Miles on a full tank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone, I've heard people post their average MPG 13-17 average.. But every time I see a picture of the interior cluster on an LC200 with a full tank it says cruising range 230ish..

Is the computer just very inaccurate? How far can you drive past the 0 miles?

Soooo What are your true miles on a full tank?

Mostly city
vs
mostly highway

Much appreciated for your input, I am still just a 4 runner owner :) Am trying to decide if it is worth it to buy a used 14' with 40k miles, or wait a few years and save to see what the full redesign is like.. Anyone know when the full redesign comes?

I've noticed that my Cruiser seems to a tank with 4 gallons of gas like its an EMPTY tank.

I suspect that they may do that intentionally so that people are less likely to push it to the edge and run out of fuel...

I've noticed the same.

This is actually a Land Cruiser trait. They use so much fuel, that that light needs to come on with 4 gallons and 50 miles of range left. My 84, 89, 97 all share this trait, so it doesn't surprise me that the 200 does this too. It's a good thing.

This is actually a Land Cruiser trait. They use so much fuel, that that light needs to come on with 4 gallons and 50 miles of range left. My 84, 89, 97 all share this trait, so it doesn't surprise me that the 200 does this too. It's a good thing.

Agree. My 100 did not have a range prediction, but it always hit E with about 4 gallons. Frankly I think most cars leave at least 2 or 3 gallons when it hits E... It's just that the range number seems so low in the Druiser because of crappy MPG. I TRULY wish ARB marketed an extended range fuel tank for US Cruisers. I would buy one TODAY. Just too few Cruisers with rear bumper/tire carriers to sell them here I guess. :(

My LC probably has the largest empty reserve of any car I've ever owned. I think my record so far is 70 miles or something on E (which wasn't intentional obviously) but I do wish for a larger tank. The range is more important to me than the fill up cost...

Interesting, so is the 240ish miles accurate until it hits 0 miles left cruising range? Then add on another 40ish miles to that number? That still doesn't add up as if most people say they average 13mpg-17 (Tank is 24.6, so average 13 mpg would be almost 320 miles, (so cruising range should say 280 at that mpg if deducting the 40ish miles) and averaging 17 mpg, would be close to 420 miles)- (which the cruising range should say 380ish if getting 17mpg, accounting for the extra 4 gallons not calculated..

Sooo What does your cruising range say on average when you fill it up? (is the 240 accurate from the pictures I have seen)

What are you actually getting Miles per full tank?

My 13' 4runner says about 350 cruising range when I fill it up when I average 17.7mpg (23 gallon tank) Never tested it manually..

Yes a long range fuel tank would be great, that long ranger for the info I have seen, seems the ones in the states have had problems with blinking VSC lights and etc. in dash because of the added tank.. I don't think many have done that tank in the states.. It would be nice to get 500 plus miles between each fill up!

You know this whole gas industry/MPG is a joke right? They are just a bunch of greedy money markets (people).. You don't have to buy a Prius to get good gas mileage. If they didn't all lie to you.. They have had the technology for over 50 plus years for a v8 to get 50 mpg or better. One time I believe it was Ford, accidently sold their prototype v8 car that got over 50 mpg to a lady, and they ended up buying it back for a million dollars. And it didn't cost any more to produce/manufacture.. Just some adjustments in the motor, carb system..

They could easily design a Land Cruiser for the same amount of money, that could get 50 miles per gallon. If not a lot more.. But they shut up all the engineers and pay them off or keep them silent. Because if all cars were getting such good gas mileage they would lose hundreds of billions of dollars every year. So why do all cars get such crappy gas mileage= GREED. I wouldn't be surprised with the technology and greatest engineers I bet they could easily get a Prius to get 300 miles per gallon.

Kind of just like lead paint on houses.. I have seen houses last 25 years with lead paint, minimal fade and no peeling... Oh and make lead paint illegal now, opened up a whole other business. Even the best paint now days you can really start noticing a fade (especially in hard hitting sun sides within 5 years.. What a joke.. They always lie. Sure lead is toxic if inhaled, but so is the pollutants in the air, or even saw dust if you inhale it, or any other chemical known to man. It's called wearing a mask... duh.. How about energy efficient appliances? It only takes 2 1/2 hours to run a load in the new dishwasher or washer, but they use so much less water (Who cares, have you seen your energy bill? Water is a lot cheaper then electricity) Not to mention that the average life of newer appliances is 5-7 years, vs 20-30-40 years plus of old appliances.. How is that energy efficient? Just fill up our land fills and everyone has to buy a lot more new appliances every decade. More computers, more electronics=less reliability, more money to fix..

I really do want a new LC, but I highly doubt they are as reliable long term as the old ones.. People are too greedy. They can make a lot of extra money on selling you parts and oh you need a new computer, or solenoid, or oxygen sensor, blah blah.. I am sure LC are still the most reliable vehicle in the world.. But do you really think they could not make it so durable that not one thing would break in the first 300k miles.. If they really wanted to... And for not a whole lot more money... They could. But they won't.. Just like it could get 50 mpg produced for the same amount of money, but it won't.. GREED-LIES
Thanks for listening to my rant. Things like this bug me. Because no one on here would be complaining about the gas mileage of a Toyota Land Cruiser if things were how they should be... Could be.. If people were just real.. and not so greedy/power tripping.

In the meantime, in this fallen world.. Maybe we should get all people on this forum to write to Toyota to get them to offer the long range fuel tan for the Land Cruiser in the states.... If they know Demand is there, they will supply.. Everything is Supply and Demand..

My LC probably has the largest empty reserve of any car I've ever owned. I think my record so far is 70 miles or something on E (which wasn't intentional obviously) but I do wish for a larger tank. The range is more important to me than the fill up cost...
You got 70 miles from E and also when it said cruising range 0?

You got 70 miles from E and also when it said cruising range 0?

Not hard to believe. That's just averaging 17.5 MPG if there are 4 gallons left when the meter sits on E...

Reactions: CT3
They could easily design a Land Cruiser for the same amount of money, that could get 50 miles per gallon. If not a lot more.. But they shut up all the engineers and pay them off or keep them silent. Because if all cars were getting such good gas mileage they would lose hundreds of billions of dollars every year. So why do all cars get such crappy gas mileage= GREED. I wouldn't be surprised with the technology and greatest engineers I bet they could easily get a Prius to get 300 miles per gallon.

...But do you really think they could not make it so durable that not one thing would break in the first 300k miles.. If they really wanted to... And for not a whole lot more money... They could. But they won't.. Just like it could get 50 mpg produced for the same amount of money, but it won't.. GREED-LIES
Thanks for listening to my rant. Things like this bug me. Because no one on here would be complaining about the gas mileage of a Toyota Land Cruiser if things were how they should be... Could be.. If people were just real.. and not so greedy/power tripping.

I find it difficult to believe they could "easily" build a 300MPG Prius and a 50 MPG LC.

-It weighs nearly three tons.

Also... the claim they could "Easily" make one that needs no repair for 300k miles.

It's not a conspiracy.
Dirt...rust...corrosion...friction... Water, gas and oil impurities...take a toll on car parts...or on a bicycle for that matter.

Rubber breaks down. O-rings fail. Metal fatigues. Heat and cold take their toll.

Do you have evidence for these no-repair for 300k claims?

Unless dirt, rust, corrosion, friction, Gravity, heat and cold are in on it...I think this conspiracy theory is goofy.

Dude, seriously. If any automaker could easily build an SUV the size of the Landcruiser that could get 50 mpg, and pass emissions testing, and pass crash testing, and be reasonably affordable, they would do so in a heartbeat. It would bring that manufacturer a huge increase in market share and they all fight for every bit of he market.

As it is, they spend billions just to make incremental improvements in fuel economy.

The idea that all automakers are involved in some vast conspiracy to sell cars that use a lot of fuel is lunacy.

Sent from my iPad

I find it difficult to believe they could "easily" build a 300MPG Prius and a 50 MPG LC.

-It weighs nearly three tons.

Also... the claim they could "Easily" make one that needs no repair for 300k miles.

It's not a conspiracy.
Dirt...rust...corrosion...friction... Water, gas and oil impurities...take a toll on car parts...or on a bicycle for that matter.

Rubber breaks down. O-rings fail. Metal fatigues. Heat and cold take their toll.

Do you have evidence for these no-repair for 300k claims?

Unless dirt, rust, corrosion, friction, Gravity, heat and cold are in on it...I think this conspiracy theory is goofy.

The ones who started these inventions all wound up ironically dead, In the 30's they got 50 mpg, 1946 Buick Roadmaster got over 100mpg in a 4500 pound car, Shell bought the patent from him. In the late 70's shell Oil Company broke the 1000 mpg record told by a scientist that worked for shell research . A lot of the early patents were removed. These inventors wound up mysteriously dead. Big money shut them up.
As far as a car that could easily go 300k miles (20 year span) is not very unrealistic. Yes true nothing lasts forever, but the industries have opted to go with cheaper materials, process, and ways of doing things that have severely shortened life spans on everything that is made with human hands.. Do you ever see old washers that are 40 years old still working great, never have needed fixing.. Yes. Do you see a new washer from 2000 and up still working..? Usually not.. People used to care about quality. Then they got greedy.. Sure there are many variables, weather, etc. But the biggest variable is human workmanship and using quality materials.. Could they formulate the rubber compound in tires to hold up 100k miles, I don't doubt it.. Have they created a lot more parts for cars to meet standards in emissions that can be good and bad. Absolutely, Do they really need 4 oxygen sensors on a car.. No... Is half of this argument wrapped up in big money greedy corporations wanting the max amount of money for the lowest investment.. Duh...

Yes it would cost more in materials to build a car that lasts 20 years with very very minimal problems.. But look what they are charging for the new LC. 85k.. How much do you think in actual materials.. How many middle men mark up costs in between.. It's the retail business. Buy a shirt at JC Penny for $30, they probably paid a couple dollars, then shipping costs, their buildings, inventory, etc. Walla they rip you off and charge $30.. My point is not for the technicality that absolutely nothing could go wrong on a true car that is made to last; without any hiccups. But point being that they can easily make stuff a crazy amount more durable than it is now.. 300k miles is not far fetched for a car, assuming a Toyota can usually get that on the motor fairly easy, with the only things needing done are fluids, tires, water pump, starter, battery, belts, and items of that sort.. Could they design and make these small parts with better quality and have a much better life span, Certainly.. It doesn't take a genius to realize even the downfall of quality just in the last 20 years.. All it takes is common sense.. And seeing the evidence in the last 20 years for almost anything man made deteriorated by greed and made without the quality it once was..

Interesting, so is the 240ish miles accurate until it hits 0 miles left cruising range? Then add on another 40ish miles to that number? That still doesn't add up as if most people say they average 13mpg-17 (Tank is 24.6, so average 13 mpg would be almost 320 miles, (so cruising range should say 280 at that mpg if deducting the 40ish miles) and averaging 17 mpg, would be close to 420 miles)- (which the cruising range should say 380ish if getting 17mpg, accounting for the extra 4 gallons not calculated..

Sooo What does your cruising range say on average when you fill it up? (is the 240 accurate from the pictures I have seen)

What are you actually getting Miles per full tank?

My 13' 4runner says about 350 cruising range when I fill it up when I average 17.7mpg (23 gallon tank) Never tested it manually..

Yes a long range fuel tank would be great, that long ranger for the info I have seen, seems the ones in the states have had problems with blinking VSC lights and etc. in dash because of the added tank.. I don't think many have done that tank in the states.. It would be nice to get 500 plus miles between each fill up!

You know this whole gas industry/MPG is a joke right? They are just a bunch of greedy money markets (people).. You don't have to buy a Prius to get good gas mileage. If they didn't all lie to you.. They have had the technology for over 50 plus years for a v8 to get 50 mpg or better. One time I believe it was Ford, accidently sold their prototype v8 car that got over 50 mpg to a lady, and they ended up buying it back for a million dollars. And it didn't cost any more to produce/manufacture.. Just some adjustments in the motor, carb system..

Kind of just like lead paint on houses.. I have seen houses last 25 years with lead paint, minimal fade and no peeling... Oh and make lead paint illegal now, opened up a whole other business. Even the best paint now days you can really start noticing a fade (especially in hard hitting sun sides within 5 years.. What a joke.. They always lie. Sure lead is toxic if inhaled, but so is the pollutants in the air, or even saw dust if you inhale it, or any other chemical known to man. It's called wearing a mask... duh.. How about energy efficient appliances? It only takes 2 1/2 hours to run a load in the new dishwasher or washer, but they use so much less water (Who cares, have you seen your energy bill? Water is a lot cheaper then electricity) Not to mention that the average life of newer appliances is 5-7 years, vs 20-30-40 years plus of old appliances.. How is that energy efficient? Just fill up our land fills and everyone has to buy a lot more new appliances every decade. More computers, more electronics=less reliability, more money to fix..

I really do want a new LC, but I highly doubt they are as reliable long term as the old ones.. People are too greedy. They can make a lot of extra money on selling you parts and oh you need a new computer, or solenoid, or oxygen sensor, blah blah.. I am sure LC are still the most reliable vehicle in the world.. But do you really think they could not make it so durable that not one thing would break in the first 300k miles.. If they really wanted to... And for not a whole lot more money... They could. But they won't.. Just like it could get 50 mpg produced for the same amount of money, but it won't.. GREED-LIES

Epic rant! :cool:

Tin foil hats on isle 6, if you want the ones with the attached ground, look on the end cap.

I've gone about 100 miles once range hits 0 and still the most I've ever put in the tank is 22G. Still had 3 G left.

The ones who started these inventions all wound up ironically dead, In the 30's they got 50 mpg, 1946 Buick Roadmaster got over 100mpg in a 4500 pound car, Shell bought the patent from him. In the late 70's shell Oil Company broke the 1000 mpg record told by a scientist that worked for shell research . A lot of the early patents were removed. These inventors wound up mysteriously dead. Big money shut them up.
As far as a car that could easily go 300k miles (20 year span) is not very unrealistic. Yes true nothing lasts forever, but the industries have opted to go with cheaper materials, process, and ways of doing things that have severely shortened life spans on everything that is made with human hands.. Do you ever see old washers that are 40 years old still working great, never have needed fixing.. Yes. Do you see a new washer from 2000 and up still working..? Usually not.. People used to care about quality. Then they got greedy.. Sure there are many variables, weather, etc. But the biggest variable is human workmanship and using quality materials.. Could they formulate the rubber compound in tires to hold up 100k miles, I don't doubt it.. Have they created a lot more parts for cars to meet standards in emissions that can be good and bad. Absolutely, Do they really need 4 oxygen sensors on a car.. No... Is half of this argument wrapped up in big money greedy corporations wanting the max amount of money for the lowest investment.. Duh...

Yes it would cost more in materials to build a car that lasts 20 years with very very minimal problems.. But look what they are charging for the new LC. 85k.. How much do you think in actual materials.. How many middle men mark up costs in between.. It's the retail business. Buy a shirt at JC Penny for $30, they probably paid a couple dollars, then shipping costs, their buildings, inventory, etc. Walla they rip you off and charge $30.. My point is not for the technicality that absolutely nothing could go wrong on a true car that is made to last; without any hiccups. But point being that they can easily make stuff a crazy amount more durable than it is now.. 300k miles is not far fetched for a car, assuming a Toyota can usually get that on the motor fairly easy, with the only things needing done are fluids, tires, water pump, starter, battery, belts, and items of that sort.. Could they design and make these small parts with better quality and have a much better life span, Certainly.. It doesn't take a genius to realize even the downfall of quality just in the last 20 years.. All it takes is common sense.. And seeing the evidence in the last 20 years for almost anything man made deteriorated by greed and made without the quality it once was..

"Scientists who used to work for thus and such" have also spotted Bigfoot...

You know...that creature that never poops...dies & leaves it's bones...or sheds it's long fur?

They used to poop, die, and shed...but some ex-Shell employee bought the Sasquatch poop, fur and bone patents. ;)

"Scientists who used to work for thus and such" have also spotted Bigfoot...

You know...that creature that never poops...dies & leaves it's bones...or sheds it's long fur?

They used to poop, die, and shed...but some ex-Shell employee bought the Sasquatch poop, fur and bone patents. ;)

Haha [emoji106]

Group buy maybe?

Dude, seriously. If any automaker could easily build an SUV the size of the Landcruiser that could get 50 mpg, and pass emissions testing, and pass crash testing, and be reasonably affordable, they would do so in a heartbeat. It would bring that manufacturer a huge increase in market share and they all fight for every bit of he market.

As it is, they spend billions just to make incremental improvements in fuel economy.

The idea that all automakers are involved in some vast conspiracy to sell cars that use a lot of fuel is lunacy.

Sent from my iPad

Well that would be nice to think, but is very far from the truth.. The oil companies and car companies have for long worked side by side. Now you are just being silly, look at the facts search for the truth yourself.. I am going to give you an example apart from cars.

Did you know that doctors used to tell people which cigarettes to smoke? (paid the doctors bonuses by cigarette companies)
Did you know that humans are guinee pigs for pharmaceutical companies.. Prescribed by your local doctor.. Doctors get big bonuses for pushing certain drugs. (FROM the Pharmaceutical companies) Did you know that apart from oil, pharmaceutical is one of the biggest industries. Why, because a lot of people don't have common sense and just because the doctor tells you, it must be okay right? You have allergies, you must take this crappy pharmaceutical drug that makes you feel like crap.. Or you can avoid man made chemicals and take some nettle tea supplements and have no side effects and you feel great and allergies are very very minimal (what I do ).. Did you know that Pharmaceutical is derived from the greek word Pharmakeus which means a form of sorcery, enchanter of pills, in old terms means mixing up potions.. I am giving you this as an example because obviously you are under-educated in your life smarts in the auto/oil industry.. Just because the oil company or auto company says something to you doesn't mean it's the truth.. Or just because the media says something, doesn't mean that is true.. If they didn't have the people believe that they were trying to get better mpg to help save the earth then they just wouldn't be doing their part... hence they use that as an excuse to sell your mom a prius so that she can feel like she is doing her part to save the earth. When in reality if it wasn't for greed and others agendas this world would be ina whole lot better conditions for our future generations.. Cruiser no I don't need to put on my tin foil hat and no I don't think everything is a conspiracy, but when I learn the truth about something I call it what it is.. Just like the sky is blue..

I'm sure all the under educated physicians were just schooled by this very informative thread...
I'm sure all the under educated ih8mud members, including physicians, were just schooled by this very informative thread...

Funny how you added Ih8mud members, after your first post :) (You said it not me :) Just so you know I am not trying to school anyone.. But hey there is nothing wrong with gaining more wisdom and knowledge and learning the truth right? It's a never ending thing for all of us... As far as education goes... I only graduated high school. I am more of a life smarts guy than a book smarts... Wisdom and knowledge are two totally different things... I find it fun to share the truth... Hey do you know where the F word came from? It's a funny thing how so many people use the F word but have no idea where it originated from... Care to know? For fun?? I'd be glad to share! Sure since you said yes... In old days long ago... people used to have to get permission from the king to have sex, or have a baby.. So they would go to the king for permission and if it was granted they would get a sign and have to put it on their door that said the F word.. But it Stands for Fornication Under Consent (of the) King.

Isn't this fun??

Well that would be nice to think, but is very far from the truth.. The oil companies and car companies have for long worked side by side. Now you are just being silly, look at the facts search for the truth yourself.. I am going to give you an example apart from cars.

Did you know that doctors used to tell people which cigarettes to smoke? (paid the doctors bonuses by cigarette companies)
Did you know that humans are guinee pigs for pharmaceutical companies.. Prescribed by your local doctor.. Doctors get big bonuses for pushing certain drugs. (FROM the Pharmaceutical companies) Did you know that apart from oil, pharmaceutical is one of the biggest industries. Why, because a lot of people don't have common sense and just because the doctor tells you, it must be okay right? You have allergies, you must take this crappy pharmaceutical drug that makes you feel like crap.. Or you can avoid man made chemicals and take some nettle tea supplements and have no side effects and you feel great and allergies are very very minimal (what I do ).. Did you know that Pharmaceutical is derived from the greek word Pharmakeus which means a form of sorcery, enchanter of pills, in old terms means mixing up potions.. I am giving you this as an example because obviously you are under-educated in your life smarts in the auto/oil industry.. Just because the oil company or auto company says something to you doesn't mean it's the truth.. Or just because the media says something, doesn't mean that is true.. If they didn't have the people believe that they were trying to get better mpg to help save the earth then they just wouldn't be doing their part... hence they use that as an excuse to sell your mom a prius so that she can feel like she is doing her part to save the earth. When in reality if it wasn't for greed and others agendas this world would be ina whole lot better conditions for our future generations.. Cruiser no I don't need to put on my tin foil hat and no I don't think everything is a conspiracy, but when I learn the truth about something I call it what it is.. Just like the sky is blue..

Let's save some time here.

I make a motion that we all agree that:

-Land Cruisers only need maintenance before 300k miles bc Toyota uses cheap materials...
-Shell prevented the world from making 4,500 lbs. cars that make 100MPG in the 1950's.
-Paul McCartney has been dead since 1966...
-Water is fluoridated as a form of mind control...
-The moon landing was staged...
-A demolition crew imploded the twin towers...
-Bigfoot is real...
-Area 51 has spaceships...
-Kenedy was shot by 300 people...
-Elvis is alive...
-By 1996, New York will be under three feet of water...
-The world will end in 2012...

Agreed?

That aside.... BACK TO FUEL TANK RANGE...

I've yet to hear of anyone installing an ARB secondary fuel tank without spending at least $2000 and a lot of installation headaches.

Anyone have better news?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom