Tint or no Tint? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

your buddy would hate my car

i am all about the double clear

i want people to know that i am rolling poverty spec
Haha, all good! I just always envisioned Land Cruiser and G-Wagon having blacked out windows. The LS460 has 15%. Supra has no tint. Miata has no tint. If I get the S class I'm eyeing, it will get a 5-10% treatment right away. Basically, the more "gangster" a vehicle, the darker my tint preference 🤣

Haha, all good! I just always envisioned Land Cruiser and G-Wagon having blacked out windows. The LS460 has 15%. Supra has no tint. Miata has no tint. If I get the S class I'm eyeing, it will get a 5-10% treatment right away. Basically, the more "gangster" a vehicle, the darker my tint preference 🤣
I have had 9 miatas (long time spec racer), only my msm had tint

i think all G has tint (in my head) and all LC has no tint

my slammed wald equipped LS has tint

For the front side windows, does the installer have to remove the door panels?
nope. installed in a couple hours. If you are weird like me, longer. I want the tint "shaved" on the glass not cut.

Outside truck view of 35% whole windshield and 5% sides. I went with ceramic being its a black truck. It cuts down on heat a TON

409030059_388541896933712_909472594968037820_n.jpg

With kids off-road and on long trips, tint is vital. Prolonged sun exposure makes them aggressive. If you live in big-sun country, it helps keep big-hot out. I agree with the opsec argument to obscure the bits inside. If you are going with tint, don't cheap out on materials or installation; that isch will drive you to distraction in perpetuity. See the various tint levels in-situ (on other trucks) before deciding. If, like me and a few others on here, your vision is taking its leave, choose a lighter tint or learn to live with a quick windows-down peek maneuver if you don't have mega-omni-cam array.

If you are a purist and the other stuff does not matter, remain au-naturale, of course.

I removed a 10+ year old failing tint job on my 08 this past fall. I love the visibility. My only complaint is how easily visible items are inside. My kids actually say they prefer the brighter view as well.
I actually had someone come over to ask about it a few weeks ago because they had never seen a 200 without tint.

Removing tint is a PITA, so i’d say if yours is in good shape i’d leave it. But if it’s failing, you’ve got nothing to lose. try it out!
EEDFB5C3-8939-43FA-8330-8FF1880109CE.jpeg

C5D7A21C-39F0-44CA-820D-CAAC9D25AA2A.jpeg

54F87AFD-4A7B-4764-9965-313C51C25C33.jpeg

With kids off-road and on long trips, tint is vital. Prolonged sun exposure makes them aggressive. If you live in big-sun country, it helps keep big-hot out.

If you are a purist and the other stuff does not matter, remain au-naturale, of course.
We do 2-3 2000+ mile trips a year with kids in various LC in the US.

My kids said "dad can we please have tint? All our friends have tint. Other people we all know have tint. It is hot in CA and where we travel. Please. We are willing to pay for it ourselves."

I said "remember when we vacation in Mali and Kenya, Egypt, NZ, etc, and other parts of the world. Remember all the cars we rent, in hot places and we do long trips, and remember they have no tint?"

If they can live with no tint, so can you, I tell my kids. When I was a kid, I drove uphill both ways in a Land Cruiser with no tint and no AC. At least you have dual cold AC and icebox - i told them. Toughen up kids. You think kids in SE Asia and Africa have dermatologists and sunglasses and ceramic tint? That takes the spirit out of them, and quiets them down.

Sometimes when they act up they even tell me, other people have TV in their cars! What?! We don't even have a TV at home, much less in our car.

Poverty + poverty spec = live it, breathe it, I tell them.

You think kids in Africa have ice box? That taught them and shut them up.

I told them, if they ask me for tint one more time, I will make sure some family in Mali adopt them.

No more tint talk in my house, after I carry around the 3 below pics of the hottest place in the world with avg temp, that has no tint on any cars.

Screen Shot 2023-12-19 at 7.58.42 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-12-19 at 8.00.08 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-12-19 at 8.00.55 AM.png

I removed a 10+ year old failing tint job on my 08 this past fall. I love the visibility. My only complaint is how easily visible items are inside. My kids actually say they prefer the brighter view as well.
I actually had someone come over to ask about it a few weeks ago because they had never seen a 200 without tint.

View attachment 3511354

View attachment 3511356

View attachment 3511357
Welcome to the crew!

Looks amazing.

Same here. Instead of people telling me I am dumbo for buying a Highlander, they compliment me for the no tint. At the local LC shop (RPM garage), the owner mentioned he wants to buy my truck as he never saw one with no tint. On the Insta page he posted my car, you should see all the people going ga ga over no tint.

Pretty hilarious.. how the rich want what us poor don't have...

Also I live it.. I have a special 4 door poverty spec Tacoma (that tacomaworld people always want), not only no tint, its one of the only 4 doors in USA with no tach, no sliding rear window.... and many other "poverty spec." Its truly a UN/Taliban spec USDM truck.

When I was poor as a kid, and had to drive in Honda Civics with no tach, no AC, no right side mirrors, and Accords with single exhaust pipe, vinyl bumpers and black door handles... I would look out my tintless window and dream of the day of owning a Si, that had a rear wiper, or an Accord EX that had dual tip mufflers and matching bumpers and a right side mirror..

Now that I see instagram kids flossing their GT3 RS with cloth door handles, and AC deletes, and diff color door handles... i know I have arrived....

Life is about the base model and poverty spec.... embrace it and live it.

Let the people see you.... let the light in to your lives... transparency is good for the soul...

i love parking next to this guy at school —— he laughs at me all the time for no tint and being a loser in a LC….and i am so poor and have no tint

IMG_2435.jpeg

Last edited:
Welcome to the crew!

Looks amazing.

Same here. Instead of people telling me I am dumbo for buying a Highlander, they compliment me for the no tint. At the local LC shop (RPM garage), the owner mentioned he wants to buy my truck as he never saw one with no tint. On the Insta page he posted my car, you should see all the people going ga ga over no tint.

Also I live it.. I have a special 4 door poverty spec Tacoma (that tacomaworld people always want), not only no tint, its one of the only 4 doors in USA with no tach, no sliding rear window.... and many other "poverty spec." Its truly a UN/Taliban spec USDM truck.

When I was poor as a kid, and had to drive in Honda Civics with no tach, no AC, no right side mirrors, and Accords with single exhaust pipe, vinyl bumpers and black door handles... I would look out my tintless window and dream of the day of owning a Si, that had a rear wiper, or an Accord EX that had dual tip mufflers and matching bumpers and a right side mirror..

Now that I see instagram kids flossing their GT3 RS with cloth door handles, and AC deletes, and diff color door handles... i know I have arrived....

Let the people see you.... let the light in to your lives... transparency is good for the soul...
Be sure to include how us soft Americans have access to such fancy things like clean water, ahem "reliable" electricity, and a reliable supply chain. That'll learn 'em! If they are slow learners like I was, you could always harness them up to the front tow points and make them pull the tintless LC to see how they enjoy the modern, reliable engine!

EDIT: I forgot the warning labels we put everywhere!!! Caution: beverage hot; divided traffic ahead; bridge out; whatever else.

Be sure to include how us soft Americans have access to such fancy things like clean water, ahem "reliable" electricity, and a reliable supply chain. That'll learn 'em! If they are slow learners like I was, you could always harness them up to the front tow points and make them pull the tintless LC to see how they enjoy the modern, reliable engine!

EDIT: I forgot the warning labels we put everywhere!!! Caution: beverage hot; divided traffic ahead; bridge out; whatever else.
my wife is from flint

clean water has no place in our home!!!!

you are so right - reason we have no winch is exactly as you said. I showed them the video of an indian man pulling a 747 tied to his hair!!!

if he can pull a plane surely my american diet fed kids can pull a LC

i was in tokyo and the same vending machine had cold drinks and scalding hot drinks - without warning my kids and we lived through that experience!

also with the money i saved with no tint - i am able to see the warning labels mentioned while i wait for my $6 coffee (using my Lc as intended in america)

IMG_2464.jpeg

Last edited:
We do 2-3 2000+ mile trips a year with kids in various LC in the US.

My kids said "dad can we please have tint? All our friends have tint. Other people we all know have tint. It is hot in CA and where we travel. Please. We are willing to pay for it ourselves."

I said "remember when we vacation in Mali and Kenya, Egypt, NZ, etc, and other parts of the world. Remember all the cars we rent, in hot places and we do long trips, and remember they have no tint?"

If they can live with no tint, so can you, I tell my kids. When I was a kid, I drove uphill both ways in a Land Cruiser with no tint and no AC. At least you have dual cold AC and icebox - i told them. Toughen up kids. You think kids in SE Asia and Africa have dermatologists and sunglasses and ceramic tint? That takes the spirit out of them, and quiets them down.

Sometimes when they act up they even tell me, other people have TV in their cars! What?! We don't even have a TV at home, much less in our car.

Poverty + poverty spec = live it, breathe it, I tell them.

You think kids in Africa have ice box? That taught them and shut them up.

I told them, if they ask me for tint one more time, I will make sure some family in Mali adopt them.

No more tint talk in my house, after I carry around the 3 below pics of the hottest place in the world with avg temp, that has no tint on any cars.

View attachment 3511371

View attachment 3511372

View attachment 3511373
Brother, you had me on the floor.... your kids actually ask for tint as if they would the latest Xbox or $500 sneakers ?!? I know what you meant by how you had to go to school as a kid without tint... rough.. I had to drive 50 miles across mountains after school to get water for cooking dinner without KDSS..

Welcome to the crew!

Looks amazing.

i love parking next to this guy at school —— he laughs at me all the time for no tint and being a loser in a LC….and i am so poor and have no tint

View attachment 3511379
Looks great from the back with no tint. That LC100 down the row has none or light tint. Fantastic.

my wife is from flint

clean water has no place in our home!!!!

you are so right - reason we have no winch is exactly as you said. I showed them the video of an indian man pulling a 747 tied to his hair!!!

if he can pull a plane surely my american diet fed kids can pull a LC

i was in tokyo and the same vending machine had cold drinks and scalding hot drinks - without warning my kids and we lived through that experience!

also with the money i saved with no tint - i am able to see the warning labels mentioned while i wait for my $6 coffee (using my Lc as intended in america)

View attachment 3511402
when a single set of warning labels isn't enough, flip over for more warning labels!!!

Isn’t the tint on the back windows part of the window itself from the factory? I didn’t think it could be removed

Brother, you had me on the floor.... your kids actually ask for tint as if they would the latest Xbox or $500 sneakers ?!? I know what you meant by how you had to go to school as a kid without tint... rough.. I had to drive 50 miles across mountains after school to get water for cooking dinner without KDSS..
:grinpimp: :hillbilly:

When we meeting up again? I need to see your rear body color center part in person.

My kids know better than to ask for sneakers or x box. Xbox is no good without a tv... and sneakers..... walmart $4 sandals brother.. when they tell me they can't run at school with them..i show them all the African marathon runners that come to USA to hand them their butts.. practicing around the world with no shoes... TOUGHEN up I tell them! Then they ask for chicken nuggets.. no winning with these children...

How did you grow up to such a nice person, without KDSS? Oh the humanity of a tough childhood..I feel for you man.. I had no rear ac vents...

Cool box? Can't even go there..

Isn’t the tint on the back windows part of the window itself from the factory? I didn’t think it could be removed
For US Spec 200 series in the Land Cruiser variety, there were some 2008s that did not get tint as a default (mine being one). I have not seen one post 2008 though they may exist. Several other of the "standard options" are missing from mine as well. My 08 has no Coolbox, as well as no wood trimmed steering wheel.

I assume @rtong1234 has an 08 with aftermarket tint installed, or "removing" the tint could be a difficult proposition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom