My UZJ40 Build - 2UZ iForce V8 and a750f 5spd auto (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wow! Looks like you used Shandelle's outdoor kitchen to practice your welding skills! I know where we'll all be eating after the big one hits and our houses are simply memories... That kitchen will probably be a national landmark in a hundred years or so...;)

Seriously, great job on the kitchen Riley!

As stated earlier, I went with the Old Air Products Hurricane system. I am extremely impressed with it so far, and the kit is very high quality. I had to crimp my own lines after I cut them to length. Luckily, our hangar has some amazing tools that are available 24 hrs a day. Here is an AC line crimping tool I used for about an hour and 8 crimps.

20150825_130211.jpg

Action shot-

20150825_125248.jpg

After getting the lines home, I test fit them and all were perfect! Don't forget to clock the fittings with bends in them! I added 7 oz of PAG 46 oil to my compressor and vacuumed out my system for 1 hour. Then I let it sit for 24 hours with no leaks! Time to charge it!

20150914_174656.jpg

20150914_174648.jpg

After adding about 28oz of DuPont Freon, it was blowing ice cold!

Temp in garage that day-

20150915_180933.jpg

Temp of air coming out of the vents-

20150915_181159.jpg

I am so happy with the AC operation! I also hooked up the heater, which was pretty easy in comparison. The Hurricane unit moves A LOT of air!

Cool to hear you are pleased with the Hurricane system. Do you have any pics of the in-dash installation? Did you have to butcher the glove box at all?

And what a fantastic build. Love the professional way you handle all aspects of the build. Would love to have the kit to learn how to DIY my AC system.

Here's another post about the past couple of years, things I've done, people I've met, and cruisers I've bought....

Throughout the last few years, I've bought and sold a few Land Cruisers. They have each been very unique, and a lot of fun. Even though they took a lot of time away from my main 40 project, I was able to work on them, hang out with friends, and sell them for more 40 $$$.

On average, I look at craigslist a few times a day. I usually look for 40's or 40 parts exclusively. One day, I decided to look on MUD at the 80's For sale section. I came across an FZJ80 that was currently not running and the owner was basically giving it away.

I got pretty excited!

I looked at the location, and it was in Pahrump, NV, about an hour west of Las Vegas.

I got even more excited!

I noticed the ad was posted about 6 minutes before I stumbled upon it. The timing was perfect! I called him right then, set up a meeting time, and agreed on a price.

The seller even dropped it at my house for an extra $50! I got it the next evening.

20121227_162341.jpg

A quick rundown-

97 Land Cruiser
ARB front and rear lockers
Slee heavy duty lift
Slee sliders
35" KM2's
ARB front bumper
Front seats just recovered with leather

The seller had just changed the head gasket. After putting everything back together, there was still a knock in the bottom of the engine. I think he got pretty discouraged after a bit of diagnosing, and gave up. I started taking it apart to trace the noise. It was extremely difficult, because when it was apart, I couldn't run it to pinpoint the rattle. I had to reassemble the motor numerous times to see if it was better.

It turned out it was a tooth on the gear that was between the crank and power steering pump. Each revolution, it created a loud sound, similar to rod knocking. I ordered brand new gears from Toyota, and it was fixed!

So of course, the first thing to do after it was running was take it to the desert!

_DSC1208.jpg

_DSC1295.jpg

_DSC1252.jpg

Even though I thoroughly enjoyed working on and driving the 80, I ended up selling it a few months later for almost twice what I was into it. Although that seems like a good profit, I had close to 80 hours into it. That $ went straight toward my project funds. I knew if I kept it, I wouldn't use it very often, and I did not have room to store it.

Next up, a 78 40 series. Yet another local seller about 6 months after the 80 sold. He was the second owner and bought it only a few years old. It had been sitting for about 10 years when we went to look at it. At the time, I was going to pass on it, but a good friend of mine that went to look at it with me decided he wanted it. So, we loaded it up on a flatbed and took it home!

20130930_210755_LLS.jpg

After cleaning it up a bit, my buddy took it from there. It's a beautiful, well running rig now. He's done an outstanding job with it!

20131008_174101_HDR.jpg

And yet another 78. This one has a strange story about how I acquired. I'll try to keep it brief-

I was driving around in Boulder City, NV, which was about 20 minutes from our house, looking at neighborhoods to possibly buy a house in. As I passed by a house, I noticed the unmistakeable sight of a white fiberglass 40 top behind somebody's fence. I knocked on the door, and no answer. I go on my way and forget about it. Then, about a week later, for some reason I told my fiance I wanted to drive back and ask about the 40 again. Off we went!

The 40 was still there, but once again, no answer at the door. So I left a note with my business card. It said 'If you're interested in selling your FJ40, please call me'. Pretty straight forward!

About a week goes by and nothing. Then I get a call from an older lady. She asks what I'd be willing to pay, and I tell her I don't know till I look at it. She tells me she'll call me that weekend so I can come look at it.

That weekend rolls around and she doesn't call. I had her number, so I called her. We set up a time the next day, and I went to see it!

This is how it had been sitting for 15+ years:
20140125_144510.jpg

Come to find out, between the time the lady called me the first time, and the weekend she was suppose to call me, her husband passed away. He was the original owner of this 40. She was now ready to sell it, the house, and everything else she owned so she could move to Oregon and be closer to her daughter.

We agreed on a price, and off it went to my house!

20140127_093303.jpg

Unloaded and wiped off:

20140127_101126.jpg

I spent quite a bit of time cleaning this one up, but never got it running before I got a good offer on it. Because I had modified my 76 so extensively, I really wanted to keep this one to have an original too. But, there were too many mods on this one I didn't feel like working around. The biggest were:

Horrible job cutting fender flares
Aux tank fuel door
Big holes in firewall for A/C lines

I also wanted a 60's 40 for the original, so I'd keep looking. After cleaning up the 78 a bit more, it was gone in no time.

20140127_101155.jpg

20140204_165618.jpg

Before it left, my buddy stopped back by to pay a visit! Look how much nicer the blue 78 looks now!

20140203_172000_LLS.jpg

As I mentioned earlier, I had been looking for an early model, stock 40 to go with my 76. A few months ago, I came across a 67. After looking at it and agreeing on a price, it was time to take it home! At one time, it had a Chevy 350 in it, but had been removed. So when I bought it, there was no engine.

First seeing it:

20141110_162348.jpg

Loading it up! Seems to be all too familiar sight by now... taking a Land Cruiser home on a flat bed!

20141110_163711.jpg

The hard top on it was from an early 80's. If the top was period correct, I might have kept it, but since it wasn't, I took it off and sold it, including all 4 doors.

20141114_140612.jpg

I was fortunate enough to find a local MUD member selling a complete 1F drivetrain out of his running 67. He is in the process of upgrading to a 2F. I went out and helped them pull the 1F and load it on my trailer.

20150103_141729.jpg

So that's it for other cruiser's. We are down to two. I'm waiting till I finish my 76 before I start on the 67. There will be another build thread coming soon for that one, but it will be the polar opposite of my current build!
005.JPG

That top and doors of yours did not go to waste. BTW I am building a 77 with a 1UZ H55f with an Aqualu body. Small world

I'm glad they worked out well for you! They were some of the nicest pieces I've seen as far as rust and dents.

Why are you going 1UZ over 2UZ out of curiosity?

Riley, that's a beautiful outdoor kitchen you built for Shandelle, I bet she loves it. Great work!
Again your rig is awesome as well!

Seriously, great job on the kitchen Riley!

Thanks Danny!

Finally some more action on this thread! I'm glad it isn't dead. Can't wait to see more! Thanks!

Yeah, not quite dead.... ;) I like to post when I make some good progress or have done something interesting with it!

Cool to hear you are pleased with the Hurricane system. Do you have any pics of the in-dash installation? Did you have to butcher the glove box at all?

And what a fantastic build. Love the professional way you handle all aspects of the build. Would love to have the kit to learn how to DIY my AC system.

Plus 1 on seeing the dash install! Looks great!

Thank you. Pics of the dash coming soon. My ECU and Dakota Digital gauge computers are in the glove box, so it's still a wiring mess. I almost have then cleaned up, and I'll post interior pics. And no, I did not have to modify my glove box.

I'm glad they worked out well for you! They were some of the nicest pieces I've seen as far as rust and dents.

Why are you going 1UZ over 2UZ out of curiosity?
Aluminum block , light weight, a friend of mine has one and it is smooth.
I also have a 3 wiper linkage from AU .

Finalizing a lot of the wiring... just about wrapped up under the hood (hopefully you can't see it, I tried to make it clean). Man, it feels nice putting the engine cover on!! Not much room to spare in this engine bay!

20151020_182226_Richtone(HDR).jpg

20151020_182326_Richtone(HDR).jpg

20151020_182403_Richtone(HDR).jpg

20151020_182354_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Last edited:
Unbelievable. Just unbelievable.

I can't wait to see what comes next.

I spent the week at SEMA, so it motivated me to finish this thing up once and for all! Really just down to some wiring, putting the seats back in, and door panels on.

I threw the rack on last night just to see what it would look like, but I've ultimately made the decision to get rid of it. It makes it too tall, especially with the roof tent on top of that.

20151105_201639_Richtone(HDR).jpg

I've had some people ask me about a couple items-

First, brake lines. I used a nickel/copper blend. It was extremely easy to work with. Easy to bend, and easy to flare. This was the first line I made, which was for the rear axle-

20150112_113109.jpg

I made all my own lines using this tool, which I highly recommend-

20150130_093223.jpg

20150130_093235.jpg

Also, my oil filter. I had to do a remote mount, due to location of the stock oil filter on the 2UZ. With how narrow the 40 frame is at the front, there is no room for a filter, and BARELY enough room for the remote mount! I looked for many different mounts, and this was the highest quality and best fitment. It also allowed me to use an OEM Toyota oil filter, rather than a generic thread. It is made by Canton Racing.

20150304_181843.jpg

20150304_181934.jpg

20150304_183844.jpg

I take it that adapter uses the huge bolt to hold it to the block ? How are the seals built on that part ? I've looked into this to ditch the stock "nose-down" filter arrangement on the 2F and you're pretty limited to mounting locations . That looks to be a well made setup , I've used the Earl's from Summit in the past , not bad but it's hard to index the spin-on adapter correctly .

Sarge

I take it that adapter uses the huge bolt to hold it to the block ? How are the seals built on that part ? I've looked into this to ditch the stock "nose-down" filter arrangement on the 2F and you're pretty limited to mounting locations . That looks to be a well made setup , I've used the Earl's from Summit in the past , not bad but it's hard to index the spin-on adapter correctly .

Sarge

You're exactly right... the huge bolt threads into where the normal filter would thread. There is a huge o-ring that goes on the outside, just like a filter. This is a very high quality kit, it's all machined aluminum. I bought the $50 Summit special and it was a joke. Not only that, the fittings came out from the adapter straight, not at a 90, which almost defeats the purpose of having an adapter to make room.

It is very easy to clock the adapter, just point it and tighten the bolt. Here's the kit-

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ctr-22-824/overview/

I did not buy the kit, I just bought the adapter and filter mount separately so I could use black hose and fittings, rather than the Earls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom