DC connectors - nice with lots of options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mouser and digikey carry a lot of those connectors etc.

I've used weatherpack connectors recently and they're good too.

The crimping tools are essential to getting a good/reliable crimp. Some vendors have inexpensive units and the high end fancy style, so make sure whatever connector you choose has tools that are in your price budget.

Lots of nice automotive style connectors are available - water/weatherproof for external/engine bay and styles suited for inside the vehicle.

No need to use crappy connectors these days.

cheers,
george.

The crimping tools are essential to getting a good/reliable crimp. Some vendors have inexpensive units and the high end fancy style, so make sure whatever connector you choose has tools that are in your price budget.

Lots of nice automotive style connectors are available - water/weatherproof for external/engine bay and styles suited for inside the vehicle.

cheers,
george.

Thanks George great tips

I really like buying from Mouser, generally they do not have a minimum quantity of parts that you need to buy.
Having the manufacturer's part number for the connector helps find what you need on their website.

Ben

I think I got my last set of weatherpack parts from Waytek Wire. I selected one type for all my wiring use. It gets expensive to try to have parts around for multiple lines.

I really like buying from Mouser, generally they do not have a minimum quantity of parts that you need to buy.
Having the manufacturer's part number for the connector helps find what you need on their website.

Ben

Been using Mouser for guitar & amp electronics for decades, scratch building and maintenance, I think they're probably the #1 source in that field.

But the OP's site looks good too, and a bit easier to navigate.

Last edited:
Andersons are fine for power but they aren't intended for mixed signals and power etc. The andersons aren't weather proof either.

Connectors like the weatherpacks/delphi etc are weather sealed (at both cable entry and where they mate male/female), they also have positive retention when clicked together.

I've used them to connect to custom modules like relay packs and control modules (e.g. home made glow timer, dual battery combiner signals etc).

An example:

alt_weather.jpg

cheers,
george.

I know anderson are not waterproof .. but I have my rear backup lights with those and are exposed to sun / rain ( we have lots of that down here ) with 0 failure so far ..

To be honest I'm kinda skeptical about water proof .. in my books it a drop or moisture can go in and not out ( take more time to dry ) means more problems ( in my humid environment from 80% to 98% relative ) than just clean exposed connector ( like anderson ) that can get we and dry faster ..

Yes, but anderson are power connectors. Like I wrote, we're talking about connectors that are used for signals and power here and power in this case means typically < 10A.

The weatherpack connectors and the ones Phil linked are already used in automotive applications. These style connectors are designed and well proven to keep moisture, mud, salt etc out of the electrical contact areas. You need to get a pair in your hands and see how they mate with each other and also the seals that are on the wire ends - they are good stuff.

cheers,
george.

^ Yep, that will be a good starter kit and then you can just purchase individual more often used connectors as you run out.

cheers,
george.

cheers,
george.

What's your preferred connector for signaling and small power needs inside a vehicle where weatherproofing is not an issue?

^ for non-waterproof connectors I've recently used the metripack 150 series connectors.

An example of one -> 829-15396849 Delphi Connection Systems Automotive Connectors | Mouser

Bit tricky to figure out all the bits you need since you have to order the body, pins, various clips separately. The nice thing with the clips is that they ensure the cables/pins can't be pulled out, i.e. the tab on the pin is not solely being relied on to keep the pin retained.

Here's a 3 pin going together (with harness tape) and a 6 pin and 2 pin in the background:

mp150.jpg

And a decent source of QUALITY thinner automotive wire ->

20 TXL HIGH TEMP AUTOMOTIVE WIRE 25 FEET YOUR CHOICE OF 11 DIFFERENT COLORS | eBay

cheers,
george.

Bit tricky to figure out all the bits you need since you have to order the body, pins, various clips separately.
Find the PDF files for the connector series to help with parts selection.
20 TXL HIGH TEMP AUTOMOTIVE WIRE 25 FEET YOUR CHOICE OF 11 DIFFERENT COLORS | eBay
I don't try to stock colors. I just get white wire by 100 or 250 ft spools, then mark it up with permanent markers.

^ yeah, mouser has a selector guide as well. It still takes some work to understand the entire connector breakdown (shell, mating shell, male/female pin for AWG range, plastic retention clips and assurance clips etc). The 150 series has quite a few bits to make a full connector pair versus the simpler weather proof version. I've got a variety of both so ordering more is easy now :)

I much prefer to use coloured wires, not a big investment for something that you can use for years and years and various projects. I've learned over the years to invest money to make life easier later. I also document all the colours of the wires I add, where they've been added and what they do, including the fusing. Basically replicate the info that would be present if it was in the EWD. As one ages and the brain becomes 'fuzzy' from to many #6 breaks, documentation rules!

Anyhow, whatever system works for you is fine. I'd prefer to slip short coloured heatshrink pieces (1/4" say) to colour 'label' white wires than relying long term on a permanent marker, especially after the engine bay has had a few coats of mud/heat/mud... But I'll stick with coloured wires, for large wire (smaller awg) I buy spools of coloured wires from Waytek etc. For thinner wires that I use for shorter runs like adding various gadgets inside the vehicle I'll happily buy the coloured 10 pack 25' lengths. The main point is to purchase quality automotive wire for additions to your vehicle.

cheers,
george.

I would love to do all my (small wire) connections this way. Maybe next year.

I've actually done the heat shrink tubing marking for wiring harness repairs. I'll make it match factory. A red wire with black stripe will get the ends marked with red heat shrink, with a black band for the stripe.

I have a multi color and size heat shrink tubing kit I got from DigiKey ages ago. Over the years I've ordered replacements for the sizes and colors I've used a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom