1966 FJ45LV Rejuvenation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
Documenting the current condition and eventual rejuvenation, rebirth, restorification and upgrades of my 1966 FJ45LV.

The truck is new to me yesterday, April 18th, 2013.

I bought it sight-unseen based on pics and PO description and info. Here it is upon arrival.

IMG_0264.jpg

Here are a couple of the pics the PO sent me before I bought it... Unfortunately these make it look better than it really is... The engine compartment is a horror story.... got me thinking of a v8 already!

IMG_0488.jpg

IMG_0486.jpg

IMG_0687.jpg

Is this the rhino lined exterior one with the Chevy 6? I looked at the possibility of buying.... what are your plans? Congrats!

Oooops. You posted pics as I posted that... not the same one. Either way, cool truck!

I think the rust - as it is known now - is serviceable. I am indeed afraid of what I will find when I start digging but I guess that is the nature of this hobby! I can grind, sand and weld and I imagine I will get my fill of all of these before this is over.

Short term is to get it safe to drive: brakes (dual circuit, keep drums for now), steering (inspect, adjust, lube and replace as needed). All fluids and lube of course. The engine needs some TLC but I think it'll be ok, a tune up is in order. Gotta clean up the wiring nightmare enough so I don't burn the truck down (Yikes).

The dash lever for the 4wd/low range is missing but that's not a big deal out of the gate as this will stay on the street for now. The gas pedal is a home built Frankenstein thing and needs to be replaced with a real assembly.

I also want to address the roof/rain gutter rust to stop additional water intrusion into the body panels and interior.

Once it is stable as per the above I'll start making a list...
v8
auto
springs
seats/seatbelts
weatherstrip

...ok, so I already started a list... ;)

Congratulations! This gives me hope that I'll find one someday (that I can afford).

When I visited ACC a couple weeks ago I was told their goal was to have their work on their client's LV finished in time for the LV's 50th b'day. Perhaps you should have a similar goal.

Please update the thread as you make progress.

Last edited:
Spent 3 hours today STARTING to get the grease and mud out of the frame rails... it was packed in hard right up to the bottom of the large access holes the whole length of both sides. I got out about 80% of it between hand digging it out with a pry bar and a pressure washer. I'll need to go at it again to finish it up...

The good news is that MAYBE the crap packed in there has preserved the inside of the frame... they feel pretty clean under the mess. Maybe a PO had bee spraying diesel or used oil in there... who knows....

mark

bold move, my friend.

you must have some pictures of the good parts too, don't hold out.

Thanks Kina,
I'll post up more as I go along. The door bottoms were meant to show an area that I think could have been bad that is not...

Congratulations! This gives me hope that I'll find one someday (that I can afford).

When I visited ACC a couple weeks ago I was told their goal was to have their work on their client's LV finished in time for the LV's 50th b'day. Perhaps you should have a similar goal.

Please update the thread as you make progress.

There's no Mud Packed in these Frame Rails!!!

You guys aren't getting any younger, remember Rust never Sleeps!!!:whoops: Trust the Force Luke....or the Hendog:grinpimp::grinpimp::grinpimp:.

DSC01687.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom