Need window tint advice

Discussion in '200-Series Cruisers' started by NoogaCruiser, Mar 13, 2018.

1. NoogaCruiser

NoogaCruiser

I'm just getting started with my recently purchased 200 and want to finish the job that Toyota started by tinting the front windows as well as the rear gate window. First off, why did they choose not to tint the glass in the rear lift get? So bizarre, but I'm sure they have a reason.

Everything I've read says 20% is a good match to the existing factory tint, and to avoid highly metallic tints. Safe to say the same applies to the rear? Any other advice or pointers? thanks.

BTW I have a white 2009 w/ upgrade pkg.

JeffH likes this.
  2. toyotaspeed90

toyotaspeed90

I'm not a 200 guy, but I understand tint pretty well.

The percent of tint is completely dependent on several factors.... 20% tint on a Landcruiser with big windows and light color interior is different than 20% on a Lexus IS300 with black interior.

I would suggest finding a local tint shop - that offers a lifetime warranty (there is a huge variance in tint qualities - we use Johnson tint, it has a lifetime warranty and doesn't fade to purple) - and talk to them. Have them suggest based on your vehicle (interior color, light that comes in, tint on other windows), the local rules, what you can/can't get away with (for instance 35% in the front is legal here, anything darker is illegal - but in the 80 series I had, the light colored interior and the big front windshield 20% was a little darker than 35% on a car with a small windshield/dark interior so it was a safe bet).

NoogaCruiser likes this.
  3. Markuson

Markuson SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm not normally a dark window guy...but I am extremely happy having decided to go "limousine" dark from the second row back, including the rear...with a bit lighter on the front row windows. There are three reasons I love it:

Security: You absolutely cannot see what I have stored in my LC in the second row and cargo.
    Heat/Protection: It's amazing how much cooler the interior stays, even when parked on hot days...and it also protects the interior.
    Privacy: I can see out just fine, but people cannot see me at all from the rear, or rear/sides. I have discovered that I really like this.

SQRRRL and NoogaCruiser like this.
  4. marketShark

marketShark Spider 2 Y Banana

Media:
    Albums:
    @NoogaCruiser I am a big fan of ceramic tint, if its available to you. It's usually more expensive, but has the added benefit of reducing the heat you feel from the sun. Has been a consistent upgrade to all my vehicles in the TX summer sun. I always drive with my arm on the door window ledge and can feel the difference.

5. dnh1

dnh1

Media:
    Albums:
    First, I have been tinting (both myself and taking them places) vehicles for 28 years and have done many legal and illegal tint jobs. Second, I have owned 5 total 200 series. Therefore, I am pretty knowledgeable on this.

They did not tint the back window on the early (2008, 2009) models. Toyota has always erred on the safety / afraid of some legal ramifications side, and that is why I presume they did not do it. They do now.

Dealers add tint to the front windows as well now. Both my 2016 LC and my wife's 2017 LX came with dealer installed front window tint.

For your back window, you will want 5%. Because of the sunlight coming in the front, its going to look lighter than the rest if done at 20%. I did this on my 2008 LC and it looked great. I never did tint the front windows.

I also previously had a 2009 LX. I tinted everything 5% tint including the front windows and a strip. It was pretty sick. I doubt you want to do all that.

Take it to a local tint shop and get the best tint they offer in 5% and have them do it. If you are buying $30k rides, or certainly $65k, rides, no need to mess around with tinting it yourself, and no need to try and save $10 on cheaper tint for one window.

NoogaCruiser likes this.
  6. Stridertexas

Stridertexas SILVER Star

I’ve been a loyal fan of Formula 1 Pinnacle tint and 3M ceramic tint also.

It’s amazing at heat rejection.

Also covering the windshield is probably the most notable improvement I’ve ever noticed. In Texas, you can have it on your windshield, you just can’t sell a car with it. So dealers remove it.

But it’s a clear film and you’ll notice less heat immediately on the dash.

Living in Texas makes me an expert ; )

7. JS22STL

JS22STL

Media:
    I'm a fan of Lumar Ceramic tint. I did 30% on all windows. This made the fronts mimic what are on the back and the backs are now near limo. We have little kids, so I didnt want the sun beating in on road trips. I'd highly recommend a good quality ceramic. It will help keep the heat out.

8. cc1999

cc1999

I have always use MATICO brand tint series Onyx 20%, match has been about perfect with the rear doors.

I have never seen a US spec LC without tint on the back window. That seems very odd to me. I suppose it could have been some isolated state that had a law prohibiting tinting the back window or something or it was broken in the past and was replaced with a non tinted window.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.