What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (16 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Crossing the Gobi desert today.....or maybe Nevada :)
20170904_140327.jpg

Hello. I am a noob but have been reading on this site for several years. I have a white 89 FJ62 with @ 147 K miles and over the last year replaced the water pump, radiator, hoses and fan clutch. She runs great!

This weekend, I installed new front bumper from @sean in San Diego. Looks great and a welcome addition to the truck.
Bumper.JPG
Next step is adding a winch!.

Tried to fish this weekend, but there were WAY too many people in the water upstream...so just grinned at the mighty Landcruiser in its natural habitat...

View attachment 1531237
Yep, pretty popular up there beyond the Gilman Tunnels, heard the road's open again. BTW, I know the exact spot where you're parked. There used to be a camp and shop facilities for the lumber railroad at that spot, where the Rio de las Vacas joins the Rio Cebolla.

http://www.foresthistory.org/ASPNET/Publications/region/3/santa_fe/cultres9/images/fig15.jpg

Yep, pretty popular up there beyond the Gilman Tunnels, heard the road's open again. BTW, I know the exact spot where you're parked. There used to be a camp and shop facilities for the lumber railroad at that spot, where the Rio de las Vacas joins the Rio Cebolla.

http://www.foresthistory.org/ASPNET/Publications/region/3/santa_fe/cultres9/images/fig15.jpg
10/4!
They had to move a bunch of rock at the tunnels. There were quite a few "locals" with fire arms up there this weekend too. After the guy with the muzzle loader fired over all our heads there at the confluence, we packed back into the Las Vacas muy rapido! I understand shooting in the Forrest, but not there on labor day weekend!

Hello. I am a noob but have been reading on this site for several years. I have a white 89 FJ62 with @ 147 K miles and over the last year replaced the water pump, radiator, hoses and fan clutch. She runs great!

This weekend, I installed new front bumper from @sean in San Diego. Looks great and a welcome addition to the truck. View attachment 1531323 Next step is adding a winch!.

That's a good looking bumper!

Tearing stuff apart to replace rear axle seals and bearings; OEM from @beno.

IMG_2566.JPG

Stacked tires under rear as a safety precaution. Jack stands are solid but for a little more peace of mind I placed the tires under the receiver hitch.

IMG_2568.JPG

Fresh drum brakes. Gear oil contamination is great for quieting down the noise but that's about all :lol:. Shoes and wheel cylinders from Rockauto.

IMG_2572.JPG

I've been living with a half-way parking brake and poor brake shoe self-adjustment for a few years. Discovered that the swing arm that supports the small parking brake cable was frozen and damaged. This is the replacement.

IMG_2576.JPG

Nice @Godwin... rear axle seals are something that is on my list for the near future. Have the same parking brake issue so wonder if I am combating the same thing.. All stuff for when everything is pulled apart.

After coming back from camping last weekend I developed a scraping sound coming from the drivers side caliper. At first I thought it might be a rock or dirty simply because it was intermittent but by Saturday it was progressively getting louder. Pulled the front wheels to find that inside caliper was JUST starting to rub to metal on the pads. Looked back through my records and the pads were changed in 2012 when I purchased the truck so guess it was about time.

Got what's left of the '89 FJ62 donor vehicle loaded up on a tow dolly for a trip to Texas early Monday morning - the body and frame to Spring Branch, with the frame continuing on later to Dallas. The axles will travel home with me and eventually to the '84 FJ60 parts vehicle, right now sitting on blocks and cribbing out in the Nevada sun. Once the axles are under it it'll go into the garage/workshop next to the '84 FJ60 I bought new. To make way for the second '84, the '71 FJ40 will give up its spot, and come back here to join the '76 FJ40 in New Mexico for some more upgrades. I bought the running '89 for $1,500 about 15 years ago, always intended to be the donor for my '86 FJ60 build. So the '89 will live on in at least three other 60-Series. Looking back, it's had a very good life.
I drove back home this morning with just the axles and springs. From Clovis, NM through Encino, NM on US 60, then US 285 north. Just after taking a left where US 60 meets US 54 outside of Vaughn a truck was pulling a trailer loaded with an FJ60, heading either NE on US 54 or E on US 60. The time was 9:30 a.m. The vehicle was white but with a red front clip (round headlights), so it could have even been an FJ62 with an FJ60 front clip. So @CenTXFJ60 and I weren't the only ones hauling FJ60s around eastern New Mexico and west Texas.

Was that anyone here on MUD?

Which lake did you go to @goose4433 that look likes Gold Lake.
Where in the Bay Area are you staying?

I think you are in the same spot where we camped. I stole this picture from @SIZZLE
img_1370-jpg.1503511

Last edited:
That's awesome @vipergrhd! Yep it was good lake. Looks like you had the very last campsite? We just spent the afternoon in the first of the 3 with beaches. Live in sf. Pm me and we should meet up!

Just got back from 5 nights of archery elk hunting on the Oregon coast:

UMjcdRP.jpg

xTKmb2v.jpg

D23kVJ7.jpg

3SubS1a.jpg

Z4rwB6T.jpg

Some highlights:

• Hiked around 10 miles and 750 vertical feet per day in 85 - 90 degree temps through some steep and thickly forested terrains. We saw elk nearly every day and had a chance at two different bulls but ended up not making it happen.
  • The Hayden 679 I installed last week stopped my transmission from overheating, although my engine seems to be running a little hotter than normal now. I suspect it's mounted a little too close to the radiator and will need to design a new bracket to give it some offset/
  • The OME medium-heavy suspension is plush on the old logging roads and the new Toyo Open Country M/Ts handle winding dirt roads with the grace of a gazelle.

good lookin rig; what size tire you runnin?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom