Builds Greetings from Seattle...Fixing up "Blue Guy" (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mostly small stuff as supplies roll in, but still waiting for parts. Hopefully everything will be here by next week. Got the main chunks of harness wrapped in heat shielding and taped up. I added an extra ground wire to the EFI ground point on the intake. Painted the exhaust shields but we will see how long it lasts.
49833485108_c0afdf5275_c.jpg

Bolted the throttle body on the intake and calibrated the throttle position sensor.
49834327072_004d202e42_c.jpg

Discovered my brake booster vacuum tubing was maybe a bit past its prime :skull:
49833484963_7418b433be_z.jpg

Winning on so many levels! 🤘😎🤘

That is some serious jewelry. Wow.

Quick question, what alternator is that?...my 62 alt.'s have not had that type of connection that sits wide to the driver side.
The issue with that jewelry is now the other side of the engine bay is going to look worse. Hahaha. This cruiser sat by Puget sound for a bit over the years and the salty air was especially bad on exposed metal surfaces which the engine bay has a lot of. Figured it was time to tackle it.
That alternator is a 90amp unit found on some of the 80series 3FE engine. It takes a bit of modification to get the lower mount to work but not bad. There are a couple threads on this swap. One is in the 80series section. My OE 80 amp alternator was failing so I figured why not upgrade to a “better” unit. That fat wire coming off the side is a added connection that runs straight to the battery (fused). It runs through the front channel.

The issue with that jewelry is now the other side of the engine bay is going to look worse. Hahaha. This cruiser sat by Puget sound for a bit over the years and the salty air was especially bad on exposed metal surfaces which the engine bay has a lot of. Figured it was time to tackle it.
That alternator is a 90amp unit found on some of the 80series 3FE engine. It takes a bit of modification to get the lower mount to work but not bad. There are a couple threads on this swap. One is in the 80series section. My OE 80 amp alternator was failing so I figured why not upgrade to a “better” unit. That fat wire coming off the side is a added connection that runs straight to the battery (fused). It runs through the front channel.

Ahh, explains that. Aside from the connector the general shape and all of that alt. is different. We had a beach house for awhile and even the limited time my Cruiser spent down there caused a fair amount of surface corrosion in the engine bay, nothing detrimental just unsightly. A lot of boat guys down there spritz their entire motors with CorrosionX.

Second batch of parts finally back from the platers! I guess they got swamped with lots of other car parts. hahaha.
Time to put some more gold in the engine bay and finally finish up this injector swap.
49921066478_6ddcfdac44_c.jpg

I made a super dumb mistake and partially cross threaded this fuel line port once I had bolted the intake back together....So it all had to come back apart which was a huge bummer.
49924719741_a37f08fdfd_c.jpg

Thankfully I was able to polish up the spare fuel rail and get it all back together. Correctly this time. Almost done with getting this back together, hopefully tonight! I am expecting at least 50 extra hp after this swap.
49925022962_fe9b527004_c.jpg

Its alive! Minor fuel leak at the pulsation damper but I fixed that quick. Idling much smoother than before. Sadly didnt get the 50 extra hp I was hoping for.

Now I need to get a new exhaust system and oxygen sensors... then replace the fuel pump and hoses. hahaha.

Well you win some and you lose some. Now the cruiser is idling rough. It was perfect for a hour drive. Started it up the next day and now its idling rough like it has a misfire almost. Currently trying hunt down any vacuum leaks. Hoping its a bad connection somewhere and not one of the refreshed injectors since those would be a pain to go back in a replace.

Ok here is what I have tried so far to narrow down the rough idle:
Checked for vacuum leaks with water spray technique--- No change in idle
All bolts checked and torqued to spec----------------------No change in idle
Vacuum lines routed correctly--------------------------------No change in idle
Wiggled terminals on injectors (they are tight)--------------No change in idle
Checked for fuel leaks----------------------------------------None- no change in idle
Pulled spark plug wires--------------------------------------- cylinders 1&5 not firing!

I checked injector #1 coil resistance since its the only one I could get to of the two and its reading 6 mega ohms. That is way outside the 13.8 ohm factory setting. There were rebuilt by WitchHunter a few months ago and have been sitting waiting to go until now. Time to take all those parts back apart to pull the injectors. :censor:

Took it ALL apart again. Got a chance to really test the coils on the injectors: Factory spec is 13.8 ohms.
1= 11mega ohms
2= 13.8
3= 14 ohms
4= 13.9
5= OL
6=13.8 .

I was going to have another set of OEM injectors rebuilt but the fact that the coils failed on these has me taking back that idea. The coils in these injectors cannot be replaced and are all 30+ years old. Not wanted to wait for more coils to die at any moment I am going to try some new Aisan injectors from Oside 1988-92 Toyota Land Cruiser Performance Fuel Injectors More Power & Torque! | eBay
Dont really care they are 12 holes vs 4 vs 1, just that they are new and will work well. I'll report back if they do in fact work.
This is a comparative photo I got back from the vendor:
IMG_6253.jpeg

Not going to fault WitchHunter since the coils are not serviceable and they tested good when they left their facility.

Edit: I asked for more info on the injector flow rate from Oside. They state that the flow rate at 43.5psi is 220cc which is within the factory spec for the stock injectors (188-236).

Last edited:
Well you win some and you lose some. Now the cruiser is idling rough. It was perfect for a hour drive. Started it up the next day and now its idling rough like it has a misfire almost. Currently trying hunt down any vacuum leaks. Hoping its a bad connection somewhere and not one of the refreshed injectors since those would be a pain to go back in a replace.

Same here. I replaced injectors with a set that I had sent to Witchhunter (not faulty Witchhunter here) and installed and the 3FE ran great for a couple of months. I had a couple of occasions where I felt a slight miss but it cleared up until the morning it did not clear. Now the miss is constant and feels like only one cylinder. I have been delaying pulling the upper intake to test injectors. Injectors I sent to WH sat around for about 3 years before I installed, maybe that's a factor I don't know, nor do I know if I do have a bad injector but signs point to that right now.

I feel your pain :lol:

Same here. I replaced injectors with a set that I had sent to Witchhunter (not faulty Witchhunter here) and installed and the 3FE ran great for a couple of months. I had a couple of occasions where I felt a slight miss but it cleared up until the morning it did not clear. Now the miss is constant and feels like only one cylinder. I have been delaying pulling the upper intake to test injectors. Injectors I sent to WH sat around for about 3 years before I installed, maybe that's a factor I don't know, nor do I know if I do have a bad injector but signs point to that right now.

I feel your pain :lol:
Shoot! Yeah I think these injectors are starting to age out maybe? Not sure if sitting around was a factor. Maybe since mine did too! I’ll have a few spares now. Let me know if you need one good injector.

Shoot! Yeah I think these injectors are starting to age out maybe? Not sure if sitting around was a factor. Maybe since mine did too! I’ll have a few spares now. Let me know if you need one good injector.

I tested all my old injectors today and all were within spec. Wanted to make sure before pulling the upper intake off to check the rebuilt injectors. Pulling the intake from the 3FE is not that bad. With the upper half off the injectors were accessible and all 6 of these that Witchhunter rebuilt were within spec. I have two wiring harness connectors that have broken tabs and I think I should replace them. After putting all the pieces back in place and firing it up the miss was gone, now I suspect a loose connection at an injector.

FYI if you only loosely screw in the banjo bolt for the cold start injector a fuel leak will be the result, and not an insignificant one.

I tested all my old injectors today and all were within spec. Wanted to make sure before pulling the upper intake off to check the rebuilt injectors. Pulling the intake from the 3FE is not that bad. With the upper half off the injectors were accessible and all 6 of these that Witchhunter rebuilt were within spec. I have two wiring harness connectors that have broken tabs and I think I should replace them. After putting all the pieces back in place and firing it up the miss was gone, now I suspect a loose connection at an injector.

FYI if you only loosely screw in the banjo bolt for the cold start injector a fuel leak will be the result, and not an insignificant one.
Sweet! Glad it all got fixed. Also glad you didnt cause a fire with that leak. haha. Its always fun cracking that bolt to relieve the pressure before taking it all apart. Gas sprays everywhere.
Did you ever take your harness apart to check that pinch area that can cause problems with the 3FE ? Seems like some guys have had serious melt issues there. Hopefully just a bad connection and easy to fix.

Im back!
Well I got the O-side Tiger injectors in a couple weeks ago and they went in with no problems. Pig tails were a bit long but it all fit nicely in the end. No leaks to date and they work. But I wouldn't say there is a performance increase at all. Maybe Ill get 1mpg better.
Stats:
50038673988_0471947bb0_c.jpg

Fit:
50038671648_8eee0422dd_c.jpg

50039218361_3717c937e9_c.jpg

50039218456_ca41206a89_c.jpg

Im back!
Well I got the O-side Tiger injectors in a couple weeks ago and they went in with no problems. Pig tails were a bit long but it all fit nicely in the end. No leaks to date and they work. But I wouldn't say there is a performance increase at all. Maybe Ill get 1mpg better.
Stats:
50038673988_0471947bb0_c.jpg

Fit:
50038671648_8eee0422dd_c.jpg

50039218361_3717c937e9_c.jpg

50039218456_ca41206a89_c.jpg

Shoots! Looks like a brand new motor in there. Gotta get that rig dirty

I still wasn't running as well as I would have liked though after the injector swap. I was having issues with the kick-down cable adjustment and the O2 sensors were shot which was really not helping my EFI system work as well as it should be. One of my issues with putting new O2 sensors in my 62 was that the nuts holding the sensors on were so rusted I had no hope of getting them out. The ideal solution would be to have a whole new exhaust system built but I am having a hard time find a shop in Seattle willing to make a 1 cat system to replace the 2 cat (something about federal regulations or some BS). So I was trying to figure out how to solve this problem......
Step in @TheNeek ! This generous man offered to give me his old FJ62 exhaust system that he just ripped out for his cummins swap. His system was not as rusty and his O2 sensors came right out! So the plan for now was to put new sensors in his pipes and just swap them for my bad sensor pipes.
50027572943_3033dbb2b2_c.jpg

I soaked all the bolts in penetrant for 2 days and used a torch to attack the bolts. They resisted but gave in eventually. This of course meant I needed all new hardware, so that was quickly ordered. Thankfully I already had some exhaust gaskets I had purchased from Onur a ways back.
50027572808_141fc551f1_c.jpg

50036125822_58371cc1c2_c.jpg

Found a broken exhaust cushion..
50028109246_9b7ed01684_c.jpg

50027572838_f9b5a5cbe8_c.jpg

50028109036_ce04da2c36_c.jpg

New sensors:
50036125772_89d2820537_c.jpg

The connection over the transmission was super hard to reconnect but I pulled it off in a weird contorted arm position:
50028372897_e9dfbc6181_c.jpg

All bolted back up!
50035320003_f8e01115c6_c.jpg

I fiddled with the kick down cable more and got it back to where it was pre intake work and oh boy does the cruiser run better now! Not only is the check engine light finally off but it idles smooth, starts better and runs so nice. So happy this stuff is finally done and it all works well. I started this project on March 30th! hahahaha :slap: :steer: Huge thanks to the Seattle cruiser peeps for helping motivate me and pushing me to get this project done.

Do you have to be smog legal where you are? Good lord that stock 62 exhaust routing is #&$@%=+/&@$** !!
Seriously! It’s pretty bad. No we don’t have smog here in Seattle but most exhaust shops don’t want to remove cats. I wish I could get that sweet OTRAMM exhaust. Now that I have new sensors I bought myself some time. I think I am going to try and get a welder a build my own system like @Kleatus did for his 62.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom