2004 LX Progress thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My daily commuter catch-all was a 2008 4Runner I got to 315k, but I always wanted a 100 series when the time was right. Finally snapped up a clean one owner 2004 with 185k mi.

In my search, there has been rotted frames, failed brake booster that prevented me from even leaving the dealer lot, a theft recovery showing different vins.

1) OME coils, LC shocks, and LX torsion bars? I'd say it drives okay and sits about 1" higher over stock N height. I don't have much of a reference point. I drove an 06 with failing AHC that wasn't too bad and some older 00-02's with AHC deleted.

2) Sunroof drain was conviently clogged, so day 2 was spent getting the carpet up. The areas behind the kick plates looked fine.

3) Steering rack looks clean, but its walking it a bit in a straight line, so maybe the bushings are shot.

4) Would love to swap out the 03-05 grill for the 06-07 grill.

5) Battery gauge stopped working, dealer wants $1300 for a new cluster, so either an OBD2 or scangauge will be fine by me.

6) Jonesing for the Nomad Sahara's (photoshopped) even though the 0 degree offset might be a bit much for my taste.

7) Nighttime headlights not very desirable. Neither is the infotainment so either a Grom or android component

8) TB/WP are done, so time to sort out all the filters and fluids as I suspect they might be due.

9) Techstream worked on the first attempt (thanks to Mud) so I'll explore that some more.

10) Need to look into the master/spare/valet key situation

IMG_1880 - Copy.jpg

unnamed (1).jpg

unnamed.jpg

nomad 2004-lexus-lx-470-base-4wd-4dr-suv.jpg

IMG_2030.jpg

7CECC506-16A5-41F9-9426-C8784093CA08.jpeg

Not mine, screenshot it from the photos thread a while back. Just trying to help you visualize

Congrats on the new lx

View attachment 3575039

Not mine, screenshot it from the photos thread a while back. Just trying to help you visualize

Congrats on the new lx
Thank you! I was combing so many threads and reverse image searching. The battery gauge is back in business now too.

How did you get the battery gauge working again?
I had the battery off and on disconnected while the interior was drying out. Its back to not working......

My new issue is the seatbelt wont click any more. I only put the driver seat back in and left all the rest of the interior disconnected so I'm sure its expecting something plugged in beyond the seat connectors.

I had the battery off and on disconnected while the interior was drying out. Its back to not working......

Ah I had assumed that would be the case. Unfortunately these instrument clusters have issues... gauges going out or behaving lazily (reading too low). The issue can be intermittent. Seems the LX's 03-05 have it the worst.

Big thread here pasted below if you are interested but the TLDR is that for the LX specifically, your only options are to pull the cluster and send it in for a rebuild ($500+), purchase new OEM cluster ($$$$+, and mileage odometer needs to be programmed), or live with the gauges malfunctioning - which it seems most do. If only the battery gauge is malfunctioning that doesn't seem too bad.

The LC apparently can be DIY repaired but requires purchasing new gauge stepper motors and soldering ability.

Decided to get an oil change for piece of mind and get things looked over.

They followed the book and did 7qts and was wayyyyy over the full line. At this point, we werent sure if it was the proper dipstick. Decided to start it up and it idled pretty bad, so that made it clear what the issue was. Backed out some oil and was fine.

The mylexus notes showed some previous history with loading green dye to chase AC leaks. We did find what I hope is just old green dye in the back lines by the passenger rear wheel well, Ill clean it up and assess because AC is good right now.

Gauges are a lost cause at this point. Only the speedometer and Tach are reliable at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom