Make the 80 Great Again! (Prelude to a turbo) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LOVE evaporust! Use it on everything from rusty bolts to antique tools.

This is good stuff, thanks for letting us know. I've been using Muriatic acid for this process but it's strong s*** and I have to keep an eye on how long keep hardware in the solution. Sounds like this stuff won't eat away at the metal if you forget about it!

This is good stuff, thanks for letting us know. I've been using Muriatic acid for this process but it's strong s*** and I have to keep an eye on how long keep hardware in the solution. Sounds like this stuff won't eat away at the metal if you forget about it!

Plan on an overnight night soak. I have left stuff in it for several days. After the rust is gone, it doesn’t seem to do anything else.

The big issues with it are needing room temperature and having to soak. (I.e. spraying doesn’t work)

This video is was helpful, EXCEPT he installs the seal on his drum brake hub with lip facing in, on disc brakes it goes OUT. Ended up doing it twice on one side.

Guess I know what I'm doing this weekend, or next weekend or next weekend... I might have installed as you mentioned because I thought it dumb to do it the way video indicated...I gotta tear it apart anyway to put the dogleg pin for e-brake and install the rubber boot for the caliper pin...so, why not go one level deeper too.

Guess I know what I'm doing this weekend, or next weekend or next weekend... I might have installed as you mentioned because I thought it dumb to do it the way video indicated...I gotta tear it apart anyway to put the dogleg pin for e-brake and install the rubber boot for the caliper pin...so, why not go one level deeper too.

This is the other post that really helped:

How-to: rear axle rebuild

FWIW, don’t need a seal puller. Prying with Channel locks works great on smaller ones like on front and claw hammer or pry bar works on larger ones like rear.

One tip I saw for the front seal was to wedge a screwdriver between the seal and the “race”. I tried that completely unnecessary and it gouges the race.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom