in Morro Bay who can't wait to divest himself of the madness that has engulfed California. I guess I have dual citizenship but this covid insanity has made the wife draw the line. I love the fact my 60 is totally desmogged and runs like a devil!

View attachment 2868154

I live in Washington now, but Wyoming is in my future as soon as my son graduates.

View attachment 2868154
I spent one winter in Wyoming 30 years a go 🥶🥶

It keeps the riff raff out LOL...When it gets tiresome we drop down to Scottsdale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom