Yes, this was me. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well look at it this way the Ford got stuck immediately. At least having a cruiser got you to the middle of the creek. Lmao I would so totally try that crossing. Air Down and give her hell next time.

If I do try it again, I'll bring a friend with a truck that has a winch...I do not need law enforcement involved again.

Nice! So you were stuck, not stalled? Looks like it would have been an easy pull if you had a friend behind you.

Priceless!!! I totally would have done the same thing! Except I would have drown rather than call the law haha.

Nice! So you were stuck, not stalled? Looks like it would have been an easy pull if you had a friend behind you.
Yes, stuck in the sand. By the time anyone was able to get to me, my anchor points were already submerged, it would have been a little too risky to attempt a tow at that point.

Priceless!!! I totally would have done the same thing! Except I would have drown rather than call the law haha.
Wasn't me who called. First person on the scene was my co-worked that I called...he showed up with a surfboard and a tether...didn't work.

Was the center diff actually locked? When did you shift into low, before you crossed or when you lost traction? How slow were going as a little momentum can go along way?

I would have gone out the sunroof. At least you didn't lock your keys inside!

Last edited:
Was the center diff actually locked? When did you shift into low, before you crossed or when you lost traction? How slow were going as a little momentum can go along way?

I was in 4L the whole way with the diff locked...I wasn't able to get much momentum because as you can see from some of the pictures there was a HUGE puddle in front of the actual crossing, which also had a nice sandy bottom.

The more I read mud, the more invincible I feel, and the more I get stuck.

This website is bad news.

I'm glad to see your 80 ended up better off than the Ford.

The more I read mud, the more invincible I feel, and the more I get stuck.

This website is bad news.

I'm glad to see your 80 ended up better off than the Ford.

Essentially: "Pssssh, I drive a LAND CRUISER I can make it through ANYTHING":lol:

Yikes! I've been embarrassingly and annoyingly stuck in snow twice in the last month. The nice thing is snow doesn't cause much water damage and locals have yanked me out both times. Humility begets recovery gear! Glad everything is okay, as far as we know.

Don't feel like the lone ranger here. I was caught in a flash flood while all alone on a 6400 acre deer lease in South Texas. Unfortunately, I was at the lowest point on the lease when it started and it was a gulley washer. The only way to higher ground was across the creek bottom. The water washed over my hood and floated my truck a couple of times. I JUST made it across with 2 fouled plugs. I had to drive 30 miles to Larado the next day with only 4 plugs firing to replace the fouled plugs. I think I was looking the grim reaper in the face that day and I remember the feeling well. Glad you are OK.

Don't feel like the lone ranger here. I was caught in a flash flood while all alone on a 6400 acre deer lease in South Texas. Unfortunately, I was at the lowest point on the lease when it started and it was a gulley washer. The only way to higher ground was across the creek bottom. The water washed over my hood and floated my truck a couple of times. I JUST made it across with 2 fouled plugs. I had to drive 30 miles to Larado the next day with only 4 plugs firing to replace the fouled plugs. I think I was looking the grim reaper in the face that day and I remember the feeling well. Glad you are OK.

Sounds like you HAD to...I didn't have to do this...I could have taken the 12 miles-out-of-my-way detour instead....*facepalm*

I used to live near this crossing, and during the rainy season, the other two available crossing were always closed off by the county, and this crossing was the only way into town. I remember my mom driving me to school one morning in her 1991 explorer, stock 4x4. She went through the exact crossing I got stuck in...water came up over the hood, she made it to the other side, and then the engine died...waited for the plugs to dry out, started it up 20 minutes later and I made it to school, albeit half an hour late. The fact that my mother has made it through that exact crossing in a bone stock 1st gen. explorer 4x4 is definitely extremely humbling...she is on her 5th explorer...I will never hear the end of it from her, especially since I've been calling her explorer an inferior vehicle ever since I took ownership of my 'cruiser a year and a half ago. Karma, I guess:D

Bunch of ticked off people remarking on the news site. Oh well.

I did find this one funny though...

Melissa81 said:
Just because you have some overgrown "hummer" or "suv" does not mean that it's immune to the laws of gravity, or that it somehow can cross a rushing river in pouring rain.

:bang: :lol:

Bunch of ticked off people remarking on the news site. Oh well.

I did find this one funny though...

:bang: :lol:

I live in San Luis Obispo county, which is predominantly conservative, so I've heard my fair share of "my tax dollars paid for this blah blah guns blah blah *insert typo* blah blah *insert wrong form of 'you're'* blah blah u r so dumb etc etc" It's funny how some people express themselves so poorly. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, doesn't bother me too much.

As someone who has had a flooded vehicle(not the LC), I would recommend pulling the carpet to let it dry. I pulled my carpet, hung it in the garage & sprayed front & back with Lysol. If you don't, you will likely never get rid of the smell.

Glad you're safe.
Good luck.

Paul

That river water is gonna have a bunch of muck in it too.
I would take out all of my carpet, spray it down with simple green or other cleaner, then pressure wash it. I did this to my nasty rear carpet and it removed all the stains and made it look and smell like new. I let it dry out in the sun for a day or two.

Just letting it "dry out" isn't gonna do anything for the smell, trust me. My dad owns an auto upholstery shop and they have done a lot of jobs like this. I'd also recommend replacing the rear insulation on the back of the carpet too if you have the means.

if the water is still there you should take another run at it.

It's laughing at you... You should try and cross it again while your interior is still wet and the damage is done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom