Full Float rear axle bearing lock nut plate modification (Plate, Lock nut 42428-60011) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here's a simple mod that's been in my brain for awhile so finally decided to go ahead and make up a modified rear axle bearing lock nut plate. That's the "washer" with four holes that fits on a full float rear axle spindle between the rear axle outer hub bearing and the lock nut/collar.

(Scroll down to the photos to avoid all the words)

Background:

Was in the middle of a rear axle service and after using a torque wrench to install and settle the new bearings (following the FSM procedure using 43 ft lbs x 2) I found that at one position where the lock nut would line up with the notch on the spindle (so that the set screws would line up with holes in the plate) the bearing preload was at the very low end of the scale (6 lbs rotational torque), and it felt too easy to rotate the hub by hand.

And when I moved the locking collar tighter to the next available position the bearing preload was now at the very high end of the range (12-13lbs) if not a bit past. To get to that position I had to set my torque wrench to 55-60 ft lbs and once I got there the hub was very hard to turn, way too much preload.

So I decided to have four extra holes drilled into the lock plate in-between the four holes already there for a total of eight holes.

This mod may cause a bit of debate, ie: seems like most people set the rear wheel bearing preload by feel because there's too many variables when setting preload if using a fish scale, or maybe they just slam it with a sledge hammer like a well-known highly experienced Land Cruiser mechanic in Australia (he strikes the mounted tire, not the hub, to help settle the bearings).

This topic (not using a fish scale) for setting bearing preload is fairly well settled for the Front axle, but is it for the rear??

The way I look at it, it doesn't hurt to use some method to tell you where you are in the range (~5.7-12.8 lbf), and it is in the FSM, so I went with an ANALOG (mechanical) fish scale ie: a simple spring dial-type scale.

Reason being I've found that the digital "fish" scales, all use some sort of load cell to determine weight which (all) seem to have a certain amount of delay in the readout so as you're pulling to check rotational starting torque of the hub you get numbers on the digital display like 3.9, 5.2, 7.5, 9.3,--- then the hub rotates, but wait, did it rotate at 7.5 or 9.3 or ??

Point is IME, when using a simple mechanical spring dial gauge it's easier to determine when the rear hub starts to rotate compared to a digital instrument. There are better dial type measuring torque wrenches that are very accurate but they cost a few hundred dollars and you'd need another tool to attach it to the hub.

FWIW I've found that the numbers I was getting on the rear hubs using a spring gauge were reproducible about 7-8 times out of 10 ie: occassionally I would get a lower number and sometimes I'd get a higher number, but rotating the hub again (and tossing out those "outlier" numbers) that the preload numbers (starting torque using the dial gauge) were very similar ie: if you took 10-15 measurements and tossed the wild ones, most came out the same.

FWIW I also checked rotational torque with zero preload on a set of new (grease packed) bearings along with the new design Terrain Tamer HD Casette type hub seals, and got just 1 lb starting torque.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I realize that the vast majority of people go by feel when setting preload on their wheel bearings and that's all good. The point of this thread however is that IMHO there just weren't enough choices (hole positions) in the original lock nut plate design to get the bearing preload I wanted (whether set by feel or by using a gauge, or both, which is the method I'm using).

I suppose that one way to look at it is that this design with only four holes in the lock nut plate has worked well for something like fifty years so why bother?? Can't argue with that other than my recent experience as mentioned above: the first set screw position after following the FSM procedure was at the very low side of the range and felt too loose and the next available position was at the very top of the range and felt way too tight (repeating myself).

Either way, as always, the photos tell the story:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

First is a photo of the current style OEM plate for the rear axle full-floating bearing lock nut plate. They still have four holes but now come with what appears to be a thin ?Molybdenum coating and the hole chamfers are less pronounced compared to an original (25 year old) plate (not shown, yet).

FZJ80 full floating rear axle plate lock nut.jpg

The next group of photos below show my modified lock plate with four extra holes drilled in-between the original four holes.

Note that the ID of the plate is not a perfect circle, more like two D's back to back which changes as you get near the bottom. This means the measurements to locate the holes (the "bolt circle") must be taken from the outer edge of the plate (which is a circle). FWIW these were modified for me by a part-time (old-timer) machinist to my rough specs. Will post the few numbers I have but this was done on pencil and paper, so I don't have any fancy Computer graphics to post up.

Others who are machinists and/or handy with computer programs I'm sure will be able to put this into some sort of Machine/software program for anyone to reproduce. (a Royalty fee of $75 will be collected via paypal for each plate modified. See my attorney's contact information at the end of this tome).;)

Four new holes at 12 and 6, 9 and 3 O'clock positions. Note the hole at 6 O'clock looks like it's too close to the inner edge but it is in the "bolt circle" (on the same circular line as the other holes). It just ends up in that location due to the design of the plate. Most forces on a set screw at that location IMO would be radial ie: left or right which is the purpose of the screw, so the lock nut doesn't back off.

FZJ80 rear axle locking nut plate modified.png

Once the holes are all in the same bolt circle (so they line up with the threaded holes in the locking nut) the other key specification is that each set of two opposing holes are in the same line/axis radially (directly across from each other on the circle).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next photo shows the diameter of the unthreaded tip of the set screw that goes into the hole in the plate. The holes in the plate itself are approximately 4.7mm or 0.185 inches. We noted there was slight variability in the hole diameters in each original plate and between original plates. There also was some variablity in the degree of chamfering around the holes in the original plates however more recent production plates have very little chamfer.

Main point if anyone wants to do this themselves is that the holes in the plate are larger than the set screw tip by somewhere around 0.4mm or 0.0156 inches ie: a sloppy fit to allow some leeway for installing the set screws.

Note also that the set screws have a tapered tip, and the lock plate is a loose fit on the spindle, so when you tighten up the lock nut the plate that it's squeezing down on has a tendency to shift IME. So with the tapered tip, if it can catch part of a hole that isn't centered, as the screw is tightened down the plate should shift into position for the full diameter of the post to pass into that hole, if that's clear as Mud.

Set screw post diameter millimeters.jpg

Same measurement in inch decimals:

Set screw post diameter inches.jpg

Just tossed this last photo in to show having more holes is not a new idea, this is a lock nut from some other vehicle (not a Land Cruiser)

Spicer bronco spindle nut washer.jpg

Last edited:
Couple more orientation photos for those who've never had their full-floating rear axle apart showing the (round) rear axle bearing lock nut, the rear axle lock nut plate, and how the set screws engage the plate.

Might seem basic to anyone who's had these parts in their hands before but IME until you've done a job and have actually taken things apart and put them back together, the more photos/videos you see before you start, helps.

Note that the lock nut has 6 set screw threaded holes and the original lock nut plate has four holes so only four possible positions when tightening up the lock nut using unmodified parts.

With eight holes in the modified plate there are now eight possible positions for the bearing lock nut to get finer control of the preload wherever or however you want to set it (by feel or by using a tension gauge).

Also note that the set screw (heads) are not Phillips but Japanese Industrial Standard (JIS) Cross Head (or Cross Point) pattern which means either use a JIS screwdriver or bit, or find a Phillips bit or screwdriver that fits snugly into the slots. Either way IME it helps to press inward using two hands very firmly while turning the screwdriver or bit to remove the screws, especially if you aren't using a JIS tool. This may be why these screws have a reputation for being "soft". IME if you use the right tool and firm pressure the slots don't strip. FWIW

This is what you'll be looking at when removing the rear hubs (after the axle shafts have been pulled out): the screws come out first then you unscrew this locking nut using the spanner wrench below.

(this is not meant to be a rear axle bearing service thread, mostly just discussing how the original and a modified lock plate fits on the spindle with the lock nut)

Locking collar and set screws in new position middle preload range with modified plate.jpg

Inner/back side of the same bearing lock nut showing two set screw tips poking up (without the plate installed, just to show how it all goes together)
Locking nut showing two set screw tips.png

Next photo below shows the lock plate in position on the rear of lock nut to better show the new holes in relation to the original:

Red lines = original lock plate hole positions
Yellow lines = new additional lock plate hole positions

Note at the 9 and 3 O'clock positions are the tips of set screws (staged
for the photo):

Locking nut with plate showing original Red and new Yellow holes.png

So with the new holes in the yellow marked positions there would still be two holes available for set screws once you've lined things up.

What I've done (photo to follow) is to file extra notches or match marks into the outer rim of the spindle @ 12, 6, 9, 3 between the original four notches. So instead of just 4 notches or match marks to use to line up the lock nut there are now 8.

And once you've line up the lock nut to one of the new match marks there will always be two holes for the set screws as before, ie: located in line with the short ends of a T when the long end of the T lines up with the match marks, if that makes sense. (I'l try to make a diagram to show that better).

FZJ80 Setting rear bearing preload.JPG

So the location of the two set screws are always in the same relationship to the matched up marks (assuming you added extra notches on the outer rim of the spindle). ie: draw an imaginary line from the post that's lined up to the center and then go 90 degrees to each side to find the set screws holes. Of course you can just do the poke-and-hope method until you find the open holes as whatever you use to test the depth of the holes (must be narrower than the threads of course) will go in deeper when you find the correct positions.

One exception: if the lock plate has shifted the holes in the plate may not line up with the holes in the nut. Be also before you install the lock nut be sure to push the lock plate in and down into the keyway on the top of the spindle.

One way to check (if the screws won't go in) is to clean the holes out ie: using Q-tips, then take a photo looking into the hole to check if it's clear/open.

Position of set screw holes in relation to matched marks .jpg

Last edited:
Added this link for anyone who hasn't yet done the rear axle service* yet to see how it all goes together. (*replace/repack hub bearings, hub seals, outer axle seals, etc)

This rear axle bearing/seal video is well done, the section showing installation of the (unmodified) lock nut plate washer and the lock nut starts ~17:30. Note he does not use a spring gauge and that's OK.

As mentioned earlier it helps IME to use both methods (by feel and the gauge) as a sort of cross check. Buried in a ton of words in the thread above and IME when the FSM method is followed the rotational torque may end up well below (or above) the recommended range hence the use of the spring gauge to at least get somewhere in the range double checked by feel IMHO.

FWIW

Last edited:
Reserved for blah blah blah

I'm sure you've seen these.
trail gear front spindle lock nuts for reference.

Screenshot_20231111_155412_Brave.jpg

Screenshot_20231111_155911_Drive.jpg

The number of options for locking these down is one of the things that makes these a worthwhile conversion IMO

Yes, recalling that aftermarket front axle lock nut sytem was part of the inspiration to make more holes in the original rear axle bearing lock nut plate when I couldn't find a set of hole locations I llked when setting the rear axle bearing preload. That on top of knowing many other vehicles (other than Toyota) use an axle/spindle locking nut or plate with more holes/positions.

I thought at first maybe I was overthinking it as (AFAIK) no one had done it before (for the rear axle), so figured I'm either a genius ;) or it was a waste of time (more likely) :meh:

Either way, it was a fun little project.

Maybe someone with computer graphic skills could put a file together for the forum in a software/digital form where anyone could take it to their local machinist so he could plug the numbers into the machine so-to-speak??

(More photos to follow this weekend showing how it clocks on the spindle compared to a stock plate.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom