Builds Greetings from Seattle...Fixing up "Blue Guy" (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Working through parts and cleaning up. Waiting on some chemicals to come in to coat the raw aluminum intake to prevent oxidation. Going to try coating it in Alodine 1001. The stuff is mainly used in the aircraft field as a base to paint aluminum parts but based on reports from other car people that have used it, it works well as a stand alone top coat while keeping the aluminum looking raw.
While I am biding my time am focusing on the injectors and fuel rail. I popped the cap on the pulsation damper and found this:
49734120258_f4658017cb_z.jpg

Also found some white crust inside the fuel system which I think is from ethanol induced moisture increases.
49734664346_b7270b2b39_z.jpg

Not sure if that screw being completely off is critical but a new pulsation damper will be going back on.
49736792896_fc0c4881bc_z.jpg

What the oldest part on your shelf?
First OEM part I ever bought for this cruiser and still have around? Hood silencer from Onur back in 2015 I believe. Goal is to glue the ribs back to the hood and finally install it. This is the year! hahaha. Not sure why the first part I got was the hood silencer here it is :) Hopefully its not all warped for sitting so long, that would figure though.
49736499858_c7e4a090ef_z.jpg

That looks like it’s off of a 7M-GE?
Ok, looking at the old part number it does list some sort of Toyota Van. Weird! I wonder why someone swapped it for that one. Well at least the correct one will be going on.

Rebuilt injectors, fuel rail and plated fuel lines installed. Replacing that rear fuel line on the 3FE was a total pain but at least its done.
49746398228_beeedbb7fe_z.jpg

49746398098_f8a89f9413_z.jpg

So I took off one of the exhaust shields and one of the bolts broke.... not a surprise. Especially since @Kleatus warned me not to. hahaha. So now I have to battle to get it out. But the original idea was to swap out the shields for a nicer pair that I have. That back shield is really rusty and looks terrible. So now not wanting to deal with a potentially broken bolt scenario in the back of the tight engine bay, I am going to leave it in place and paint it with a brushable high-temp paint. That way I can help control the rust and clean it all up a bit. Adapt and move forward. Alodine gets delivered on Thursday, excited to see how the intake looks after treatment. Once that is done, I will start bolting the intake back together. Trying not to let this snowball too much, as I clean stuff up, other stuff looks worse and worse. :p

Still waiting on one last part to try and get that broken bolt out of the manifold. Thanks to @NookShneer for loaning me some tools to get this job done. In the mean time I have been cleaning parts. I started on the engine bay sheet metal. Used a combo of a blue scotch-brite pad, dawn soap and a lot muscle. Kept the paint safe and cleaned up well! You can see a distinct difference between the sides of the engine bays:
49771373943_8ab7890b01_z.jpg

Finishing hardware cleaning with a combo of mechanical and vinegar soaks. These parts will be sent out for plating.
49771907151_c47a6324dc_z.jpg

Waiting for alodine wash later today:
49772236542_5abe1fc305_z.jpg

Finished valve cover with all new grommets and pcv valve waiting its turn to crown the engine block.
49771907031_9e22d88bd4_z.jpg

Ckeaned all my sheet metal recently too while I had it all open, also hit it with a coat of wax making future clean up easier.
So nice to work in a clean environment.

I asked previously, but how did the inside of the plenum turn out?

Ckeaned all my sheet metal recently too while I had it all open, also hit it with a coat of wax making future clean up easier.
So nice to work in a clean environment.

I asked previously, but how did the inside of the plenum turn out?
I would say just Ok, some of that stuff I cant reach well with the brushes I have and I didnt want to start to scrape stuff off if I couldn't fully commit to cleaning well. Its not that bad though. Its a thin coating of black gunk. I scrubbed and blasted what I could to get any loose bits out so nothing would get sucked into the engine.

Last edited:
Parts getting mailed to the platers today. Found a couple more bits I wanted to throw in the box.. hahaha couldn't help it.

Intake post alodine treatment and shiny bits starting to get bolted on. Put on one of my NOS IAC valves. :)
49775346396_5331c3721a_z.jpg

49798853682_101b8315bd_z.jpg

New radiator overflow bottle and cap/hose from my back stock of parts going on
49797936028_9283ed319c_z.jpg

Successfully drilled through the old bolt and broken tap. Tapped in new M8 1.25 threads so I can still use the OEM bolts.
49798490036_d72faa9919_z.jpg

Pimp-a-licious, Chase.

:)
Thanks! I was questioning all the parts cleaning and just doing a quick injector swap... but once I got those refurbished parts back I was hooked. Now that its not on main transport duty, its nice to take more time to complete projects.
Thanks for helping find all the sweet parts I get to now put on. :steer:

Looking good 👍. I did this a couple of months ago but with minimal cleaning and somehow I misplaced the smog parts while putting things back together.
Ha, nice! I am keeping them for now. Most things seem to be working ok so no need to delete them yet. Ideally it would be nice to delete the motor and switch to something else. Hahaha

Ha, nice! I am keeping them for now. Most things seem to be working ok so no need to delete them yet. Ideally it would be nice to delete the motor and switch to something else. Hahaha

Easily 300+k miles on the smog stuff plus it's 30 years old or so. I was careful removing pieces but the air rail was brittle and I don't have to deal with any smog registration in nowhere, AL. I had the desmog parts on hand so I plugged the air ports in the head, the EGR port in the intake and exhaust manifold. I left the smog pump in place for now.

I can't tell that it runs any differently than when it was smogged.

Easily 300+k miles on the smog stuff plus it's 30 years old or so. I was careful removing pieces but the air rail was brittle and I don't have to deal with any smog registration in nowhere, AL. I had the desmog parts on hand so I plugged the air ports in the head, the EGR port in the intake and exhaust manifold. I left the smog pump in place for now.

I can't tell that it runs any differently than when it was smogged.
Yeah, I bet none of it was working well so maybe that is why you didnt see a change? I bet the people that see a increase in performance had EGR valves that were stuck open. I had issues with my EGR not closing all the way and causing a slight rough idle. I actually took it out, soaked the insides in oven cleaner and got the valve sealing again. An exercise in madness but it helped for sure.

Mostly small stuff as supplies roll in, but still waiting for parts. Hopefully everything will be here by next week. Got the main chunks of harness wrapped in heat shielding and taped up. I added an extra ground wire to the EFI ground point on the intake. Painted the exhaust shields but we will see how long it lasts.
49833485108_c0afdf5275_c.jpg

Bolted the throttle body on the intake and calibrated the throttle position sensor.
49834327072_004d202e42_c.jpg

Discovered my brake booster vacuum tubing was maybe a bit past its prime :skull:
49833484963_7418b433be_z.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom