Awnings, let's see them (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been wanting an awning to attach to my roof rack for awhile. I am wondering what options are out there. So if you have an awning on your rig, post up some pictures with the details on your particular model. Make sure to include pictures showing how it is mounted to your roof/roof rack.

Thanks

I've been getting ready to pull the trigger on a freestanding awning. I've narrowed it down to the OVS 270 or the Overland Pros Wraptor 4k.

Here's a video of the Wraptor on an LC.

A quick youtube search will yield tons of videos for the OVS. Here's one I like. This guy reminds of the host of Blue's Clues for some reason.

That first one looks like an accident waiting to happen if it were set up in any serious kind of wind...... The 2nd one looks bad ace

They function identically. The only real substantive difference is that the OVS unit has the portion that swings forward as well. They do sell a cheaper 270 LT which is basically identical in coverage to the Overland Pros. Edit to mention: OVerland pros has a unit called the Wraptor 6k that has the forward swing like the OVS unit.

Regarding wind stability, they both have legs that swing down, additional legs that store separately, extra walls you can buy, and plenty of guy lines for wind/rain. They're both copies of the Darche Eclipse 270 from what I've read.

Last edited:
That makes more sense. With legs and some good tie downs than I am sure it would be great in a strong wind. So many options.....

More research for you:

I cheaped out and went with the Ironman 2m. Price point is excellent, minimal accessories available and free shipping. I like to move around too much to put out all those sidewalls. Plus, I just can’t justify the cost for some of the obviously awesome 270 kits out there.

I had mine set up with ubolts into the L brackets available to my round Yakima bars. I opted for the quick release mounts and I regularly take the awning off my truck when I’m not using it. I figure that if nothing else, it won’t get rained on for no reason and you can’t steal it if it’s hung up in my garage.

The 270s seem awesome and if my budget could, I would definitely invest the easily-spent thousands into a better rack, RTT and a 270 with all the goodies. But then, why stop there.

Hope this helps! I love my @ironman4x4 awning and if I needed more vehicle-mounted shelter, I’d just buy another one.

079E8077-97BE-4481-8749-4E94265EE916.jpeg

78D33198-40B3-47BA-A88E-5594E3FE5553.jpeg

589A6730-7505-4FDF-83E6-41A83F550372.jpeg

Basic ARB awning mounted with their mounts to Yakima round bars. Second pic is the awning room they sell that zips in. Highly recommend.

048C74B6-B080-4984-A67D-C1781FFCE640.jpeg

16CD72DD-A138-4AD7-8711-7DD916D7F87C.jpeg

The Ironman with the quick release was my early favorite until I started finding self supporting 270s for $649 delivered.

They function identically. The only real substantive difference is that the OVS unit has the portion that swings forward as well. They do sell a cheaper 270 LT which is basically identical in coverage to the Overland Pros. Edit to mention: OVerland pros has a unit called the Wraptor 6k that has the forward swing like the OVS unit.

Regarding wind stability, they both have legs that swing down, additional legs that store separately, extra walls you can buy, and plenty of guy lines for wind/rain. They're both copies of the Darche Eclipse 270 from what I've read.

Looks like a very sturdy one!

A little off subject here but why do people load the awnings on the driver side? I realize the thought is to go dispersed camping 90% of the time but 100% of campers and camp grounds in the states are setup to have passenger side entrance/ exit. Whether your intent is to stay a night in a campground or not it puts the back of the rig to the road and everything on the wrong side and exiting your 80 in your undies where everyone and their brother is walking by to the s***ter in the morning or kicks up dust in the eggs and coffee when cooking off the tailgate. Is it because all the cool gear comes from down under and they do it backwards there and we follow suit?

I cheaped out and went with the Ironman 2m. Price point is excellent, minimal accessories available and free shipping. I like to move around too much to put out all those sidewalls. Plus, I just can’t justify the cost for some of the obviously awesome 270 kits out there.

I had mine set up with ubolts into the L brackets available to my round Yakima bars. I opted for the quick release mounts and I regularly take the awning off my truck when I’m not using it. I figure that if nothing else, it won’t get rained on for no reason and you can’t steal it if it’s hung up in my garage.

The 270s seem awesome and if my budget could, I would definitely invest the easily-spent thousands into a better rack, RTT and a 270 with all the goodies. But then, why stop there.

Hope this helps! I love my @ironman4x4 awning and if I needed more vehicle-mounted shelter, I’d just buy another one.

View attachment 2566104

View attachment 2566105

View attachment 2566107
Did this unit come with the piece of fabric that runs at a 45 to the ground? I have been looking at the ironman awnings, I like simple and they are on sale right now...

A little off subject here but why do people load the awnings on the driver side?
Mostly personal preference but:
- fridge on driver side
- most trafficked side
- I can monitor branches and height clearance easily to not damage it
- hoping to get RTT that opens to passenger side

A little off subject here but why do people load the awnings on the driver side? I realize the thought is to go dispersed camping 90% of the time but 100% of campers and camp grounds in the states are setup to have passenger side entrance/ exit. Whether your intent is to stay a night in a campground or not it puts the back of the rig to the road and everything on the wrong side and exiting your 80 in your undies where everyone and their brother is walking by to the s***ter in the morning or kicks up dust in the eggs and coffee when cooking off the tailgate. Is it because all the cool gear comes from down under and they do it backwards there and we follow suit?
My rooftop tent opens to the passenger side.

My snorkel was on the passenger side, so I put the awning on the driver's side to balance out the look.

A lot of rear bumper tire swing outs open to passenger side so more walking space under an awning mounted on drivers side.

I ran one on my first 80 and honestly used in 3 times in 3 years, so much messing around with poles and tent pegs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom