Yet another A-TRAC thread ... but A-Track on a Triple Locked 100 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.youtube.com
Today I was out playing around on some newer trails I haven't been on before ... difficult trails maybe a level 7 Jeep trail. I have not been up through there before because my Kuruza wouldn't make it with just A-TRAC and 35" tires. After I had Zuk do a nice job of stuffing 4.88s and front and rear e-lockers in my diffs I was curious about the capability advantages (if any) over just A-TRAC. Note: I also have the 3.12 low-range and 1.1 high-range transfer case gears.

First time on a difficult trail. For those in AZ think Evis ... Ajax Mine ... Smasher Canyon or Highway to Hell, maybe one level up from Charouleau Gap. Or in Colorado think Holy Cross, Grizzly Lake, Iron Chest, or Coon Hollow. So relatively serious trials where you are gonna get some body damage.

The trail I was on today, down here in Mexico, got pretty gnarly much faster than I anticipated ... a cliff on one side and off-camber erosion ... no place to turn around so just got to keep going. I had locked the center, front, and rear diffs and was in low range 1st gear attempting an obstacle, left-hander up maybe a 40-degree incline, not more than ten feet tall, and with a blind backside. I stopped, walked it ... then carefully proceeded forward to see if I had enough breakover to make the obstacle without getting hi-centered. I was creeping, very slowly, and the front was very light, maybe I had a little wheel lift but could not get enough traction even at 7 psi. (I have beadlocks).

The strangest thing happened ... as all four wheels started to just rotate and slowly spin I thought I saw my A-TRAC light come on - but in yellow???? I wasn't sure, had my attention elsewhere as on the blind side of the obstacle there is a 30 feet hole just outside of where my driver's front tire would hopefully track. Didn't matter because I wasn't getting up and over it. I tried another line, cautiously and slowly and the same thing, I thought my A-TRAC engaged again. I double check that my center diff lock was on. Both lockers were engaged, I could feel it. But as soon as I got a little wheel lift, maybe one or both of the front wheels momentarily off the ground is when I felt something. I decided not to try and bump it up the obstacle, that's how I have bought myself many axles. So I did a 72-point turn and went back down the mountain.

I remember before the lockers, in the sand at Glamis, I could not make it up Oldsmobile Hill with A-TRAC ... it just bogged me down no matter what. I had to run through different strategies, and finally, after not even getting close in Low Range, I tried Hi Range but bogged down in 2nd as my truck is underpowered. I figured out that by dropping the shift lever into 1st Hi Range and with center diff lock on, the A-Trac would stop working after about 3000 RPM and I made it up the hill. But it seemed that sometimes that A-TRAC would still kick in even with the center diff locked??? Am I imagining things? I read that they completely revamped the ATRAC for the 06-07 model year with some other nonsense with the ABS and ESC Electronic Brake Force Distribution Control and whatnot, so it has been difficult to find another VVTI driver with similar experiences.

Of the changes in A-TRAC in Low Range it is supposed to not function in 1st gear, only if you start out with the gear selector in 2nd, 3rd or 4th (no 5th in Low Range) - and even if it drops into 1st the A-TRAC will continue to work. Steady throttle application is key as we all know but under 3000 RPMs as it disengages after that. I have seen ATRAC engage in both low and high ranges but did NOT expect it to be able to engage with all three lockers engaged in Low Range. Am I smoking crack?

I will head to a moderate trail with some difficult obstacles outside Tucson this weekend (thinking Chivo Falls, Three Feathers, etc) Sunday and will try and take a video. I am still not 100% sure it was the A-TRAC light flashing but in yellow, I was focused on not rolling off the side of the mountain. But there is something awry and maybe the A-TRAC doesn't like the lockers and there is just enough driveline slop to move the front wheels an inch more and it starts trying to engage? I don't know everything feels pretty tight, all new well pretty much everything has been rebuilt under the truck.

Hoping I can add to this thread and provide some information for anyone else with A-TRAC thinking about doing lockers, the differences in capabilities, costs, or any other information I could share. In the meantime I wanna figure out what / why / if A-TRAC is activating at extreme angles while triple-locked.

Zuk, Overland Cruisers, Cruiser Outfitters, East Coast Gear Supply and Revolution Gear were all excellent to work with - especially Zuk, Onur and Kurt.

output_image1674773058200(1).jpg

69706751943__F8A6B632-1635-495E-93A5-F2788C9C42A1.jpg

20230124_121242.jpg

output_image1674751143317(1).jpg

IMG_1832.JPEG

Last edited:
Very interesting and appreciate the info. I realize I’m not worthy to even comment here with my zero knowledge of lockers with ATRAC but as I learn….isn’t the purpose of ATRAC to increase brake pressure and slow wheel spin going directly against the purpose of a locked axle?

Very interesting and appreciate the info. I realize I’m not worthy to even comment here with my zero knowledge of lockers with ATRAC but as I learn….isn’t the purpose of ATRAC to increase brake pressure and slow wheel spin going directly against the purpose of a locked axle?
Correct, ATRAC modulates the brake pressure ... Basically when the computer detects a loss of traction and one wheel speed is higher than the average of the other three wheels for example, brake pressure is applied to that wheel that is spinning or losing traction. To me, it does seem that ATRAC should not be functioning at all if everything's locked up and all the wheels are rotating at the same speed. The system can only "react" to two wheels ... The second generation ATRAC on the 200s can modulate all four. In our 100 series it's always activated, you can't turn it off no matter what. The 4Runners and FJ's have a button and you can deactivate it. If you touch the break at all, it does temporarily deactivate, but it bounces right back. I'm going to do more testing tomorrow out on the trail and see if I can report back with some better data.

Idk- I’m 3x locked and still left foot brake up obstacles to limit wheel spin- haven’t had atrac kick off yet. Give that a try nxt time and see if your atrac lights up.

A Ford Crown Victoria I owned years ago would not allow wheel spin unless I gently placed my foot on the brake. Apparently it overrides the traction control. I wonder if the A-Trac would also default to off if you gently placed your foot on the brake pedal. Note: You will not lay down burn out tracks like my Crown Vic did but I wonder if it helps with traction related to the triple lock scenario you have created.

Idk- I’m 3x locked and still left foot brake up obstacles to limit wheel spin- haven’t had atrac kick off yet. Give that a try nxt time and see if your atrac lights up.
So ... went out today to hit some trails in Tucson. I could not replicate what I thought I saw with the ATRAC flashing but in yellow. I couldn't get the ATRAC to activate at all today when triple locked. I had it light up once when the front was unlocked. For 70 percent of the trail ATRAC was doing the job. ATRAC and rear locker for 85% and for the last and most difficult section I had to lock everything up. I have to say it is a LARGE step up in traction from ATRAC. I didn't find the need to left foot it today ... but I have done that in the past on other rigs. The gearing has been quite noticable ... had some heads turning today on some of the obstacles, but nothing as hairy as the other day.

A Ford Crown Victoria I owned years ago would not allow wheel spin unless I gently placed my foot on the brake. Apparently it overrides the traction control. I wonder if the A-Trac would also default to off if you gently placed your foot on the brake pedal. Note: You will not lay down burn out tracks like my Crown Vic did but I wonder if it helps with traction related to the triple lock scenario you have created.
It appears today that while I was out I was not able to get ATRAC to activate at all when all three lockers were engaged. Had it work just the front while the center and rear were locked and that was kinda cool. Hard to justify the cost of a front locker after experiencing this ... I didn't need the front locker for the majority of the trail today. A level 6 trail ... not hyper crazy but difficult in spots.

VideoCapture_20230218-174647.jpg

At least with the front locker- you have removed (or at least improved) the weak link in a 100 series- (the front carrier) - with a stronger carrier- theres less chance of chunking a ring gear next time you need to bumpit up a ledge

Youre locked up on that off camber stuff??

At least with the front locker- you have removed (or at least improved) the weak link in a 100 series- (the front carrier) - with a stronger carrier- theres less chance of chunking a ring gear next time you need to bumpit up a ledge

No I don't usually lock the front when it's off camber that much ... can cause the front to slide a bit. When slippery... as you know, ironically ... lockers cost you traction. Kind of a hard thing to convey isn't it? Knowing when to use them is key ... lockers suck on ice but great when doing the Toyota wave and one wheel is three feet off the ground.

So does ATRAC even make a difference once lockers are in all the diffs? It sounds like it might be kind if extraneous at best. Then again, maybe in some situations it'd be better than lockers, like deep sand for instance. It sounds like it might've been hindering you on the tough obstacle you mention in your first post, however.

So does ATRAC even make a difference once lockers are in all the diffs? It sounds like it might be kind if extraneous at best. Then again, maybe in some situations it'd be better than lockers, like deep sand for instance. It sounds like it might've been hindering you on the tough obstacle you mention in your first post, however.
So far ... My experience has been that lockers on difficult to extreme trails are better. They are better in sand but only because they keep ATRAC from activating. Anytime you might have one wheel up in the air - common on Toyota IFS rigs - lockers will put perform by a decent margin. However that just means getting through the obstacles smoother. Only about 15 or 20% of the extreme or hardcore obstacles that I have done require lockers where ATRAC just would not get the vehicle through.

However ... If the situation is slippery such as snow, small pebbles on a hard rock surface, ice ... but not mud ... ATRAC wins. There are just times where you need to have an actice differential. Because if the differential was locked you just going to lose traction because it's so scarce in these instances. So it's definitely good to have both ... ATRAC for when things are slippery or you're doing a mild trail. Lockers for when things get hairy. I would say most of us 100 series drivers are not doing crazy hairy stuff like the built-out Jeep guys or bronco guys are. But I'm a ex built out bronco guy so there is some desire to still take this heavy girl where she doesn't belong.

No I don't usually lock the front when it's off camber that much ... can cause the front to slide a bit. When slippery... as you know, ironically ... lockers cost you traction. Kind of a hard thing to convey isn't it? Knowing when to use them is key ... lockers suck on ice but great when doing the Toyota wave and one wheel is three feet off the ground.
Agree here. I’ve had a 3x locked 80 series and all locked up was not the best option in many situations in the South…. where dry rocky substrate doesn’t exit. Issues are usually slick wet dirt under a couple of wheels. Power and traction bouncing around from wheel to wheel seems to be best rather than dig four holes at the same time.

Have you got harrop e-lockers? is there any chance that you were rolling backwards slightly with a wheel in the air the locker will briefly unlock, which would allow differential wheel speeds, which may be enough to light up Atrac.

As you say, triple locked, you should have exactlyt he same rotational speed across all 4 wheels so atrac shouldn't be able to engage.

Would a faulty wheel speed sensor cause ATRAC to engage/light up?

IME when the axles are actually locked, ATRAC won't come on. Locked axles don't provide the circumstances that would trigger ATRAC.

I feel like what's most likely is your diffs were unlocking intermittently. I'm having a similar issue (still) with my rear e locker.

I've not heard of the contingencies you mentioned for ATRAC coming in (which gear, RPM limitations, etc) . I know it works in hi- range but couldn't tell you at what RPM. It definitely will operate over 3k RPM in low range.

I've done some pretty good hill climbs with ATRAC, it's a great system. But I'd really love to not see the light on my cluster when my locker rocker is engaged.

Last edited:
Have you got harrop e-lockers? is there any chance that you were rolling backwards slightly with a wheel in the air the locker will briefly unlock, which would allow differential wheel speeds, which may be enough to light up Atrac.

As you say, triple locked, you should have exactlyt he same rotational speed across all 4 wheels so atrac shouldn't be able to engage.
This was my guess. Don't those E-lockers from Eaton disengage if you get the load/rotation in the wrong combo? I thought that was one of their limitations. That would explain the situation explained here pretty well I think.

Does adding a front locker change the ring and pinion though? I’ve heard some accounts of the front R&P itself getting shockloaded, possibly made worse by ATRAC.

I also suspect Toyota may have tweaked the ATRAC system at some point to prevent this from happening, since most of the cases I’ve read about are on the 00-02 models.

Does adding a front locker change the ring and pinion though? I’ve heard some accounts of the front R&P itself getting shockloaded, possibly made worse by ATRAC.

I also suspect Toyota may have tweaked the ATRAC system at some point to prevent this from happening, since most of the cases I’ve read about are on the 00-02 models.
If you're regearing at the same time it'll all be new.

Fwiw mine is an 05.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom