Miles on a full tank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

20 mpg??

That's one long downhill stretch of road.

Chicago to SC is all downhill, isn't it?

Seems it would have to be !

IMG_0879.JPG

I can't speak for all Land Cruisers but, I've owned an 80, 100 and now a 200 and on at least the 100 and the 200 invariably when the auto shutoff on the gas pump stops it, by adding about 0.2 gal at a time you can get in another 2.5 - 4 gallons (the 100 was on the high side, the 200 on the low side). Bad venting I suppose, YMMV

So a full to E is how many miles on a 200? Summer HWY I get about 300-320 with my 80. I have the same 4-5 gallons i reserve after the light on the gauge lights up. When you fill what driving style is used to determine range?

24.5 gallons x 17 mpg = 416.5 miles. But the light comes on and the gauge reads E around 19.5 gallons in my experience, so best case is ~330 miles before you get the low fuel warning and the gauge reads E. I'll drive another 30-40 miles after that under normal circumstances, but having run my 3rd gen 4Runner out of fuel when the needle was above E (which happened because I was towing a uhaul and the rear end was squatting a bit), doing so makes me uncomfortable.

Thanks, I would be fine it it was an easy hwy trip with 350 and pushing it 320. If I don't need the space i am taking my wifes benz (CDI) at almost 40mpg

I have a little bigger tire. About 33.5" i think. Most i got on a full tank was 250. Then light on drove 10 more miles and filled it up with 20.5 gallons. I would bet i am getting 13-14 mpg her in Colorado all in town driving.

24.5 gallons x 17 mpg = 416.5 miles. But the light comes on and the gauge reads E around 19.5 gallons in my experience, so best case is ~330 miles before you get the low fuel warning and the gauge reads E. I'll drive another 30-40 miles after that under normal circumstances, but having run my 3rd gen 4Runner out of fuel when the needle was above E (which happened because I was towing a uhaul and the rear end was squatting a bit), doing so makes me uncomfortable.

Is it just me or does the engine start feeling like it's knocking once E light turns on? I get very uncomfortable and run to refill ASAP as the LC doesn't seem to want to haul fast on E. It could be me just being paranoid but every time I check how the LC begins to respond. I have yet to fill more than 20 gallons.

Is it just me or does the engine start feeling like it's knocking once E light turns on? I get very uncomfortable and run to refill ASAP as the LC doesn't seem to want to haul fast on E. It could be me just being paranoid but every time I check how the LC begins to respond. I have yet to fill more than 20 gallons.

It's just you. Or at least, I've not noticed any difference in driving when running below E (either normal city or highway driving, or when towing). I've put just over 21 gallons in once, but I do feel paranoid running below E, even though I know I could drive 50 miles without blinking.

Ditto

Just did Pocatello, ID to Missoula, MT on I-15 & I-90 at mostly 80 mph.

356 miles on 19.95 gal.

Low fuel warning came on & the gauge read E around 330 miles.

2015 LC: Stock Rims & Tires

Most of the time (commuting to work and stuff) I get around 14/gal, but then again V8 and a lot of traffic. Though making a run from the Bay Area to Reno I did 17 MPG, and 17.2 with going from Reno to Medford (beautiful drive up 89 by the way). But on the way back (going south, I figured I would have get better mpg because of that) I got 15.2. All of this was done with cruse control set at 70 mph. With all of that I do not know how much I get per tank, but in planning a trip I plan on fuel every 300 miles. Need a bigger fuel tank.

Never heard or felt any difference of any kind on E or even below E...and I've managed to pump nearly 25 gallons in a single fill-up before.

Never heard or felt any difference of any kind on E or even below E...and I've managed to pump nearly 25 gallons in a single fill-up before.

The other day I was driving on E and car is definitely not moving as fast. It doesn't want to gun it like I normally do when it has gas.

Most of the time (commuting to work and stuff) I get around 14/gal, but then again V8 and a lot of traffic. Though making a run from the Bay Area to Reno I did 17 MPG, and 17.2 with going from Reno to Medford (beautiful drive up 89 by the way). But on the way back (going south, I figured I would have get better mpg because of that) I got 15.2. All of this was done with cruse control set at 70 mph. With all of that I do not know how much I get per tank, but in planning a trip I plan on fuel every 300 miles. Need a bigger fuel tank.

I (my wife, really) normally get about 10.5 MPG, but that's almost 100% city with a lot of short trips. It's closer to 9 once winter fully hits with temps that don't get above freezing and the winter fuel mix. Chicago fuel is 10% ethanol, so depending on where you live literally YMMV.

If I fill up at a rest area along the interstate and drive only highway miles with a light foot around 70MPH I've managed to get barely 18 MPG. I imagine it's possible to do better, but I feel like I would have to drive 55.

Like flying an airplane or captaining a yacht, when towing on the highway I start to measure consumption in pounds of fuel rather than MPG.

The other day I was driving on E and car is definitely not moving as fast. It doesn't want to gun it like I normally do when it has gas.

Very strange. Could it be that you had it in power mode before, and not in power mode now? Look for the ECT button and light on dash. This changes the shift points in your transmission, and would possibly fit your description.

No, it was left untouched. I am heavy on my gas pedal all the time and try to haul when car's yellow reserve fuel light comes on. When I start pushing the pedal the car has different shift points. Check next time you are on reserves, try to floor the car or 3/4 pedal. Car doesn't like to move like it does when light is not on. I have checked this numerous times (generally I try to refill 1/4 gas tank so it doesn't happen as often to me).

Another thing to consider is that running pure gas, with no ethanol, will extend your range beyond what gasoline with some percentage of ethanol will provide.

No, it was left untouched. I am heavy on my gas pedal all the time and try to haul when car's yellow reserve fuel light comes on. When I start pushing the pedal the car has different shift points. Check next time you are on reserves, try to floor the car or 3/4 pedal. Car doesn't like to move like it does when light is not on. I have checked this numerous times (generally I try to refill 1/4 gas tank so it doesn't happen as often to me).
Hmmm... How about a test?

Next time you are nearing E... pull over on a flat, safe, un-busy highway and stop (like late at night). Now have someone do a stop-watch and time your acceleration from 0-60 by LITERALLY FLOORING the gas pedal.

Next, let your tank dwindle until the light is on (remembering you still have at least 4gallons left) and to the same exact test...similar temperatures...similarly-warmed engine...wind same etc. to the extent possible...and FLOOR IT once again. Compare times. If there is a significant difference, I will be very surprised.

:princess: coaxed a bit more than 18mpg from the LC between Reno and Weinnemucca, NV running dead on the 75 mph speed limit across essentially flat desert. I was around 15 on US95 over rolling roads and a couple of mountain passes. The Cruiser runs right around 80 mph a tad over 2k rpm.

On Topic...what the hell did we ever do with no low-fuel warning lights and only a stupid gas gauge? :bang:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom