24-12 volt DC/DC converter (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Tried a search, not really finding any answers.
My new project camper has a 24volt 1HZ even as I type that I am questioning if that’s correct 😊

97 HZJ 75 , with a camper cab section is 24volt camper is 12volt.
Trying to decide which DC/DC converter to buy looks like Redarc or Victron are the go to.

Any links for advice? or just any experience with either is appreciated

JY

I went the other way: 12v->24V. All I can suggest is that the Victron unit (running in power supply mode) I have has been solid. I found that a cooling fan blowing air on the cooling fins keeps it from derating power if it heats up. You need to decide if you need a common or isolated ground. My victron unit has an isolated ground as I am charging a portable power station (Yeti Goal zero 1500X) that has no ground of its own.

FWIW, installed a new Sterling BB1260 in the nose box of our little Escape 15A 4-years ago and it has worked perfectly. Looks like they offer 12v→24v, 24v→12v too...

Why Sterling? For all other LFP battery & solar I am all Victron but didn't want passive heat dissipation apart of their DC-2-DC charger and also didn't want 2 units to get to 60A output potential.

One thing that comes to mind is that I'd want to make sure I get a unit that has programmable max current output. Otherwise you're stuck with the max current (if the load lets it be) which can be quite high if you get a suitably powerful unit, which may require big wires, and could cause issues. My Victron does not do that, but I sort of think that the new versions do.
(I would also like to see a bigger range of output voltages, say from 12V to 48V, but I have not seen a unit like that out there.)
You may want to sit down and figure out what level of current you want on the high side, so you can size the unit properly. May not be fun to wait for a day to charge your camper's battery.

My current set up, is not exactly clean and easy to understand. 4 different size panels , two “house batteries” in different locations
solar controller is functioning great.
I don’t know enough to say the system is antique , Definitely believe that starting over is my best bet for solar.
Main question is about DC/DC 24-12 volt I think I answered it myself.
Going with Victron to be compatible with my intention of using Victtom solar controller seems logical

95A58692-A6BB-47A7-AE82-453BACC12DC2.jpeg

8F74FF0C-7B90-4485-9E9A-F32577DF6A22.jpeg

2661E989-5230-4DA1-8E0E-F3185146A022.jpeg

4B120002-1C96-4562-8E92-71DFA4B4824D.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom