DT Headers Dyno Result Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mine looked the same.

Purchased in August 2011 as part of a group buy. They were revision A.

Were yours leaking or just corroded?

Both.

Okay, good news. DT is going to send me a new set of the headers in the revised stainless steel. I'm paying $70, $20 for shipping and $50 for half of the difference between the mild steel price and the stainless price. They do warranty their headers for life, if you are the original purchaser of the headers and you still own the vehicle.

I just need to pick up a new set of gaskets and probably new studs and nuts. Last time every one of them came out of the head. Hopefully the install goes faster this time.

Okay, good news. DT is going to send me a new set of the headers in the revised stainless steel. I'm paying $70, $20 for shipping and $50 for half of the difference between the mild steel price and the stainless price. They do warranty their headers for life, if you are the original purchaser of the headers and you still own the vehicle.

I just need to pick up a new set of gaskets and probably new studs and nuts. Last time every one of them came out of the head. Hopefully the install goes faster this time.

Man, I had to replace my DT headers, due to similar rust causing a leak. All that the warranty guy would do for me was to sell me a new pair at a slight discount. Kind of lame "warranty" service, considering the company's choice of materials is ultimately what led to my exhaust leaking. This was only a few months back. Wish they had some consistency over at DT!

Man, I had to replace my DT headers, due to similar rust causing a leak. All that the warranty guy would do for me was to sell me a new pair at a slight discount. Kind of lame "warranty" service, considering the company's choice of materials is ultimately what led to my exhaust leaking. This was only a few months back. Wish they had some consistency over at DT!

Were you the original buyer of the headers?

Yes. I argued with the rep for about 30 mins, but he wouldn't budge.
That’s BS. Their website even states they provide a lifetime warranty on headers for the original purchaser.

This might be a silly question, has anyone wrapped their DT headers in Exhaust wrap? I have no first hand experience with this, I thought this reduces the heat? Or is it just something you see in racing?

This might be a silly question, has anyone wrapped their DT headers in Exhaust wrap? I have no first hand experience with this, I thought this reduces the heat? Or is it just something you see in racing?
Someone in CA planning on installing these headers and hiding them in thermo tec? :steer:

@trdcorolla It was an honest Question. I did just order a pair. Registration is due in May and If smog is required I will wait for install until after. This truck was just smogged less than 30 days ago though when I bought it. I didn't do my research well enough to clarify if they were CARB compliant or not, but I am going to just go through with it. I might paint them black, get them a little dirty before my next smog test in 2 years or so. The place I normally go doesn't seem to be super diligent, but I haven't really ever tried to sneak anything past them...… so we will see.

Don't know the answer to the heat question, but I think somewhere in the paperwork DT explicitly forbids heat wrap. Something about the warranty going void.

When I had my LX smogged in So Cal last year , the smog tech inspected the manifolds to make sure that it was the original and no headers was installed. My car failed since the Ecu has not reached its full readiness. I then had to drive back home to NorCal and had it smogged again. The tech inspected the manifolds again with a flashlight from the top and crawled underneath . I asked him what he was looking for and he said he was checking if I have headers in it. Same thing happened to my GX470 when I had it smogged that the tech was inspecting the manifolds. This is the reasom why I have not had my brand new DT headers installed yet on my 100. Paying the high cost of labor to have it installed then having them to remove them if smog fails the visual is an very expensive proposition

When I had my LX smogged in So Cal last year , the smog tech inspected the manifolds to make sure that it was the original and no headers was installed. My car failed since the Ecu has not reached its full readiness. I then had to drive back home to NorCal and had it smogged again. The tech inspected the manifolds again with a flashlight from the top and crawled underneath . I asked him what he was looking for and he said he was checking if I have headers in it. Same thing happened to my GX470 when I had it smogged that the tech was inspecting the manifolds. This is the reasom why I have not had my brand new DT headers installed yet on my 100. Paying the high cost of labor to have it installed then having them to remove them if smog fails the visual is an very expensive proposition

Good God, that's why I could never live in CA. Insane. I'm going to do the DT headers later this year (once budget permits) and have no worries about inspections here in TX.

Living here in the Bay Area, and with a rotation of 3-4 vehicles, we are in and out of SMOG shops pretty frequently.

I am surprised, no, shocked, to hear that there are actually SMOG places here in CA that are poking around with a flashlight looking for aftermarket headers. The SMOG shops/workers here in the Bay Area can barely string together a sentence in english let alone have the initiative or motivation to be looking for aftermarket parts on vehicles.

Sometimes you want smarts, experience, know-how in your automotive workers, but not SMOG guys, you want a guy who will plug his code reader in and rubber stamp your DMV paperwork.

If you have a SMOG guy with the gusto to start asking why he's looking at aftermarket headers on your truck, RUN away to a different shop.

@vman07 that’s my experience. Specially since it’s just a visual inspection. There’s not really any work involved for them to look the other way. Maybe something as little as a breakfast burrito will have them just mosey along..... I also noticed since our trucks are all wheel drive. They seems to move through them quick.

Just put the DT headers on my 2005 LC. Jake Smith at A Rusted Development did the labor. ardoffroad.com. I grabbed a new pair of upstream O2 sensors for him as well. I had the classic ticking exhaust and could see the cracks in the stock manifolds when I went down to pick up the truck. Hairline cracks right around the flange but if you held it at the right angle you could see light through the crack.

I'm very impressed with the difference in the truck. I picked it up and immediately hit a road trip with my boy down to the desert. It was only a 2.5 hour trip down but mixed highway driving at 80mph and then 2 lane roads over a pass at 7,500 feet (soldier summit in UT) and then lots of dirt roads in the Swell. The truck has better pick up for sure and feels like it doesn't have to try as hard. Cruising at 80mph also feels better, and I swear it down shifts less often. I also think I picked up some mpgeees, the computer told me I was at 14.8 since the fill up and that was right after I picked it up. I also did some light wheeling down in the desert on that tank... All in all I'm psyched. Didn't pay much more than cost for manifolds because I found the headers for 20% off and I had to get it fixed anyway. Sounds good too, just a slight difference but I can notice it.

Keep in mind I have a part time kit on the truck and have a flowmaster. Would totally recommend headers vs factory manifold.

NOTE: my headers came with air rails which I didn't need on my truck. We just cut them off. But if you do need air rails better make sure you get the headers with rails.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom