Photos: Long Range Automotive 24 Gal Aux Tank for 80 Series Installed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
These pictures show an installed LRA 24 gallon aux tank on a 1992 80 series.

When shopping, I had a difficult time locating pictures of the position of installed 80 series LRA tanks (this is the smaller of two available) as may impact ground clearance and departure angle. I hope these pictures help others doing similar research.

The tank is located in the spare wheel bay. The spare must be removed and relocated. The tank rides nice and high, out of the way:
FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_5644.JPG

A pump delivers fuel from aux to the main tank. A dash switch turns the pump on and off and shows the aux tank fuel level.
IMG_5650.JPG

The tanks are fueled from a common point. When fueling, a pull switch controls which tank fuel is sent to. The out position, shown below, sends fuel to the aux tank; depressing it sends to the main tank.
IMG_5646.JPG

The tank was purchased from Cruiser Brothers. Local mechanics who know my 80 installed it. They said installation was straight forward and that everything that was needed was included.

The tank:
  • approximately doubles the vehicle range;
  • gets auxiliary fuel off the roof rack (sketchy for a number of reasons);
  • lowers the truck's center of gravity;
  • allows me to isolate one tank from the other, keeping one tank of good fuel as a measure of security for bad fuel that can be encountered while touring Mexico, as I often do;
  • allows one to stockpile cheap fuel and pass by expensive rural fuel when traveling, saving money.
Cheers,
T

Last edited:
Georg Esterer @orangefj45 and I (the Cruiser Brothers) appreciate the opportunity to be of service. We have inbound shipments once or twice a month - trying to keep stock on the shelf!

Nice installation
MUCH. better then going around with Jerry tanks on the roof or even worst attached at the rear bumper .
You have posted the benefits of a rear tank ,
I would stress the low center of gravity and the highly improved stability of the the veichle .
In other words you drive a much safer truck .
Must try the difference to understand !

Bye Renago

One of the best modifications you can make to an overland vehicle, no doubt. Congrats!

I've done it to pretty much all my vehicles, with varying ranges. I have two 80 series with sub tanks, one with 26 gallons and the other with 32. Range, when cruising at 70mph, stays around 560 miles. You mention a few points that make sense that I hadn't even considered.

I do believe there is such a thing as too big a tank. A friend of mine has both LRA tanks (main and sub), I believe with a total capacity of over 80 gallons. Driveability goes to sh*t, braking (which is already sketchy), etc. I'm pretty happy with around 54 gallons of fuel.

These pictures show an installed LRA 24 gallon aux tank on a 1992 80 series.

When shopping, I had a difficult time locating pictures of the position of installed 80 series LRA tanks (this is the smaller of two available) as may impact ground clearance and departure angle. I hope these pictures help others doing similar research.

The tank is located in the spare wheel bay. The spare must be removed and relocated. The tank rides nice and high, out of the way:
View attachment 1688192

View attachment 1688193

A pump delivers fuel from aux to the main tank. A dash switch turns the pump on and off and shows the aux tank fuel level.
View attachment 1688195

The tanks are fueled from a common point. When fueling, a pull switch controls which tank fuel is sent to. The out position, shown below, sends fuel to the aux tank; depressing it sends to the main tank. View attachment 1688194

The tank was purchased from Cruiser Brothers. Local mechanics who know my 80 installed it. They said installation was straight forward and that everything that was needed was included.

The tank:
  • approximately doubles the vehicle range;
  • gets auxiliary fuel off the roof rack (sketchy for a number of reasons);
  • lowers the truck's center of gravity;
  • allows me to isolate one tank from the other, keeping one tank of good fuel as a measure of security for bad fuel that can be encountered while touring Mexico, as I often do;
  • allows one to stockpile cheap fuel and pass by expensive rural fuel when traveling, saving money.
Cheers,
T
was it OEm dual filler? i just ordered this but already have an entire setup i peiced together so im curious.

I don't know whether or not it's OEM.

was it OEm dual filler? i just ordered this but already have an entire setup i peiced together so im curious.

I don't know whether or not it's OEM.

Yes, the Long Range Automotive kits for the 80 Series include a dual filler assembly that is OEM Toyota. Not a single part number but an assemblage of subsidiary p/n's from the manufacturer. The 80 Series aux tanks are the only LRA kits that use this component. The other aux kits use a twin-fill item that they manufacture.

We have been asked, but we do not sell these parts as a stand-alone. Why not? Well, here are the reasons:
  1. We offer a total solution with all necessary parts included - tank, fill tube, transfer pump, control/fuel gauge module, hoses, clamps, fittings and instructions - all new, all designed to work together based upon 30 years of tank design, production and support.
  2. We include customer service (to installing shops and DIY installs).
  3. Includes 3 year warranty.
Our "turn-key" approach does not include explaining how to track down, purchase and install parts sourced from other vendors - new or used. Just not what we do.

If you want to DIY using bits/pieces, there is an online store offering the OEM fill tube at $550 - no endorsement, just an FYI. Here is link OEM Toyota 80 Series Dual Filler Neck

Also a heads up regarding MUD comments on this vendor. Land Cruiser Heaven

Importing / selling parts is hard, so no judgement implied, just offering information for folks looking to DIY an aux tank using OEM tanks and components, using various new/used components.

upload_2018-5-19_7-50-19.png
upload_2018-5-19_7-51-0.png

Last edited:
My aux tank is proving very useful. I spent last week working in central and northern Nevada in a series of very remote valleys with no gasoline. I was able to drive from 8:00 am until 9:00 pm on dirt without needing to refuel, and with a quarter tank still in reserve. What a great product.

Georg Esterer @orangefj45 and I (the Cruiser Brothers) appreciate the opportunity to be of service. We have inbound shipments once or twice a month - trying to keep stock on the shelf!
just got my first order thank you for the great hats 2 of them. lol

Yes, the Long Range Automotive kits for the 80 Series include a dual filler assembly that is OEM Toyota. Not a single part number but an assemblage of subsidiary p/n's from the manufacturer. The 80 Series aux tanks are the only LRA kits that use this component. The other aux kits use a twin-fill item that they manufacture.

We have been asked, but we do not sell these parts as a stand-alone. Why not? Well, here are the reasons:
  1. We offer a total solution with all necessary parts included - tank, fill tube, transfer pump, control/fuel gauge module, hoses, clamps, fittings and instructions - all new, all designed to work together based upon 30 years of tank design, production and support.
  2. We include customer service (to installing shops and DIY installs).
  3. Includes 3 year warranty.
Our "turn-key" approach does not include explaining how to track down, purchase and install parts sourced from other vendors - new or used. Just not what we do.

If you want to DIY using bits/pieces, there is an online store offering the OEM fill tube at $550 - no endorsement, just an FYI. Here is link OEM Toyota 80 Series Dual Filler Neck

Also a heads up regarding MUD comments on this vendor. Land Cruiser Heaven

Importing / selling parts is hard, so no judgement implied, just offering information for folks looking to DIY an aux tank using OEM tanks and components, using various new/used components.

View attachment 1703938 View attachment 1703939
i bought all the pieces seperately as you know, and still couldnt make it all work. So Im handing it off to a more proficient mudder and installing your kit. is what it is.

just got my first order thank you for the great hats 2 of them. lol
And thank you for the order, Rich. Glad we could get the tank sooner vs. later.

On the apparel front, hope you wear them for a long time to come - maybe our new marketing message......

upload_2018-5-19_11-49-40.png

what a great solution for our gas hogs that like to go into remote places! and I wouldn't have to constantly choose fuel over WATER! We live in the Arizona desert, so I regularly carry five gallons of water in the truck even if I'm going to COSTCO! Never been too happy about the gas cans on the roof or even in the holder on my 4x4 Labs bumper. Now I can use it for the purpose that God intended, to carry a cooler full of beer to tailgates.

Will a 4X4 labs style bumper interfere with a 24 gal aux? Very interested... @RFB did you end up installing one of these with your bumper? Thoughts...?

Will a 4X4 labs style bumper interfere with a 24 gal aux? Very interested... @RFB did you end up installing one of these with your bumper? Thoughts...?
The only prob I had is you need to modify one bracket LRA supply thats it no biggie. we are in middle of a heat wave and seeing as I have to work in my driveway this has been on hold(ish) but when I get it figured out( directions are pretty vague) Im going to make a video for others. very least step by step and pics.

Last edited:
Still doing the install with my auxilary tank, don't necessarily like the fuel pump or a certain fitting so am sourcing a replacement and then to finish the wiring.

Still doing the install with my auxilary tank, don't necessarily like the fuel pump or a certain fitting so am sourcing a replacement and then to finish the wiring.

Any updates on the install?

Has anyone installed the 24 Aux tank with either a 4x4 labs or Slee rear bumper?
I set it up and then changed my mind at last minute so yes with a slight cut of mounting bracket and reweld it will fit with 4x4 labs that I can speak on.

I set it up and then changed my mind at last minute so yes with a slight cut of mounting bracket and reweld it will fit with 4x4 labs that I can speak on.
What did you change you mind to? no long range tank?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom