Charcoal canister rebuild - 80 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
80 Series Charcoal Canister rebuild. Bench grinder removes the seal cleanly. Wrap up is clean the valves, replace the old charcoal, button it up and reseal. You can weld it closed or use a good epoxy like JB weld. I will finish mine up later today with a little rattle can paint. The problem was clear on this can, the valves were full of debris and the check ball was seized up.

Another mod is to drill out the check ball on the “to tank” valve and remove the BB and spring to allow the can to always flow. My friend LCP did this and 3 years later it is still going strong with zero issues.

I am doing that on the next can and will run both for 3 months each and follow up.

A11479A8-0906-41FB-BF20-3C0091AC46E2.jpeg

7744E0B5-873D-40F0-92AF-C535A445E6CE.jpeg

F0D86440-F314-4DD3-9A72-119D20E747A4.jpeg

9D2FF069-CDA0-4015-AF43-6F3834CE12CA.jpeg

9F71E422-998D-4BF2-BBA7-440E2F265544.jpeg

I think my 1995 looks different, i wonder if they vary by year or mines been swapped, OR I cannot remember what it looks like. One of those three

Interesting thread. Where did you source new clean charcoal? Reminds me of some of the "Brita" filter rebuilds I've seen online that talk about using fish tank charcoal to rebuild those expensive little buggers.

Glenn in Marana

As LCP suggested, I pick some up at the local pet store a few years back when I did this
20190530_102614.jpg

Interesting thread. Where did you source new clean charcoal? Reminds me of some of the "Brita" filter rebuilds I've seen online that talk about using fish tank charcoal to rebuild those expensive little buggers.

Glenn in Marana
Local pet store if they sell supplies for aquariums. Watch the price! Petmart was around 20 bucks, got mine on-line for 8 bucks.

Can this also be done on a FJ40 cannister? Appears similar

@Ken in AZ Very nice write up sir! I just found a charcoal cannister for my ‘76.

I have 2 80 Series charcoal canisters sitting on my work bench that I have not been touched yet. If someone needs this done let me know 👍

I have 2 80 Series charcoal canisters sitting on my work bench that I have not been touched yet. If someone needs this done let me know 👍
Been needing to rebuild one but short on time now so Ken if you want to take on that task let me know and I can give you one in replacement that I have that has never been torn into.

Been needing to rebuild one but short on time now so Ken if you want to take on that task let me know and I can give you one in replacement that I have that has never been torn into.
Happy to do it if you buy the charcoal and let’s say a six pack of Budweiser that we can share while we do it buddy!

If you guys do this can I come over and watch? I have one, maybe two that may be needing rebuild
Happy to do it if you buy the charcoal and let’s say a six pack of Budweiser that we can share while we do it buddy!
If you guys do this can I come iver and watch? I have one, maybe two that may be needing this. I can also bring pizza and MORE beer if needed! Tom

If you guys do this can I come over and watch? I have one, maybe two that may be needing rebuild
If you guys do this can I come iver and watch? I have one, maybe two that may be needing this. I can also bring pizza and MORE beer if needed! Tom
Yes I was going to cut a few open but I have been messing with other stuff on the 80. I have 2 or 3 sitting on my work bench right now. You just need to buy the charcoal the rest is really easy. We could do a few in short order.

Cool. I can start looking around for activated charcoal. Will get with Mark and you soon. Tom

Nice work...much better than the ugly/poor fitting GM unit I installed. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom