Polk Audio DXI6500 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So one of my Polk Audio DB651’s blew out a couple of months back,

Link to DB651’s

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-xxbdslj9seo/p_107DB651/Polk-Audio-db651.html

Luckily for Christmas Santa brought me some new speakers all around to replace them! The DB651’s sounded alright, definitely a huge upgrade from the stock setup, and along with the Scion 1809 radio the whole package sounded great for a while. That being said I was always looking for a little more bass and better sound all around, so for Christmas I got the Polk Audio DXI6500 Component speakers for the front and rear doors.

Link
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DXI6500/Polk-Audio-DXi6500.html?tp=106#details-tab

The install was pretty easy since I had previously installed the DB651’s. The front speakers require you to use the included spacers to make them fit. In order to make the rear speakers fit there is some trimming of the door frame is involved, as well as using the supplied spacer, as the stock speakers are only 5 ¼”, it can easily be done though with a Sawzall in a couple of minutes. The new woofers bolt right into the same locations that the previous speakers were installed, and the tweeters I mounted right next to the woofer and angled them up. The cross overs I mounted using double sided tape and some very shallow screws onto the door card. I trimmed the included wires to make them as short as possible to limit the excess wires possibly ending up creating a rattle between the door card and the door frame.

Compared to the DB651’s the sound output cannot be compared. The bass is very impressive for a budget component system, and the crossovers allow you to adjust the tweeters for optimal sound. I could finally turn up the volume on the speakers and listen to them LOUD to muffle some highway ambient noise the DB651’s always seemed like they couldn’t handle the power coming from the Scion 1809. Overall I am extremely pleased with the upgrade, not to mention the speaker covers look significantly better (the DB651’s were a little gaudy for my taste). I highly recommend them to anyone looking to get some better sound without having to add amp’s and sub woofers to their LC’s.

Thanks for looking!

P.S.

I’ll have some photos up later this week as the truck is currently in the shop having the valve cover gasket replaced.

One picture I forgot I had!

imagexbs.jpg

Why the tweeter so low, I think it would sound better if it was high on the doors, I feel you would loose alot of the space or air in the sound!

you are probably correct, I was actually going to mount them higher but I couldn't find a good place to mount them with out cutting big holes in the door panel, hence they are down lower, they still sound fantastic though!

I haven't installed any car stereo stuff in about 11 years, but I used to do it professionally for Fry's, Circuit City, and Magnolia HiFi... one trick is to use velcro and just a small hole for the speaker wire. My plans on my 97 is to put them on the black triangle that hides the side mirror mounting bolts. The sound stage would be Greatly improved... you can test the difference by just moving your leg back and forth (away and towards the speakers) to see how much the highs get drowned out down low.

just an idea
Brandon

you are probably correct, I was actually going to mount them higher but I couldn't find a good place to mount them with out cutting big holes in the door panel, hence they are down lower, they still sound fantastic though!

You have them correctly placed based on what I've read... I installed some high end CDT Audio speakers and placed my tweeters high on the door.....and could never get the high end to sound right ... I should have read their web site as they have a section on speaker placement ... Down low by the main speaker is correct

Lou

The technical reason down low and usually in the kick panel is best is because you have less discrepancy in the time it takes the sound to reach your ears. Back in my old audiophile days you used to "tune" your systems based on time alignment. Realistically though a car isn't a great audio platform and the differences between the two are mostly bragging rights :) not to mention if you tune the soundstage for the driver everyone else is off.

How much trimming is involved with mounting 6.5" speakers in the doors?

I haven't installed any car stereo stuff in about 11 years, but I used to do it professionally for Fry's, Circuit City, and Magnolia HiFi... one trick is to use velcro and just a small hole for the speaker wire. My plans on my 97 is to put them on the black triangle that hides the side mirror mounting bolts. The sound stage would be Greatly improved... you can test the difference by just moving your leg back and forth (away and towards the speakers) to see how much the highs get drowned out down low.

just an idea
Brandon

I thought of the triangle too but it's not flat. It's pretty severely curved inward. How would you deal with that? Because it is a good spot. My VW has them there.

I'll have to check in the A.M. about how much of a curve, but I don't remember it being sever enough that velcro couldn't over come it...

but in the past, I've used the double sided sticky foam as it's a bit more forgiving...

I will install a pair next week and will post pictures of what I come out with!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom