Tint or no Tint? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Def tint. All around. Dark.
A potential thief probably won’t smash the glass if they can’t see the prize inside. That, and I like privacy in traffic.

trucker sun damager.jpg

This is another reason to tint your windows. This is the face of a truck driver...the window side aging/damage is crazy. I think this ended up in the New England Journal of Medicine.

Nice. Do you have a photo of the 200 that shows all the windows?
Sure Ill take one today but it basically looks just like a stock 200; back doors, cargo and hatch having the factory tint

I feel like since ceramic tints have been coming out they have come a long way in blocking heat and not having to use a dark shade to get that result.
A lot of these basically clear ceramic tints block more radiant heat than the 5% metalized or dyed films. If you don't want the look of a tinted window then definitely go find a place that will install a 70% or 80% ceramic tint. Just having the UV blocking is worth it.
Yup, that's exactly what the tint guy told me, the heat blocking does not come from the level of darkness :meh:

Yep, I’ve got legal limit on mine, so 30%. The ceramic tint blocks the UV and heat, the amount of darkness doesn’t matter

Southern Cali most of the LEO's tint not just the windows but also the windshield.

The down side is night vision when in low lit areas (rural).

I wouldn’t want to go darker (30%) than I have now. Too hard to see through it at night

I just realized I posted pics of my 80. I did the same thing on my 200 before I did the 80....

Different shop though, I think they used Autobahn brand

Very cool. IMO, this the only way to go. Fishbowl rocks and the blue tint reminds me of the early 2000's Mercedes - which I really liked.

I have 5% all around with 30% on the windshield I do this to all my vehicle’s. I have a NY tint exemption though I get pretty aggressive migraines.

View attachment 3509428
I have 15 all around, 30 on the windshield. Llumar FormulaOne Stratos tint. Awesome. Newer tints don't only do UV and visible, they do IR rejection better also.
*edit* had product wrong

Yep, I’ve got legal limit on mine, so 30%. The ceramic tint blocks the UV and heat, the amount of darkness doesn’t matter
It does still make a difference, the visible light spectrum is still light energy, you just are blocking the UV and partially blocking IR spectrums which still does a lot.

Heat mitigation with dogs inside is the main reason for ceramic tint all around in my case. If I crack the shady side window the inside stays below 90 degrees in almost all conditions for at least 45 minutes and mostly stays in low 80s. We can sit down and have lunch while the dogs are sleeping in their crates with the car locked up. Sometimes my wife runs a fan (also have an inverter), but it doesn't change the temp at all - just makes her feel better. The windshield is the minimum percentage and you can't tell it's tinted aside from where the shop put a service reminder sticker that buggered up the top corner. Tinting the sides and back made a huge difference in interior heat - adding the front was double that. Tinting is an added expense and it damages easier than the glass - the two main cons in my opinion. I plan on re-doing the windscreen before too long just to clean it up a bit after 3+ years.

I just realized I posted pics of my 80. I did the same thing on my 200 before I did the 80....

Different shop though, I think they used Autobahn brand

View attachment 3508300
View attachment 3508301
That tint looks very nice. Do you know if that's ceramic tint? I've heard that clear ceramic tint will accomplish what you are talking about with reduction of radiant heat and UV rays, but I haven't tried it on a car of mine yet. If you could estimate how much of a reduction of radiant heat from direct sunlight you get with this light blue tint, what would you say? 50%? More?

That tint looks very nice. Do you know if that's ceramic tint? I've heard that clear ceramic tint will accomplish what you are talking about with reduction of radiant heat and UV rays, but I haven't tried it on a car of mine yet. If you could estimate how much of a reduction of radiant heat from direct sunlight you get with this light blue tint, what would you say? 50%? More?
Yes its ceramic. Id say at least 50%, probably more like 70%+

Last edited:
I have 5% all around with 30% on the windshield I do this to all my vehicle’s. I have a NY tint exemption though I get pretty aggressive migraines.

View attachment 3509428

That's what I have mine at too, ceramic 5%. Still think it's pretty light at times.

Have a buddy with "double limo" on his, now that's pitch black.

20230105_172003.jpg

Last edited:
This is 5% on the side windows and 35% down the whole windshield. I wouldnt do it if I lived in the mountains, as when it rains, it is dark. I am running stock headlights and fogs, would like to switch to amber fogs to be able to report back if it helps.

349062952_230752863022255_3089760241799149655_n.jpg

For the front side windows, does the installer have to remove the door panels?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom