Charcoal canister rebuild. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

splitshot

Head cook, Bottle washer, and Peace keeper.
Threads
Was it here? I remember reading the post somewhere but nothing on the search and forgot to save it.

Thanks.
The second one in this video is what I have on the 4runner, does not look rebuildable. Wish I could just bypass it.
Probably end up buying a new one.

This is a good thread on CC tear-downs/rehabs in the hundo neighborhood: Charcoal Canister Replacement Option - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/charcoal-canister-replacement-option.1006708/

My current pursuit: I bought a cheap but brand new Prius CC, which looks darn near identical to ours. Have not installed, but have heard from credible people that it's drop-in levels of sameness to the gold plated version they try to sell us.
Oh, go figure, I just clicked "buy now" on the Gold plated version from a Japanese vendor. :lol: :bang:

Oh, go figure, I just clicked "buy now" on the Gold plated version from a Japanese vendor. :lol: :bang:
Take heart. The time and aggravation you've saved yourself by doing a simple rip-and-replace--instead of a deep dive into charcoal canister barnyard engineering--is worth the money.

That being said (barnyard charcoal canister engineering junky voice)...you got any of those codes you're popping, and want to share the post-install status later?

Take heart. The time and aggravation you've saved yourself by doing a simple rip-and-replace--instead of a deep dive into charcoal canister barnyard engineering--is worth the money.

That being said (barnyard charcoal canister engineering junky voice)...you got any of those codes you're popping, and want to share the post-install status later?

After I dropped the spare it looks like "Barnyard" or probably more like "Junkyard" engineering. The previous owner was a mechanic and the vehicle belonged to a long time customer of his and has serviced it since it went out of warranty then eventually bought it from her. Looks like he took a shortcut to pass emissions at some point.
Vac can.jpg

Most common code is the usual P0440
Followed by a P0441
Occasionally a rare P0172 (caused by a rich idle after fueling up).

Swapped out this morning. The biggest pita was getting all those crusty, hard, old hoses off and someone tossed a differential in the way.
Think I have got that long term intermittent monkey off my back. First thing I noticed is the truck idles better. Then I went down to fill the
tank (this is where it would load up when starting again). No issue. Ran a forced evap system test with the handheld and Zero codes.
Time will tell, but I am pretty optimistic at this point.:bounce:

With my ls-swap build (LM7 4L60E) I am really not looking forward to running the computer for DTC's. I re-established all of the OEM EVAP system same as the GMC Sierra but routed the fuel vapor hoses into new places where the CC could be installed and easily serviced.
Hoping my garage smells less like a petroleum factory like was the case with the previous engine.
20230909_202754.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom