Need window tint advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm just getting started with my recently purchased 200 and want to finish the job that Toyota started by tinting the front windows as well as the rear gate window. First off, why did they choose not to tint the glass in the rear lift get? So bizarre, but I'm sure they have a reason.

Everything I've read says 20% is a good match to the existing factory tint, and to avoid highly metallic tints. Safe to say the same applies to the rear? Any other advice or pointers? thanks.

BTW I have a white 2009 w/ upgrade pkg.

I'm not a 200 guy, but I understand tint pretty well.

The percent of tint is completely dependent on several factors.... 20% tint on a Landcruiser with big windows and light color interior is different than 20% on a Lexus IS300 with black interior.

I would suggest finding a local tint shop - that offers a lifetime warranty (there is a huge variance in tint qualities - we use Johnson tint, it has a lifetime warranty and doesn't fade to purple) - and talk to them. Have them suggest based on your vehicle (interior color, light that comes in, tint on other windows), the local rules, what you can/can't get away with (for instance 35% in the front is legal here, anything darker is illegal - but in the 80 series I had, the light colored interior and the big front windshield 20% was a little darker than 35% on a car with a small windshield/dark interior so it was a safe bet).

I'm not normally a dark window guy...but I am extremely happy having decided to go "limousine" dark from the second row back, including the rear...with a bit lighter on the front row windows. There are three reasons I love it:

Security: You absolutely cannot see what I have stored in my LC in the second row and cargo.
Heat/Protection: It's amazing how much cooler the interior stays, even when parked on hot days...and it also protects the interior.
Privacy: I can see out just fine, but people cannot see me at all from the rear, or rear/sides. I have discovered that I really like this.

@NoogaCruiser I am a big fan of ceramic tint, if its available to you. It's usually more expensive, but has the added benefit of reducing the heat you feel from the sun. Has been a consistent upgrade to all my vehicles in the TX summer sun. I always drive with my arm on the door window ledge and can feel the difference.

I'm just getting started with my recently purchased 200 and want to finish the job that Toyota started by tinting the front windows as well as the rear gate window. First off, why did they choose not to tint the glass in the rear lift get? So bizarre, but I'm sure they have a reason.

Everything I've read says 20% is a good match to the existing factory tint, and to avoid highly metallic tints. Safe to say the same applies to the rear? Any other advice or pointers? thanks.

BTW I have a white 2009 w/ upgrade pkg.

First, I have been tinting (both myself and taking them places) vehicles for 28 years and have done many legal and illegal tint jobs. Second, I have owned 5 total 200 series. Therefore, I am pretty knowledgeable on this.

They did not tint the back window on the early (2008, 2009) models. Toyota has always erred on the safety / afraid of some legal ramifications side, and that is why I presume they did not do it. They do now.

Dealers add tint to the front windows as well now. Both my 2016 LC and my wife's 2017 LX came with dealer installed front window tint.

For your back window, you will want 5%. Because of the sunlight coming in the front, its going to look lighter than the rest if done at 20%. I did this on my 2008 LC and it looked great. I never did tint the front windows.

I also previously had a 2009 LX. I tinted everything 5% tint including the front windows and a strip. It was pretty sick. I doubt you want to do all that.

Take it to a local tint shop and get the best tint they offer in 5% and have them do it. If you are buying $30k rides, or certainly $65k, rides, no need to mess around with tinting it yourself, and no need to try and save $10 on cheaper tint for one window.

I’ve been a loyal fan of Formula 1 Pinnacle tint and 3M ceramic tint also.

It’s amazing at heat rejection.

Also covering the windshield is probably the most notable improvement I’ve ever noticed. In Texas, you can have it on your windshield, you just can’t sell a car with it. So dealers remove it.

But it’s a clear film and you’ll notice less heat immediately on the dash.

Living in Texas makes me an expert ; )

I'm a fan of Lumar Ceramic tint. I did 30% on all windows. This made the fronts mimic what are on the back and the backs are now near limo. We have little kids, so I didnt want the sun beating in on road trips. I'd highly recommend a good quality ceramic. It will help keep the heat out.

I have always use MATICO brand tint series Onyx 20%, match has been about perfect with the rear doors.

I have never seen a US spec LC without tint on the back window. That seems very odd to me. I suppose it could have been some isolated state that had a law prohibiting tinting the back window or something or it was broken in the past and was replaced with a non tinted window.

I have always use MATICO brand tint series Onyx 20%, match has been about perfect with the rear doors.

I have never seen a US spec LC without tint on the back window. That seems very odd to me. I suppose it could have been some isolated state that had a law prohibiting tinting the back window or something or it was broken in the past and was replaced with a non tinted window.

2008 was tintless. 2009 added tint to rear door/cargo area sides, but not hatch window. 2010 onward have hatch window tinted as well.

BBFAB02A-8EEF-4BFD-A8D7-0724EA60BAFF.png

I'm not sure if your 2009 has a "greenish" tint or it is black like my 2013.

Regardless, you should probably go to a big well reviewed "Tint Shop" and make sure your hue/tint being added is the same as what is already on your cruiser.

The "big shop" probably does a lot of the Lexus, Mercedes, BMW etc. work in your area already.

They can steer you to a color that will match the existing "Toyota Tint Color".

I had a black tint in mind when I did my cruiser, but the experts quickly pointed out " my choice" was a different type of black and would not match.

I followed their advice and mine looks factory matched and good.

I did go slightly lighter with the front sides.... Maybe 27% - 35% somewhere in that range.

BE SURE TO ASK THEM----

Cover your door's electrical switches while they are installing the tint.

They use a soapy water solution to lube the tinted sheets to position them in place.

The soapy water stuff goes everywhere.

Good Luck.

Reviving a thread. For those of you who have added tint, particularly ceramic, did you encounter any issues with the truck finding GPS location? I have a '21 200 series and recently had ceramic tint added for heat reduction. Thanks in advance!

5% ceramic here and no issues. I'll never not do this on any vehicle I own going forward. Maybe except my future 40 series that my wife doesn't know I'm trying to buy.

Reviving a thread. For those of you who have added tint, particularly ceramic, did you encounter any issues with the truck finding GPS location? I have a '21 200 series and recently had ceramic tint added for heat reduction. Thanks in advance!
GPS antenna is in the shark fin on the roof so you should be good to go.

Ceramic all day err day. My Black 200 stays a reasonable temp in black top parking lots in South Carolina summers. It’s amazing. Wife’s suv has traditional/non-ceramic darker all the way around and it is hotter and harder to see out of at night.

Tried a 55 on the front windshield per the shop owner’s recommendation. Was too dark looking (secret service style) and so I had it removed. Only FYI.

Last edited:
Ceramic all day err day. My Black 200 stays a reasonable temp in black top parking lots in South Carolina summers. It’s amazing. Wife’s suv has traditional/non-ceramic darker all the way around and it is hotter and harder to see out of at night.

Tried a 55 on the front windshield per the shop owner’s recommendation. Was too dark looking (secret service style) and so I had it removed. Only FYI.

I was considering going with the windshield tint route eventually, good to know that the 55 was too dark. I am hoping they make something like 80% in a ceramic tint variant to cut down on the scorching interior temps in a black cruiser.

I was considering going with the windshield tint route eventually, good to know that the 55 was too dark. I am hoping they make something like 80% in a ceramic tint variant to cut down on the scorching interior temps in a black cruiser.
You might love it. To each their own. I found it not my style - with all the others freshly tinted it was limo blacked out look. They make a nearly-clear one that does well I hear. A good shop will stand behind the work with a satisfaction guarantee. Best of luck.

i
You might love it. To each their own. I found it not my style - with all the others freshly tinted it was limo blacked out look. They make a nearly-clear one that does well I hear. A good shop will stand behind the work with a satisfaction guarantee. Best of luck.
i went with the lightest tint on the windshield. it’s a game changer. if you think about it, we tint all the windows except the windshield which lets so much heat in. i think the key is going with the lightest tint unless you like the blacked out look.

XPEL Ceramic (highest tier - I cannot recall specific name), but no issues with cellular reception, etc either. If I knew a shop I could reliably pass inspection with dark front window/pax tint, I would have gone darker there to match the rest. Get it done, you will love it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom