Aussie Locker install, semi vs full float (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've searched and cant seem to find any differences, if there is any, installing an Aussie Locker in a semi-float rear vs a full-float rear. ConcreteJungle and I are both going to be installing Aussie's today, his being a full float and mine being semi. Are there any differences or should the install be pretty much the same for both.

I've searched and cant seem to find any differences, if there is any, installing an Aussie Locker in a semi-float rear vs a full-float rear. ConcreteJungle and I are both going to be installing Aussie's today, his being a full float and mine being semi. Are there any differences or should the install be pretty much the same for both.

It's gonna be different.

Your semi-float has an inspection plate in the rear. You'll need to put your Aussie on while everything is still in the axle via that hole where the inspection plate is. Also, you'll need some thick dino gear oil to quiet that Aussie down just a hair. The full floaters have to take their entire third out since they won't have that plate. Those full floaters only thought they had it made:p

SF: remove inspection cover, remove c-clips, pull the axle-shafts out just a little, remove spiders and cross-pin, follow install instructions for Semi-float/Banjo style rear ends.

FF: remove 3rd, remove spiders, follow drop-out 3rd install instructions.

OK, so mine was a breeze.

Steve's semi we are having some issues. We have the driver's side (left side) installed, we now have everything sitting just as the instructions say trying to put the right side c clip in between the gear teeth. But the c-clip will not fit. It's just too tight. We have pulled axles, pried with screw drivers, but still can't fit the c-clip in.

Any suggestions?

Hit that axle on the wheel end with a big rubber mallet....

So I would need to hit the pass. side in, pushing it all the way through against the left side gear assembly which in turn should push it as far left as possible allowing for just enough room on the right so the c-clip will slip between the right side teeth. Then slide the axle back out a little exposing the groove for the c-clip and then slidie the c-clip on in around the groove.Man I hope I worded that correctly.....we have a couple of pics on Alex's camera he's gonna post tonight.

Sorry to hijack but since i'm planning on putting this locker in this winter, where did you guys end up getting your lockers from and how much was it? (hijack over) :D

hows it going any progress? get those c-clips in yet?

ok, here is the pic of steve's truck where we can't fit the c-clip back in!! It just will not fit between the gears like the instructions say. Everything else is in place. THe space we are talking about is where the screw driver is. :bang: :wrench:

In this picture you can see where the spacer has slid back almost into the correct position covering the axle end; this pic was taken after we had thrown in the towel. But before, the spacer was pushed to the left so you could clearly see the axle end and the channel that the c-clip slides on.
aussie locker install 008 (Medium).jpg

hows it going any progress? get those c-clips in yet?

Shamefully no. I had to wrap it up for the night a little earlier, I have to be doing something wrong because everything I have read days its relatively easy. Did you have any problems getting the right side c-clips in?

You assembled the locker before you had the c-clips in? Take the two center sections out, put the c-clip in, THEN continue installing the center sections and springs and pins. Wait, no.

It's a rotating and jiggling motion that gets everything to line up. Do you have either C-clip in?

the instructions say to install the gears and then c-clip on the driver's side first. After that they say to make a "U" shaped tool out of a clothes hanger (WTF??). THen install the PS cam gear by pressing it against the DS cam gear. THen, use the "U" tool you made to push the spacer over flush with the DS space which will then hold the cam gear in place. YOu then are supposed to slide the c-clip onto the axle in between the teeth of the cam gear (as shown in pic above). Once this is accomplished you reposition the cam gear back to the right side as well as push the spacer over with it. Install the springs, then the pinion shaft and your done.

We just can't get the c-clip to fit between the teeth.

Then it's the jiggling and wiggling to get it in there. Looks like you've got it? Try rotating any and everything till you can get it to fall in. I remember having to spin things around several times to get everything lined up just right to work.

I told steve, i think when he's fresh tomorrow, clean the grease off everything and give it another shot.

Just tedious to get it all just right to line things up.

So the issue is the c-clip hitting the teeth on the gear, or is it hitting the cap for the axle shaft?

WAIT!!! We're ALL complete IDIOTS! Is there not a flat spot machined into the locker itself for just this purpose?

Maybe not...looked at some more pics, not what I was thinking.

Last edited:
logan, the issue is the c-clip will not fit b/w the gears teeth. It does not make contact w/ the axle or end cap. I took that pic, and the washer is hard to see but it is there just below the screwdriver. we turned the axle/gears a couple times and had no luck. The tolerances on these are tight, concretes was under spec but ended up being the smallest amount of excess grease behind the thrust washers.

Yea, that looks a little greasier than mine, I used MUCH brake cleaner, but I don't see how you can get those pins and springs in without it being extremely clean in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom