2/75 rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sure is interesting watching your motor build. Makes me dream about the GM 292 (I-6 truck motor with lots of torque designed in) I once thought about putting in my 40.

Don

Thanks @handcannon , I'm pretty surprised how peppy it turned out. Spins up quick, with no load on it.

Just to let y'all know. I was working on building a table to put the body on while the engine was gone and by the time I got the valve train lined out, the tub was on the table. Going to try and document the major groups one at a time. Even though some were being worked on at the same time.

Last edited:
It came to us with a rusted out header and a Holley carb., and a earlier intake (I think a 69-70) it ran a lot better then it should have in the shape it was in. Figured we stay with a header, I liked the ball socket type ends on the Man-A-Fre. The Man-A-Fre header would not work with the early intake, at the time I did not know it was a earlier intake. Here's a pic of the one we got that would work, its the one on top. Not sure but I think it came off a 75. The bottom one is the earlier one that was on the engine when we got it, and would not work with that header. Thanks to the thread by Mark, @65swb45 I figured out it had the wrong intake on it.
DSCN0371.JPG
After getting the intake spot surfaced it worked great.
DSCN0324.JPG

Stabbed the dist. from @65swb45 and started bolting stuff on.
DSCN0317.JPG
Oh yea, got to mention @Trollhole This is the 2nd carb I've used from him. Thanks Marshall.
DSCN0383.JPG
Pretty much done with the engine at this point.
DSCN0449.JPG

Last edited:
Got to let y'all know how I go about bending fuel line and getting it right the first time. Might help someone. Use a clothes hanger and bend it how you want it, then copy it with your fuel line.
DSCN0456[1][8900].JPG
Here's a pretty good pic of the panel I threw together on the cart.
DSCN0458[1][8899].JPG
Now that's out of the way we can get on with the repairing the tub.

Coat hanger..... nice trick!

I only thought they were used to tie up exhaust mufflers to keep them from dragging the ground.

Ok, I just got a message from Pioneer, the higher performance valve springs I referenced above are still available, I have asked them to give me new ordering info on them- - -stay tuned if interested.

@oldschool4wheeling I know that's right, there tuff. First welding I ever did was with a coat hanger. Battery box on my first truck had rotted away and the alt. ate the battery. The old man that lived across the bottom helped me build another tray and in the process taught me how braze with one.

@Downey , I'm interested. Thanks.

I thought I was thrifty..... but damn a boat trailer..... you got me beat!!:beer::beer:

Like the saying goes, po mo fo's got po ass ways. An old friend of mine left it here after he sold the boat, while I was deployed in 2003-2004 he died. Its been here ever since, I contacted his family they didn't want it. I think of him every time I look at it, probably cut it apart and use it for something else now. Waste not, want not man.

It was kind of hard to decide where to start as there was so much to be done, so I started on the main beam. Being I figured the back bone or foundation of the tub, then move outward from there.
DSCN0465.JPG
I started by measuring the main beam, because I had decided to make it stronger then factory and have a new one bent up out of 14ga. If you plan on doing it this way, make sure you measure how far down from the top of the main beam lip or flange to the floor pan. Or visa versa if turned right side up. When you weld it all up you want the floor pan at the same level all the way across, this will also affect how the gas tank cover fits. It is very important you get the location of where the body to frame mounts are, I measured from inside the quarter to the center of the bolt hole, from the mid bed floor to the top (if upside down) and the back edge of the beam to the center of the bolt hole. Because your going to have to build new ones.
DSCN0473.JPG
I took a cut off wheel and cut down the edge of the lip, had to get it out of the way so I could get to the spot welds. I didn't replace the center inside portion of it, if I had it to do again I would have (take good measurements on everything)
DSCN0477.JPG
Next to come out were the wings, that's what I've heard them called anyway. They also were bent or made.
DSCN0478.JPG
Nasty
DSCN0480.JPG

Last edited:
I could not believe some of the stuff that had been done to this thing.
DSCN0481.JPG

I made sure to mark along the edge of the floor on the inside to make sure it would line up right, when the new bed from Real Steel was put in.
DSCN0482.JPG
Cut out the bed, should have taken out the mid bed as well but it wasn't to awful thin.
DSCN0492.JPG
Took out the other wing along with some of the inside portion of the beam.

Last edited:
Had the local metal shop bend up everything we didn't get from Real Steal.View attachment 1493664
Roger, the guy who owns it went to the same school and played ball with 2 of my uncles. Super good guy.View attachment 1493671He did a great job even with my crappy notes.
DSCN0495.JPG

DSCN0494.JPG

DSCN0496.JPG

Last edited:
(Sorry for the pics being in the wrong order somethings up with the site or my lap top) It was time to start replacing some steel. Started by clamping the new piece to the forward inside portion of the beam, then drilling holes thru them then screwing them together.
DSCN0501.JPG
Once it was all fitted, pulled it apart, drilled a bunch of holes. cleaned it up and hosed it down with weld thru primer.
DSCN0505.JPG
Then after it dried screwed back together and tacked her up.
DSCN0507.JPG
Then on to the wings that go on either side.
DSCN0500.JPG

DSCN0502.JPG

Last edited:
Started by drilling out the spot welds that held the backing plate on. Then welded them to the new pieces, the seat brackets bolt to them so they needed to be real close.
DSCN0514.JPG

I lost some of those pics. but here they are being fitted.
DSCN0524.JPG

After getting them where I wanted them, painted it all up. Then drilled holes along the flanges of the outer part of the main beam and painted it.
DSCN0522.JPG

Once the outer section was fitted and clamped down it was welded in.
DSCN0525.JPG

This thing should be good and stout.
DSCN0526.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom