LC & LX470 Tesla Style Screen Radio Upgrade with Climate Control: General Discussions (12 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2004 LC. Upgraded from PX3 to PX6 last weekend.

Used existing cables from PX3. Only swapped out the CanBus decoder box and moved the OEM HVAC box from the previous install.

- Front touch buttons [Defrost, Rear, Off] don't work as they did on the PX3 install. Seeking input from RhinoRadios.
- Sound seems different. Medium volume doesn't happen until about level 30 [of 40], whereas I used the PX3 at 15-20 most of the time. Not sure what's causing the drop out yet.

It's super responsive. It will work as you expect a modern digital device should. Boots quickly.

GPS, HVAC [via digital inputs], Navigation[Google/Waze], Radio, Music [Pandora], Movies[via USB HD], CarPlay[Built In] ... all work well.

I'm happy with the device. Presume only a setting remains of issue on the sound that I've yet to uncover.

Can anyone that reported issues earlier in the thread update us on the situation? Did you fix it? Was the problem with the unit or installation?

The Land Cruiser uses JBL radio/amp, and the LX uses Mark Levinson amp. That might be why the provided audio wires/pins don’t match up for me. If you’re ordering for the LC, just be aware of this.
I have an 06 LC too, please share once you figure out the audio issues with the wiring.

Call them. Go thru your checklist of questions

I've talked to Rhino Radios and they have told me that my 2002 LX470 is NOT supported. This is based on pictures I have sent them of my stock system. I was not able to get a very specific reason why it was not supported, but the picture of the system that they do support for the 2002 LX shows a touch screen that does not have climate control integrated as mine does.

My system looks VERY similar to the 2003 LX that they do support. I am contemplating ordering that and giving it a shot. Although that is an expensive gamble.

Does anyone know of any other vendors that may help with this type of after market system? I can't find it now, but I think I read earlier in the thread about a place that can outfit iPads to get similar results.

Thanks.

IMG_6204.jpg

I've talked to Rhino Radios and they have told me that my 2002 LX470 is NOT supported. This is based on pictures I have sent them of my stock system. I was not able to get a very specific reason why it was not supported, but the picture of the system that they do support for the 2002 LX shows a touch screen that does not have climate control integrated as mine does.

My system looks VERY similar to the 2003 LX that they do support. I am contemplating ordering that and giving it a shot. Although that is an expensive gamble.

Does anyone know of any other vendors that may help with this type of after market system? I can't find it now, but I think I read earlier in the thread about a place that can outfit iPads to get similar results.

Thanks.

View attachment 2128303
It may seem like a pain, but try removing the original radio from the dash (Keeping cables connected) and see if the match up with the 2003 discussion pictures.

I think mistered123 still has a px3 1st gen Tesla radio he was trying to sell.

do you plan on replacing your amp or trying to use factory hardware?

Hey guys this is awesome! I am stereo ignorant, but my local sound shop says they'll install it if I buy it. I followed the link above to Ali Express and am buying the one that comes with a free backup camera setup. From what I understand, these units don't come with installation instructions? If I'm asking too much I'm sorry in advance, but has anyone put together install instructions or a wiring guide that I could give to my install shop? I'm going to do an amp and speakers too.

Installed the radio. Everything is working. Haven't installed the new back up cam yet. Good suprise is my 6 disk (in center console) OEM changer is working!!

Only thing that's weird is my inclinometer says I'm at like a 45 degree tilt, which I'm not. Any ideas about that? Haven't dug that deep into the console settings, so maybe it thinks I'mn in china or something. My GPS seems to work tho.

...If I'm asking too much I'm sorry in advance, but has anyone put together install instructions or a wiring guide that I could give to my install shop? I'm going to do an amp and speakers too.
Check the first post. I created an install guide to get people started. I did a full audio replacement as well.

Installed the radio. Everything is working. Haven't installed the new back up cam yet. Good suprise is my 6 disk (in center console) OEM changer is working!!

Only thing that's weird is my inclinometer says I'm at like a 45 degree tilt, which I'm not. Any ideas about that? Haven't dug that deep into the console settings, so maybe it thinks I'mn in china or something. My GPS seems to work tho.
When you are on a flat ground, press and hold on the white car until it resets to flat (baseline).

No wonder people are having wiring problems . My friend has the exact same model year , just 3 months apart yet his wiring to the radio is completely different to mine.they are both 2003 facelift models

Reactions: mvo
Hi! Thanks a lot for the guide and work! I am sorry if this has been written before, but I have tried to search the threads about the screen.

Does it fit LX470 99 with Nakamichi?

This seems to fit according to the ad, but no reply from the seller. Thank you!

Hi! Thanks a lot for the guide and work! I am sorry if this has been written before, but I have tried to search the threads about the screen.

Does it fit LX470 99 with Nakamichi?

This seems to fit according to the ad, but no reply from the seller. Thank you!
Personally, I would not buy it for the 99 since people have not been successful (that I am aware of) in getting the HVAC to work.

What app you using?
I forget off hand. Something I downloaded from the google play store. I’ll check when j get to my car. But my gos also doesn’t work all the time, so I wonder if that’s how it gets it’s inclinometer info. But also in the settings area it shows there are no magnetic sensors. I’ll try and take a pic of that too.

Hello Mud Community,

Over the last 9 months there has been some great headway made on the ZhiFang 12.1" Tesla style touchscreen radio with integrated climate controls. There are a few dedicated threads to specific installs and I figured it was about time to create a general discussion forum as lots of good install info if getting buried in these threads.

For those of you who have not seen this yet it seems to have started here: Tesla style head unit - has anyone seen this?

Specific installation experiences have been documented here:
Successfully installed a Tesla Style headunit into a 2005 LX470
"Tesla Style" found for older LX470/LC100
2003 LC Tesla Screen Install Write-Up

Here is what they look like: ( mistered123 I hope you're ok with me snagging your pics for reference)
BEFORE

AFTER

The quad core units were the first batch to come out late last year. Part #s are ZF-1301S. These used Android 7.1 and (once the wiring issues were worked out) they worked pretty well. Overall the hardware and OS where described as a little clunky, but a definite improvement over the original touch screen radios and cassette decks.

The six core units (PX6) are the latest batch out as a release of this post and are pretty good. Part # for the LC version is ZF-1301X. These are not showing up on the ZhiFang website yet, but they have ZhiFang's name on them. They look to have the same cables as the original quad core units but have worked through most of the wiring issues. Interfaces are crisp and fast with the only general complaint is the amount of time it takes to start up once you turn your key on. This is typically around 20 seconds. AC controls work great and utilize existing Toyota circuit boards as part of your original radio.

I'd like to send out BIG thanks to mistered123, LX470MK, Swainbuilt, Wetwillie, revoked, loeky, Ell Ex & all the others that have contributed so far with testing and Q&A.

These units are sold by a variety of online resellers, but they seem to be made by one manufacturer in China. They don't come with assembly or operations instructions...AND the technical support is lacking. Some have been buying from a US based radio shop, but it sounds like they were just buying these radios in bulk from China. Here is where you can find the PX6 chip set radios online for purchase:
The only thing I can tell different between the LX and LC versions is the additional side trim for the air vents as the LX trim tends to be in three pieces (one running the full width of the cassette deck) and the LC already has the appropriate vents.

Ell Ex has done a successful full install of the PX6 (6 core) units with Android in a 2006 LX470 with ML amp and custom apps. I'm in the middle of a full amp and speaker replacement with a 2004 LX470 and the PX6 unit. A few others have been working on 2003 and older installs. I've heard of a few people wanting to try these with non-nav (dedicated AC control version) 100 series trucks, but have not seen one yet.

The 2004 and newer seem to be plug and play for cables (once you figure out where they all go). There seem to still be a few extra plugs left over (3 in my case) that may have been part of the factory test.

The 2003 and older units are needing either another harness from the manufacturer or a few wire splices to work. There was a request for the "Top Model" wire harness for these truck to avoid splicing, but I cannot confirm its the final solution.

No confirmations I can find yet for getting the factory backup camera working. I'm looking at installing a new HD camera now to replace the 16 year old factory one. One in the back and one up front hopefully.

I am hoping to write up a first draft of an installation guide for my experiences on a full amp replacement and am willing to share with others to alter for 2003 and older versions as well as ML integrations/tips/tricks.

My hope is that this can be a source for good general information on the radio installs, applications, mods and troubleshooting and the model specific threads can serve those specific needs without getting cluttered with off topic discussions.

Hope you all find this helpful. I'll try to get my install guide uploaded soon.
PLEASE ADD YOUR EXPERIENCES AND COMMENTS.

************************************************************************************************
11/05/19 Update: Version 0.0 of the Install Guide Uploaded. Please review and private message me if you have suggestions for improvements or additions. Would really like to add sections for 2003 and older installs and any other variations seen. Also, any suggestions for App are appreciated.
************************************************************************************************

Hello BigLittle,

I have seen you have been very active regarding the Tesla Style Screen, thank’s for your dedication!

If it si possible I would like to explain you my situation with the screen because have not been able to figure it out:

I own a 2006 LC with factory navigation and auto A/C. Attached are the pictures of how the front and rear of my OEM radio and A/C look (Picture 1 and 2).
I bought a PX3 screen with the specs showed in (Picture 3).

After installing the screen everything works except A/C control, it just shows the configuration it was left in the OEM system before removing it but nothing can be changed. (Picture 4)

1- They told me I had the wrong harness so I bought the “Premium Harness” with the green cables but still it does not work. (Picture 9)

2- Besides the cables for the A/C box (Picture 5), in (Picture 6) is how the OEM vehicle harness are connected to the OEM vehicle radio.

3- The vehicle OEM harness does not have the cable that goes connected in position 3 on (Picture 2).
The cable is supposed to look like this (Picture 7) but my car’s harness does not have it.

4- My car’s OEM harness has all the cables in (Picture 8) except cable 3.

The questions I have are:

1- Is this cable 3 the one that controls the A/C?

2- If my car’s OEM harness does not have this cable how can A/C work?

3- After connecting everything I still have 6 cables free -anywhere to be connected to- (Picture 9)

4- Do you think I have a hardware issue or a software issue?

5- Can you show me how your system is configurated? All the system settings including the advanced settings?

6- Any help will be gratefully recieved!

Thank You!

A5417C45-9938-439F-B455-596442159E44.png

4B9E5DF9-ACCB-441D-81DC-6872351F0045.png

CE58D001-2B85-43C3-B544-AEAC1B047188.png

DFCA78F4-3F61-4646-9F6A-028AC9806387.png

3D85D4E8-414D-45E5-B18C-64E144CBF654.jpeg

Yes the air conditioning works. People are having issues with the 1998-2002 non-nav air conditioning, so I can only speak for the 2006 (my year). What is your year?

The 2001-2002 nav with a/c top buttons are different from the 2003-2007. I’m not sure if the 2003 nav is slightly different (connections) or if it’s the same as 2004-2007 nav.

1. Transfer the black OEM HVAC part with the three plugs to the Tesla 12.1. I have a picture (2nd screenshot) of it above.

2. Connections: You would have to take a picture of your connections for us to troubleshoot it. Sorry my picture is a mess, but I’ll take more detailed pictures at a later time.

Hello MVO, thanks for your help and pictures!

Above in this forum I explain completely my situation, any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thank You!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom