Builds Mike's disaster of a landcruiser project, 1992 "big red" (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FFS, haven't you rolled enough 60s yet?! :flipoff2:

At least the HJ will be a diesel/ 5 speed. The leeches over on the 60 forum would be circling, oh wait, I'm not rolling this one :flipoff2:

Nice, that's gonna be a great cruiser once you get the engine sorted out. Love the color/wheel combo.

Here's my E30. Swapped an S52 in this summer -
jAX0gYS.jpg

A cylinder head gasket kit from rock auto is $70. Why don't you try replacing the head gasket and flushing the motor with Walmart oil? You'd be out for the time in labor, but the engine might be fine. There was still oil in it...just mixed with coolant. After all, it's a cast iron 3FE.

Was there any knocking or other noises while it was running?

This 62 was a sweet ride while it lasted, 3F-E, H55, homemade McNamara gear, 4.56's, ARB in the rear, Longfields. Really sad when I crawled out of the truck whilst it was upside down. On the upside, now I have an 80 series. Ironically I have another 62 in the yard that my GF rolled, more 3F-E's than I can shake a stick at. Glad to donate this motor to Mike to get him on the road, and yes, if I'd stuck with 62's I would have built a 2F-E. The next 60 series in my future is an HJ60, no plans to make it a gasser :)

I have loved BMWs in the past, my first was probably still my favourite, a 1983 E30 320i, manual transmission that the previous owner had driven from the UK to Belgium at 20k miles and had a brand new (to the market) aftermarket turbo fitted to..

To our knowledge it was the first turbocharged e30 in the UK ever. I paid 6000GBP for it (decent money in 1986) when I bought it, and it went like a silky smooth bullet, Golf GTIs never knew what hit them.. :) God I loved that car, but after 4 years use and abuse (including an involuntary fishtail at 155mph on the M62 as it hit the rev limiter in 5th :p ) and dwindling funds for expensive toys, I moved on. this is the only surviving photo of it, taken in 1990 in South London

TurboBMW.JPG

this was when it still belonged to the PO
BMW-adrian.JPG

These days although I will always love BMWs, if I'm not in the cruiser, it's all about Audi. 2.8 manual box, the thing does 90mph in 3rd gear easily and is as fast as I ever want to go any more, plus some.. I will also be keeping this, and perhaps one day adding a 4.2 v8 Quattro to the stable :)

Audi.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your e30 kevsta, that thing was bad ass especially for its day!

cheers. it was quicker than the 325i when it was released, I raced a mate in his one down a motorway slip-road once. just wish I had pics of the engine & install. but it was back when cameras were film rolls and pics came back in envelopes etc.. it was super-early tech and I remember we couldnt turn the boost any higher for fear of detonation. I drove a later model 328i at one point which felt similar in sheer cheek wrenching force lol. and more recently my friend had a 330d manual, also a great car.

anyway sorry for the thread derail, back to cruisers. mine (1hdt) just failed its test on emissions and needs 4 new tyres apparently lol. wallets at the ready..

Last edited:
Great looking e30...I still love the styling. You should test drive an F80 M3. It’s makes the F30 328 feel like its full of sand bags and towing a house. New M3s run 3.8 seconds to 60 it’s the German version of a muscle car. Just wish they kept the handling of the greatest M to date the e46.

Last edited:
A while back a family member gave me a car port. After a wind storm we had, I decided not to put it up because the car port was ghetto and cheap, and I figured it would risk damaging my car. I forgot about it until the other day, and I decided to see if I could put it up around the land cruiser and make a sheltered work area for the engine swap. After pinning all of the joints, building it shorter than the original 10x20' design, and adding a few tension wire reinforcements, I'll say that it's much better than having nothing. The "tent city":

Today I successfully unloaded the engine from the trailer, and set it on the concrete slab near the truck itself!
https://flic.kr/p/21U7fXQ

Now I'm in the process of ordering and researching parts. The radiator situation is pissing me off though, I'm not happy with the options for the 3F-E.

Little actual progress besides gathering info and deciding on things to do / buy. I'm just waiting for warmer weather and I will pull the old engine and start cleaning. It's looking like a few months out before I can drive it.

- Supposedly I can use a diesel landcruiser radiator for the 3f-e and you can still buy an OEM Toyota manual radiator, which will require an external trans cooler. Probably going this route BUT now I'm trying to confirm if an AT diesel aftermarket aluminum radiator (readily available and cheap) is a direct fit for the 3f-e, I think it could be if what I was told is true.

- Going to do the spare tire tuck mod instead of trying to buy or build a swing out - for now

- Cruiser Outfitters knuckle rebuild kit + swap birfs before driving, hope birfs don't need replaced

- Full brake job, gathering parts

- Ordered many parts for the engine swap / tune up / cooling overhaul

- Still need to make smog delete plate

- Exploring tail light options

- I'm probably going to de-flare it and monstaliner it a red color that's close to the stock color (bloodbath?) so I don't have to paint the jambs and engine bay.

- Getting an aussie locker for sure

- Probably getting a trailgear front bumper

- Need an AC condenser, gaskets, drier, and refrigerant

- Bought a 1992 FSM!

Last edited:
I "HAD" an e46 330ci, until some douche pulled out in front of me and then ran after I punted him :-(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom