cleaning coolant overflow tank... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Doing a complete cooling system overhaul...as posted before. Took off the overflow resevoir tonight and found some lime like deposits in it. What is the best way to clean that tank out? Thanks!

dgarber said:
Doing a complete cooling system overhaul...as posted before. Took off the overflow resevoir tonight and found some lime like deposits in it. What is the best way to clean that tank out? Thanks!

Fill with CLR and leave in deep sink. I then attach a 3/4 heater hose to the faucet and put other end in resevoir and flush with cold water.

Zack1978 said:
It is a cleaner. Calcium, Lime, Rust, not sure if that is correct? They sell it in Home Depot

Zack
Sorry, yes that is what it is................I have heard you can flush your cooling system with it to.

ok I'll check it out...my coolant overflow "tank" is kinda crappy. I dont' guess the previous owner ever cleaned anything under the hood. 86FJ 60.... I've already used about 5 cans of gunk trying to get some of the road crap, oil, grease and stuff from off the engine area. Makes is a lot less aggrivating to work on when its at least half way clean.

Elbert said:
ok I'll check it out...my coolant overflow "tank" is kinda crappy. I dont' guess the previous owner ever cleaned anything under the hood. 86FJ 60.... I've already used about 5 cans of gunk trying to get some of the road crap, oil, grease and stuff from off the engine area. Makes is a lot less aggrivating to work on when its at least half way clean.

Castrol super clean is a wonderful degreaser.........

Or just buy a new overflow tank from Wal-mart.... Saw one just the other day.

Hey dgarber, how did you take out the overflow reservoir, on my 62 the bracket seems to be attached with welded nuts on the outside, so I figure I have to slide the tank up and out of the bracket somehow, but when I tried I had to force it quite a bit and nothing, so I didn't insist?

Thanks.

Another vote for Castrol Super Clean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom