Miles on a full tank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I kept track of my first several fill ups in mine if you want real world MPG numbers. They're not great:

165 miles 15.2 gallons
248.8 16.763
256.1 17.967
244.6 18.441
221.3 17.316
262.5 19.098
251.3 17.252
210.9 16.645
197.0 15.972
185.6 16.171

Mind you this are the first fill ups on a car that is brand new.

Mix of city and highway. Typically just the driver and less than 200 pounds of gear. Sometimes 5 passengers, some extended highway trips of 2-300 miles at a time.

Take from this what you will. Range isn't great honestly.

There are companies in Australia that have extended tanks for around $1000USD, but getting them delivered to the states would be pricey unless you find a US distributor

Ya. I hear those are not built to fit US spec Cruisers...that they have to modded to work...and are a fortune to import. Hmmm...

I deleted all my previous posts since things got strange right quick. Anyway, here's a link to the Project 200 aux tank install if anyone is interested...

I believe in American ingenuity -- someone has to be able find a way to relocate the canister for the tank from down under or make a US version that works around it. There's too many smart yota loving engineer types and high quality fabricators not to be able to extend the range of this platform...

Thanks for the info on miles.. I have seen the long ranger tanks, there is also a smaller one like 17 gallons that fits under the body, where you can still fit the spare wheel under.. But someone had to move the charcoal canister and re-route a couple wires I think. Probably a days work. But have heard numerous problems with the fuel tank making vsc lights go off and such.. Not sure if that happens in AU or not.. Also have heard it is 2 grand shipped and they only will ship it to the port and you have to figure out how to get it from there.. Not sure how that would work...

When I import stuff from around the world, I just contact a local freight forwarder

You can find one at your port

They do all paperwork, even have special trucks they contract that are allowed inside the port and they deliver the merchandise for a small fee

Thanks for the info on miles.. I have seen the long ranger tanks, there is also a smaller one like 17 gallons that fits under the body, where you can still fit the spare wheel under.. But someone had to move the charcoal canister and re-route a couple wires I think. Probably a days work. But have heard numerous problems with the fuel tank making vsc lights go off and such.. Not sure if that happens in AU or not.. Also have heard it is 2 grand shipped and they only will ship it to the port and you have to figure out how to get it from there.. Not sure how that would work...

I kept track of my first several fill ups in mine if you want real world MPG numbers. They're not great:

165 miles 15.2 gallons
248.8 16.763
256.1 17.967
244.6 18.441
221.3 17.316
262.5 19.098
251.3 17.252
210.9 16.645
197.0 15.972
185.6 16.171

Mix of city and highway. Typically just the driver and less than 200 pounds of gear. Sometimes 5 passengers, some extended highway trips of 2-300 miles at a time.

I thought I was the only one who documented fuel fill to three decimal places! Sweet!

Good to know Ryan! I am leaning towards saving more and trying to get the newer model (16) with the refresh, or see if they do the full redesign, in the next couple years. I am really curious to see what the full redesign will look like; it could be amazing or ugly! I hated the 14 plus 4runner front ends that is why I bought the 13.. I wish I knew when the full redesign is coming out! Ha can't know everything about the future can we...

I thought I was the only one who documented fuel fill to three decimal places! Sweet!

I had to! Was too curious. I logged the first 2000 miles. I'll probably go 50k-52k again to just see how it changed.

Good to know Ryan! I am leaning towards saving more and trying to get the newer model (16) with the refresh, or see if they do the full redesign, in the next couple years. I am really curious to see what the full redesign will look like; it could be amazing or ugly! I hated the 14 plus 4runner front ends that is why I bought the 13.. I wish I knew when the full redesign is coming out! Ha can't know everything about the future can we...
I love the previous 4 runner

We had a v8 4 runner for a few years, replaced by our lx570

I LOVE the new 4 runner trail edition front end, hate the limited front end but neither is as beautiful as our v8 was

I think the 300 will look good. It's a big product for Toyota outside the USA . It is important to their portfolio

Took a bit to find @dtt255 s old thread on this install:

47 Gallon Long Ranger Aux Tank installation USA 200 series...

Our last fully loaded trip with m1101 in tow saw 9.1mpg and range 210-224miles depending on incline for that tank. This looks like a super PITA, probably worse than the ARB rear bumper, but maybe worth it?

Thanks for posting the link.

Wow. Looks like it was a huge pain.

He doesn't mention cost...but I have a feeling he must have spent around $4k for this... Don't know...but if ARB made it FOR HIM...then shipped it in 5 days...then added a second fuel gage and fuel pump...bed-linered... Sheesh. Maybe more like $5k?

165 miles 15.2 gallons
248.8 16.763
256.1 17.967
244.6 18.441
221.3 17.316
262.5 19.098
251.3 17.252
210.9 16.645
197.0 15.972
185.6 16.171

This is great. If I'm on the highway mostly I barely get 15mpg (sometimes I don't, but I also enjoy the V8 and cruising a bit over the limit). Overall I get around 13.5mpg combined.

Was curious about how long I could go on E, good to know logically I could get another 50+ miles.

330 miles is the most I have gotten on a tank of gas, and still had about 2.5 gallons still in the tank... running 87 octane. These were mostly highway miles.

Interesting, so is the 240ish miles accurate until it hits 0 miles left cruising range? Then add on another 40ish miles to that number? That still doesn't add up as if most people say they average 13mpg-17 (Tank is 24.6, so average 13 mpg would be almost 320 miles, (so cruising range should say 280 at that mpg if deducting the 40ish miles) and averaging 17 mpg, would be close to 420 miles)- (which the cruising range should say 380ish if getting 17mpg, accounting for the extra 4 gallons not calculated..

Sooo What does your cruising range say on average when you fill it up? (is the 240 accurate from the pictures I have seen)

What are you actually getting Miles per full tank?

I find there's about 5 gallons left in the tank when I fill up. When the light comes on, I have to put in 19 to 19.5gal. 13mpg x 19gal = 247, so that's pretty close to 240. Mine will say ~230 miles to empty when I refuel IIRC but I rarely get anywhere near that due to either city driving or trailer towing. I assume the range to empty calculation is based on recent MPG

I've yet to hear of anyone installing an ARB secondary fuel tank without spending at least $2000 and a lot of installation headaches.

I would totally be up for an aux fuel tank as well, but $2,000 buys a lot of jerry cans.

Most I've got so far was 380 miles to a full tank. I think I could have made the 400 mark . When I filled up it said 10 miles cruising range. This was all hwy miles from Chicago is to sc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom