Builds Mike's disaster of a landcruiser project, 1992 "big red" (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes, quite amazing that it even ran with that goop in the intake. Imagine how fresh it would run with the engine internals all cleaned up.
Might be a good idea to drop the oil pan and give a visual on the rod mains. If nothing too unusual is found down there then maybe a rebuild is the way to go.
ZUK Ken

Yup, nice looking E36. I have one myself:

DSC_0116.JPG

I don't know why BMW did such a poor job on the cooling systems in this era. Did you replace as preventative maintenance or did you have a failure of a component?

100% preventative. My car still had the original water pump and radiator which I had been keeping a close eye on, but with over 100k miles now I figured it was time. Did the electric fan conversion, aluminum radiator, Stewart water pump, did the motion motor sports under panel and radiator baffle while I was there, and cleaned up a bunch of small stuff I had been putting off. It's a 99 5 speed no sunroof sport package that I've had since around 2008.

Your sedan looks great with the alpina wheels by the way!

Former E39 M5 guy... After that $15,000 repair quote to get a light to turn off I went the opposite direction and got a cruiser with no ECU. Ignorance is bliss!

My friend has one of those and it's an amazing car but it is not cheap to maintain, even if you do your own work...

Welcome to the UCC (Ugly Cruiser Club). It's a labor of love that basically eats your wallet and spare time, but as you drive around you will find yourself thinking "I could drive over that" or the satisfaction of finding a reason to go out in deep snow and wave at neighbors as they shovel out.

When you get the head gasket done, make sure to do the PHH at the same time.

BMW guy here too ... E46 M3 Vert in Laguna Seca Blue. I will have this car forever like my trucks.

Welcome to the UCC (Ugly Cruiser Club). It's a labor of love that basically eats your wallet and spare time, but as you drive around you will find yourself thinking "I could drive over that" or the satisfaction of finding a reason to go out in deep snow and wave at neighbors as they shovel out.

BMW guy here too ... E46 M3 Vert in Laguna Seca Blue. I will have this car forever like my trucks.

No PHH on the 3FE...

100% preventative. My car still had the original water pump and radiator which I had been keeping a close eye on, but with over 100k miles now I figured it was time. Did the electric fan conversion, aluminum radiator, Stewart water pump, did the motion motor sports under panel and radiator baffle while I was there, and cleaned up a bunch of small stuff I had been putting off. It's a 99 5 speed no sunroof sport package that I've had since around 2008.

Nice! Sounds like you got everything covered :) I never use the sunroof, so I'd rather mine didn't have one. Your car looks great!

Your sedan looks great with the alpina wheels by the way!

It's not just the wheels :D

Former E39 M5 guy... After that $15,000 repair quote to get a light to turn off I went the opposite direction and got a cruiser with no ECU. Ignorance is bliss!

I assume the carbon build up in the secondary air system? Cheaper fix:

E39 M5 Shark Injector SAI Tuner/Performance Software

I think there is another one too that deletes the MAF setup. That's what I'd go with if it went.

Sorry...off topic for the forum...

A couple of things:

With the wheels off the ground, grab the wheel at 12 & 6. Does the wheel wiggle? It shouldn't.

I'm curious if you flushed out the cooling system and ran some fresh oil in it if it would be ok. It's totally crazy to try it but if you think the motor is grenaded why not run some of that head gasket sealant in a can stuff and see how long she will run?! I've never used the stuff and many will say it's snake oil but there are a handful of guys that have used it and gotten by.

Pure curiosity on my part.

If I could swap in a v8 for less than $2000 I would consider it. I've been doing a tiny bit of research but it sounds like the 3F-E replacement would be the cheapest and most reliable option. Can you swap in a Toyota v8 from a tundra or something?

I doubt you could swap in V8 for under $2K, but for you to swap in a used 3F-E and change whatever in needed to freshen it up you'll be well over $2K

Good Used engines from Land Cruiser junk yard start in the $2k area and then you have to get it home, and buy misc parts

A couple of things:

With the wheels off the ground, grab the wheel at 12 & 6. Does the wheel wiggle? It shouldn't.

I'm curious if you flushed out the cooling system and ran some fresh oil in it if it would be ok. It's totally crazy to try it but if you think the motor is grenaded why not run some of that head gasket sealant in a can stuff and see how long she will run?! I've never used the stuff and many will say it's snake oil but there are a handful of guys that have used it and gotten by.

Pure curiosity on my part.

There was play, whatever the caliper attaches to had a good amount of play but it wasn't the birfield part, I think whatever attaches to the outer spindle inside the ends of the axle is loose. I haven't looked in there so I have no idea what's there. I have a FSM now though so I was going to look into it.

As for the engine, I'm fairly certain it is beyond repair but I will do a compete tear down whenever I get a replacement and can put the old one on a stand.

I doubt you could swap in V8 for under $2K, but for you to swap in a used 3F-E and change whatever in needed to freshen it up you'll be well over $2K

Good Used engines from Land Cruiser junk yard start in the $2k area and then you have to get it home, and buy misc parts

I'm not sure on the $2k for an engine figure based on what I saw on car-part. At any rate I need a $350 radiator and all kinds of other crap so I'm sure it will add up quickly. I'm really hoping to find an engine with under 175k miles for $1000 or less but that may not be realistic?

Yep it's ugly but I couldn't be more excited to drive the thing to be honest. I don't much care what the paint looks like as long as the truck isn't rusty. The underside is pretty good because it's a PNW truck and things don't tend to rust up here. I can sleep at night if there's no rust.

Awesome looking m3, love that color.

@Technician1985 there are a few LS swaps online for <$2000 a 2014 something with 25k and a 2wd 6L80e in Amboy for $1500. Buy the package sell the trans for $1300, buy another. You're into the swap $1500. Buy an adapter and the stand Alone stuff, hopefully less than $4k and you have a viable drivetrain. $350 or less in driveline retubing and $10 in metal for making mounts. All fab work and time at that point.

Probably wheel bearings. I'm no expert though.

Two best days of my life were the day I took delivery of my 2003 E39 and the day I sold that stupid hunk of German "engineering". It was the second to last German auto I owned. Never again!

I'm not sure on the $2k for an engine figure based on what I saw on car-part. At any rate I need a $350 radiator and all kinds of other crap so I'm sure it will add up quickly. I'm really hoping to find an engine with under 175k miles for $1000 or less but that may not be realistic?

It is I purchased a previous rebuilt motor with less than 80k for around 800

It is I purchased a previous rebuilt motor with less than 80k for around 800

My point was...
Good deals like that are hard to find for a 25 year old engine, and to hope it has less miles than what you currently have.
From a labor stand point junk yard motors are big chance...

2002,2002Tii, 320is and e30 M3 I purchased new. Now into the 2 wheeled BMWs and cruisers

Actually, @LS1FJ40 makes a good point here. Drain all the engine fluids, pour in some of the "new" bar's leaks head gasket sealer version, do whatever it says to get it set, then try and run / drive until it pukes completely.

I watched my cousin on a construction site pour in a bottle of Bar's Leaks into a D8 Caterpillar radiator to seal it where a 3" tree branch stuck through it. They sawed off the log on both sides, poured in the bar's leaks, and ran it for 12 hours/day for 2 weeks while they ordered in a new radiator.

Made a believer out of me, but I would still only use it in an engine that was in dire need and I would qualify this one as that.

The only cost you'll be out is $40 for a bottle of the good stuff and a couple gallons of coolant, distilled water, engine oil, and a filter. So, figure $100 to see what it can do.

@jonheld says you can pour beer in the fuel tank and piss in the crank case and it will run for another 50K miles. Maybe this is the one to actually try it on......

Actually, @LS1FJ40 makes a good point here. Drain all the engine fluids, pour in some of the "new" bar's leaks head gasket sealer version, do whatever it says to get it set, then try and run / drive until it pukes completely.

I watched my cousin on a construction site pour in a bottle of Bar's Leaks into a D8 Caterpillar radiator to seal it where a 3" tree branch stuck through it. They sawed off the log on both sides, poured in the bar's leaks, and ran it for 12 hours/day for 2 weeks while they ordered in a new radiator.

Made a believer out of me, but I would still only use it in an engine that was in dire need and I would qualify this one as that.

The only cost you'll be out is $40 for a bottle of the good stuff and a couple gallons of coolant, distilled water, engine oil, and a filter. So, figure $100 to see what it can do.

@jonheld says you can pour beer in the fuel tank and piss in the crank case and it will run for another 50K miles. Maybe this is the one to actually try it on......

Was it @Qball and maybe @LandCruiserPhil that used the stuff?

I'd sure as sh!t try it and see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom