Yakima Lock n Load Roof Rack (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks, guys, definitely looking at the Rhino Rack, but I have a bunch of existing Yakima accessories for bikes, skis, etc. I think I can probably mount them in the "channel". Do you have any pictures of rack mounted on the 100 series?
You honestly can't go wrong with either. Rhino makes a great product and they have a nice attachment system to the vehicle with their Backbone mount in the ditch rail. It requires some drilling I believe but it is worth it and honestly you get a stronger attachment and if done properly it's a lifetime install (i.e. seal the holes well and use galvanized paint to finish off any drill points to prevent corrosion). As to using the Yakima accessories, take a look but I believe Rhino also offers adapters to solve that issue. I have successfully adapted a variety of rack mounts to fit on their system.

What width are your bars right here?

65" Vortex bars.

You honestly can't go wrong with either. Rhino makes a great product and they have a nice attachment system to the vehicle with their Backbone mount in the ditch rail. It requires some drilling I believe but it is worth it and honestly you get a stronger attachment and if done properly it's a lifetime install (i.e. seal the holes well and use galvanized paint to finish off any drill points to prevent corrosion). As to using the Yakima accessories, take a look but I believe Rhino also offers adapters to solve that issue. I have successfully adapted a variety of rack mounts to fit on their system.

No need for drilling with the RR systems. The only cutting required is for the black strip covering the slot running fore and aft on the top of the truck. That's easily removed though.

Like @alpinecowboy mentioned, almost anything can be adapted to fit the Rhino Rack platform or any slot style racks. Knowing what nuts are needed to fit in the slots is the key. Luckily, RR uses standard strut channel hardware. You just need to get creative with bolts and spacers.

So what is the best way to keep water out if you change roof racks or feet? Rubber or silicone washer? Lots of silicone? Both?

So what is the best way to keep water out if you change roof racks or feet? Rubber or silicone washer? Lots of silicone? Both?
Honestly, I like silicone. The "grommet" concept allows for a specified manufacturers part list, which is fine, but even when I used the grommets (only one install I've done this method tbh/btw), I still used a generous helping of silicone/rtv as a backup. One serious headliner leak on a rainy day is all it takes to learn the hard way and silicone, though neither beautiful or elegant, gets the job done.

Hey gang, I wanted to come back with some pics of the new Yakima / Toyota specific install for their Lock N Load platforms. This is from a tester I know who was part of their GX group. The pics give a good representation of the install and also have been tested and approved by the teams at both Toyota and Yakima, not to beat a dead horse...

I also got word that the two landing pad kits for this fit are now up for sale on the Yakima website or through your local dealer. If you have a 5th Gen 4Runner you would want Landing Pad 29 and if you have a GX460 you want Landing Pad 30. The web page for the LP30 doesn't seem to be up, but I'll check back on it. I also attached a PDF of the details from their dealer workbook page on these two little buddies.

For those of you with other Toyota/Lexus SUV's other than the Gen 5 T4R or the GX460 (such as the LX's, 80-series, sequoias, older T4R's etc) I have a request in with the fit team at Yakima to find out if these could be crossed over to fit on those models. Theoretically it seems possible, but they may not have tested those fits yet.

Ok. XOXO

gxlocknload1.jpeg

gxlocknload2.jpeg

gxlocknload3.jpeg

Attachments

• landingpad29_30.pdf
    609 KB · Views: 81
Hey brother, I appreciate you keeping us updated on the latest but could you help us out since this is a 100 specific thread what landing pads would be use for the LC 100 series & the Lexus LX470?

Hey brother, I appreciate you keeping us updated on the latest but could you help us out since this is a 100 specific thread what landing pads would be use for the LC 100 series & the Lexus LX470?
Totes amigo and sorry to pull in the other vehicles there. I'm waiting to hear back on that fit specifically. "Theoretically" or "allegedly" (for my fellow Letterkenny fans) the Landing Pad 29 would be able to do that. The factory rack on the 100-series is a four point mount and the 29 is designed to replace that and bolt up into those existing holes, very similarly to what you've seen on this thread from the RhinoRack equivalent. I shot a note to my buddy at Yakima who works on the fit team in Oregon and he said that they are going to try and get a test vehicle in their bay and do a fit on it soon. I can't imagine why it wouldn't work, but don't want to speak out of school on it as I'm not an engineer. As soon as I get it confirmed I'll update the thread.

Totes amigo and sorry to pull in the other vehicles there. I'm waiting to hear back on that fit specifically. "Theoretically" or "allegedly" (for my fellow Letterkenny fans) the Landing Pad 29 would be able to do that. The factory rack on the 100-series is a four point mount and the 29 is designed to replace that and bolt up into those existing holes, very similarly to what you've seen on this thread from the RhinoRack equivalent. I shot a note to my buddy at Yakima who works on the fit team in Oregon and he said that they are going to try and get a test vehicle in their bay and do a fit on it soon. I can't imagine why it wouldn't work, but don't want to speak out of school on it as I'm not an engineer. As soon as I get it confirmed I'll update the thread.

I appreciate the quick response, just let your buddy in Oregon know the factory 100 series rack is a 6 feet mount on the early years with the very front mount having a narrower set of bolt holes however the Lexus model vehicles only ever used four sets of feet and the distance between those bolt holes is the same.

This little diagram has been floating around (not mine) a while and could come in handy, the later years of the 100 series indeed used four feet but underneath the molding both the 100 series and the LX 470 have four sets of mounting holes per side the front most set near the sunroof glass is narrower. The bolts in the very center technically the middle set has three bolts and not just two.

BCD5EAF9-3EB4-455E-A2E3-119A9A07CBD6.png

I appreciate the quick response, just let your buddy in Oregon know the factory 100 series rack is a 6 feet mount on the early years with the very front mount having a narrower set of bolt holes however the Lexus model vehicles only ever used four sets of feet and the distance between those bolt holes is the same.
That's stellar info! Thank you for that and for the chart. I've got to think that would come in super handy and I just passed it along now. You rock!

That's stellar info! Thank you for that and for the chart. I've got to think that would come in super handy and I just passed it along now. You rock!
Bump for an update @alpinecowboy
Totally. I am waiting for info myself and shot a note to my buddy in fit testing at Yakima on Friday to see if there was an update. Any of you guys in the Portland, OR area by the way? Push comes to shove they may want to get a test vehicle to do a fit on and I could suggest one of you if you are close. They are in Lake Oswego just south of PDX. I've got a slew of buddies in my area with 100's but I'm in Texas so it's too far... No promises but sometimes that is a quick way to get a fit confirmed and/or potentially get a rack for yourself in the process for being a lab rat.

Totally. I am waiting for info myself and shot a note to my buddy in fit testing at Yakima on Friday to see if there was an update. Any of you guys in the Portland, OR area by the way? Push comes to shove they may want to get a test vehicle to do a fit on and I could suggest one of you if you are close. They are in Lake Oswego just south of PDX. I've got a slew of buddies in my area with 100's but I'm in Texas so it's too far... No promises but sometimes that is a quick way to get a fit confirmed and/or potentially get a rack for yourself in the process for being a lab rat.
Thanks alpinecowboy. Here in Dallas and add me to the list of people wanting to fixed point mount skyline towers to 2007 LC but needing landing pads that will fit. Any news from Yakima? I called them today and the guy wasn’t sure…

I'm hoping Yakima does us one better, and comes out with the "RuggedLine" for the LC 100. LockNLoad RuggedLine® | Yakima - https://www.yakima.co.nz/ruggedline

Looks similar to the Rhino Backbone.
Yeah man.... I've been harping my bros on that hard.... That is a sweet system. Honestly just getting that along with the GX/Prado fit would go a long way to stitching this up - especially since the fits are already tested and established for the rest of the stable. Adding the 100 series to that would be clutch! Good on ya for digging that one off the AU site... the Aussies make some sweet stuff - the cool thing about their market is that consumers aren't at all averse to having an installer do a drill based install... Folks on our side of the pond get squeamish when they see someone hover a drill bit over sheet metal! Ha!

Hey guys,

I have been hitting up a bunch of different threads and finally pulled the trigger on a tip by @87warrior and got the Lock n Load | Yakima roof rack.

Apparently Yakima/Thule don't sell fixed point racks for the 100 Series in the US, and I needed to get bars rather than a platform rack, so Rhino Rack was the only available option. Didn't love how the Rhino kit looked up close, and I have Yakima accessories and like their stuff, so I wanted to go with these. If you're in the same boat, hope you find this useful.

This kit sells in Australia and New Zealand only. Not all of their online sites offer shipping to the US, but this site said they would do it: roofrack.com.au. Total cost was around $620, including expedited shipping, it got here in 3 days.

There was a random glitch - the kit they sent me was packaged incorrectly at the factory. There are supposed to be 6 unique pieces in the kit, but the one they sent me had two front adapters, and was missing a middle one. First time in 20+ years of modding cars that something like this happened. Maybe some Australian dude had too much Fosters the night before and packaged the kit wrong. I wrote an email to the vendor and to Yakima Australia's help line. Yakima Australia ended up taking care of it, the support guy I was emailing with went to a shop down the street, grabbed the right part, and drop shipped it to me. Dude went above and beyond and helped me sort stuff out when the package was stuck in customs. All he asked for in return was to take a picture of the truck with the rack in front of some famous US landmark. Pretty good way to promote customer loyalty if you ask me :beer:

Once I had the right part, the install was quick thanks to the many threads on this site - you guys rock! Factory rack removal was a breeze with all the instructions on here. This kit is three bars across, bolts into the B, C and D mount points, and produces a level plane across the three bars so can use for RTT, etc. There is also a platform option that attaches to the same feet. The feet/adapters bolt into the roof mounting points and the bars attached to these. My factory rack was mounted to A,C,D mounting points, so I had to cover up the A mount with the P/N (75557-60010) cover, and cut out a new hole in the gutter cover with a Dremel tool (spent a lot of cut off wheels cutting this out).

The kit comes with foam pads that stick onto the bottoms of the adapter feet to keep the water out. I still dabbed silicone into all of the mount holes for extra insurance to prevent leaks. Overall looks good and super well made, like all other Yakima stuff. Bonus part, the ends of the bars have bottle openers in them. Seriously. I didn't take any pics that show these, but will take some tomorrow.

Special thanks to @ga89hoss @geanes @azzaLX for answering a bunch of my n00b questions :grinpimp:

Here are some pics.

View attachment 1485308

View attachment 1485309

View attachment 1485310

View attachment 1485311

Reviving an old thread. This is a great setup. I am interested in these bars + Gamviti brackets. Specifically these bars because they are 59in vs other brands are 54in. And specifically Gamviti brackets because they are full metal. Seems like the best of both worlds. Has anyone else done this? How did you attach? Any other alternatives?

Reviving an old thread. This is a great setup. I am interested in these bars + Gamviti brackets. Specifically these bars because they are 59in vs other brands are 54in. And specifically Gamviti brackets because they are full metal. Seems like the best of both worlds. Has anyone else done this? How did you attach? Any other alternatives?
My yakima bars came with their own proprietary mounts that attach to the factory holes in the roof.

Well I did what I said I wanted to do and I couldn't be happier. Gamiviti brackets with Yakima HD 60in bars. Perfect.

PXL_20230709_232614726.jpg

PXL_20230709_232534243.jpg

I will add to my post by sharing my results with noise control. The racks were very loud out of the gate.

Firstly, I drove the car up to 75mph and took my time to get there so I could pick up what was happening at what speed. For me, I picked up a low tone pulsing sound from the racks at 35mph. This continued all the way up to 75mph.

I first wrapped 1/4" cord 6x around the front bar. This helped a bit, but the sound was still there. I then wrap it 6x more times...FIXED!

Though once the pulse sound went away I picked up a whistling sound from 30-45mph only. This was solved by installing Yakima HD crossbars rubber strip on the bottom of the bars...FIXED!

Hope this helps anyone that wants to install these!

awesome custom solution - great work! especially love the fix for the noise - what gave you the idea that wrapping the cord like that would silence the noise?

I have run into an issue with the Yakima rack and I am hoping someone can shed some light:

@alpinecowboy
@digitalmarker

I see these hoops mentioned in the roof rack instructions- I don't see them in my kit or on my truck. Am I missing something?

IMG_1445.jpg

IMG_1447.JPG

s-l500.jpg

I am thinking they are 63452b and 63453b.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom