Charlottesville, Va Roll Call? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Both trans and transfer on these are pretty bulletproof, but couldn't hurt. You could always just run it then maybe throw in a remanned trans down the line, would be shocked if you ever needed to do anything with the x-fer.
Both trans and transfer on these are pretty bulletproof, but couldn't hurt. You could always just run it then maybe throw in a remanned trans down the line, would be shocked if you ever needed to do anything with the x-fer.
Welp idk what I'm gonna do, OTRAMM has a payment plan but I believe it's only up to 12 months, so that would be at least $800 per month, and I don't believe I'll be able to make those payments for a whole year. I've been looking at used Sequoias, 100 series, FJ Cruisers, and Mitsubishi Monteros as an alternative to rebuilding the engine. What're y'all's opinions on the 03-06 Monteros?
Or a 1st gen rav4 then lift it and put bigger tires

Why don't you look for an old 4runner or an older Tacoma? You dont need the size and seating capacity (or gas hog) of the sequoia or the 100, FJ Cruisers are not cheap to get but would be reliable and could probably find one that is already moderately trail worthy. Monteros are cheap but for a reason and the parts arent super available, if you are very mechanically inclined then that could be an option its similar from what ive seen to buying an old Discovery. Rav 4 is not going to handle larger tires well, have open diffs, and its just not beefy enough for reliable trail runs over and over. You could get a 3rd gen four runner for pretty cheap that runs reliably and is easily modified. A pre 2003ish 4Runner or Tacoma would be good cars to learn on that could still be reliable for a very affordable price.

Yeah I've bee looking at those used
Why don't you look for an old 4runner or an older Tacoma? You dont need the size and seating capacity (or gas hog) of the sequoia or the 100, FJ Cruisers are not cheap to get but would be reliable and could probably find one that is already moderately trail worthy. Monteros are cheap but for a reason and the parts arent super available, if you are very mechanically inclined then that could be an option its similar from what ive seen to buying an old Discovery. Rav 4 is not going to handle larger tires well, have open diffs, and its just not beefy enough for reliable trail runs over and over. You could get a 3rd gen four runner for pretty cheap that runs reliably and is easily modified. A pre 2003ish 4Runner or Tacoma would be good cars to learn on that could still be reliable for a very affordable price.
Yeah I've been looking at those used 1st gen tacomas, but I gotta get settled into my new job first as I've only been working at it for about a week. I turn 20 in a few months and I don't have a credit card yet so I would get goofed by APR and probably wouldn't be approved for a loan since I have no credit score

I'd be down for a week day trip if anyone wants to lead. You guys seem to know the area. Meet up for breakfast somewhere.. Then go from there? Any takers? I'm on 31" tires with a 2 inch lift ...no sliders. (read: mostly easy trails) But I do have Warn 8274 if needed.
Me and some friends were gonna go up there last December and camp, but ended up not doing it since our 4x4s are our daily drivers

I've done flagpole with my stock 5th gen 4runner multiple times. I wont take it down union though, even though it could Probably do it.

A fun side trip is to go back out flagpole and down reddish knob rd. Look for a dirt road on the right about halfway down. It has a couple of fun little water crossings and will lead you straight to the best, worst pizza you ever had. Then you can just take 33 back over the mountain. Or look for the blue/gray trail on the way and make another loop.

Theres days of dirt around here you just need some quality time with Google maps and a flexible schedule.

There is nothing at flagpole/union springs that you can’t do in a stock vehicle. An fj60 on 31s will have no issues with damage. You might get hung up in one spot but some careful driving should get you through and there are 10 bazillion trees so winching is no trouble. It’s a fun day trip for sure.

I would be down for a day trip sometime. That’s about all I can swing with my crazy schedule. @bkfj40 can make us breakfast before we head out.

There is nothing at flagpole/union springs that you can’t do in a stock vehicle. An fj60 on 31s will have no issues with damage. You might get hung up in one spot but some careful driving should get you through and there are 10 bazillion trees so winching is no trouble. It’s a fun day trip for sure.

I would be down for a day trip sometime. That’s about all I can swing with my crazy schedule. @bkfj40 can make us breakfast before we head out.

Im in for a local day trip. My LC is currently running basically just straight pipes since my down pipe is leaking so bad but that shouldn't stop me from doing a little local riding. I'll just ride in the back of the line so you and your passenger can still have a conversation.

Can anyone else get time off to do this during the week? I'm retired and can come any day.
Would most likely have to be a weekend for me, as I l'm busy during the week with class. I'd have to request a day off from work like a month or so in advance to do so. I would love to, but idk if it'll be a good idea since my cruiser is my daily and I need to make it last another year or so to save up and get another 4x4 with less miles to daily

Would most likely have to be a weekend for me, as I l'm busy during the week with class. I'd have to request a day off from work like a month or so in advance to do so. I would love to, but idk if it'll be a good idea since my cruiser is my daily and I need to make it last another year or so to save up and get another 4x4 with less miles to daily
My cruiser is my daily too. Really I wouldn't worry about it. You might ding a quarter or rocker panel at worst. You probably will put some light scratches in the clear coat down the sides. (known affectionately as "pin stripes" ) The trails I ride don't come close to rolling a truck. And with a group you'll have spotters and some seasoned guys there to help you with your line. Really it's a great experience.

My cruiser is my daily too. Really I wouldn't worry about it. You might ding a quarter or rocker panel at worst. You probably will put some light scratches in the clear coat down the sides. (known affectionately as "pin stripes" ) The trails I ride don't come close to rolling a truck. And with a group you'll have spotters and some seasoned guys there to help you with your line. Really it's a great experience.
I've still got my running boards on. Would those be a problem with getting dinged up?

I can go during the week if I’m in town.

I’m not advocating to wheel your DD if money is tight, but I will say I ran Union springs last year with a stock Cherokee on bald road tires and he made it through everything without any issues. Nothing scary about the trail itself and totally stock vehicle friendly.

trail leaders have to be LEADERS. Any good one will holler on the radio that there is a rough section ahead. Then # 2 position holds up while the leader gets his truck in an out of the way location. Then, he and usually others will get out and spot each truck thru the section. Many times there are bypasses to hard sections. But a good leader will watch your truck and make sure your tires are on the right line to minimize damage. That being said, ultimately it's your decision to go off road and you hold all responsibility for any damage.

I've had great leaders, good leaders and a few not so good. If you get in a spot that you are unsure of you can stop moving and call for a spotter. On my last trip one new driver was particularly nervous and going very slow. To the point of slowing down the group. By mid day someone had convinced him to leave his truck at the camp ground and jump in with as passenger with another person/vehicle to gain experience. You're welcome to leave your truck at the trailhead and ride with me.

I've got a fix mounted ham and cb if that helps.

I've ridden pretty much all the dirt around here many times....on a dirt bike. I'm new to doing this on 4 wheels. Im familiar with the routes and difficulty and definitely can keep us from getting lost. Maybe not the best spotter but happy to give it a go if no one else is available.

I’m happy to lead and spot. It’s finding the time, for me, that’s the issue. We are finishing the first round of renovation work on our “new” house. After that’s done my schedule should open up.

I’m happy to lead and spot. It’s finding the time, for me, that’s the issue. We are finishing the first round of renovation work on our “new” house. After that’s done my schedule should open up.
I hear you. Would love to take part as well but time off is hard to come by..

Hey I need y'all's advice. So in Spring and Summer I burn 1-2qts every 500 or so miles, and I use 15w40 oil. Changed the oil the other week with 15w-40 again and now I'm burning 1-2qts every 230-280 miles. Just added some 10w40 to try and slow down oil consumption. What oil weight should I use for the cold weather? 10w30 dino?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom