Xmas party HamomI (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alk747triodad

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey guys,

I would really appreciate help on a few items on Logan's 80. I will take any advice on what I need or what you have that will help me get this completed. If only the first item is completed, i will be extremely grateful.

1. Remove and install bumper. Al gave me a rear bumper a couple years ago and i had it powdercoated. It has been sitting in my storage trailer ever since. I have no clue how to remove the old and install the new so any advice on what tools or parts are needed will be appreciated. Here is a pic of what needs removed. Ignore the rust

IMG_0101.JPG
IMG_0098.JPG
IMG_0099.JPG

Pic of "new" bumper. Is there a bracket I need to purchase that welds on to bumper and then bolts on frame?
Also, when I had powdercoated, I was trying to match the color of the truck....and failed miserably. Can I just rattle can over the powdercoat in black? I want it to match the front bumper and would like to know what paint I should use; rustolean flat black?

IMG_0095.JPG
IMG_0096.JPG

^^ this pic shows where the bumper was attached to the frame.

Due to my 5 pic limit, my lack of patience in uploading, and my need to go to bed, the other items are:

2. Replace rear lift gate latch. Onur made me think it is NOT a simple task. Or maybe he was implying my mechanical skills are lacking. :doh:

3. Replace some interior door panels.

Thanks and let me know what I need to do to make this happen. :cheers:

Got the lift gate latch in the center console of Moonshine bro.

Have any pics of how that bumper was attached to the truck it came off of? Looks like it's totally custom and like it was cut off of the truck it came off of. I can bring a battery powered welder that would be plenty for this job, but we need a better idea of how it will attach to the frame.

I would prefer to Weld a bracket on the bumper and then bolt it to the frame rather than weld this bumper directly to the frame. More pics needed!

IMG_0011.JPG
Only other pic is where was welded on other side. I was thinking Al mentioned I can get 2 adapters from some company but not sure who. Yeti? Thanks for picking up my latch JC.

I would prefer to Weld a bracket on the bumper and then bolt it to the frame rather than weld this bumper directly to the frame. More pics needed!

I agree.

It would be ideal if the brackets could make use of the capture nuts on the top, bottom, and side of the frame rails.

It would also be nice to have a hot enough welder to clean up :eek: and increase the weld radius on those side wings and perhaps even add some gussets to the bottom corners.

Last edited:
Have any pics of how that bumper was attached to the truck it came off of? Looks like it's totally custom and like it was cut off of the truck it came off of. I can bring a battery powered welder that would be plenty for this job, but we need a better idea of how it will attach to the frame.

no pics of how it was mounted but the rear cross member was cut off and the bumper welded on. It was a terrible way to do it but I never met the owner of the truck. Patrick bought it to take a few parts off of it. Jerry got his 3f stuff for the 2FE that eventually made it into Ramon's rig. I pulled a fender and cut the rear bumper off of the truck.

Plan was always to cut my rear cross member off and fab up brackets like Lukes to attach to the truck. In the end I never got around to it and decided to give the bumper to Kenny to help with Logan's build. :cheers:

Ok, so suffice it to say that we aren't going to be able to mount this bumper at the HAMOM at the barn then. I would not be comfortable cutting out the crossmember and doing a ton of mission-critical welding at the barn with my Ready Welder without the support of my other metalworking tools.

If I had the bumper and truck in front of me, I could plan something out and cut out the material we'd need, but it doesn't sound like something we can just glue on at the barn and call it good.

I can bring all to the barn and we can make a plan of attack. We can postpone until M&G, sounds like we might be busy with firewood anyway. :D

no pics of how it was mounted but the rear cross member was cut off and the bumper welded on. It was a terrible way to do it but I never met the owner of the truck. Patrick bought it to take a few parts off of it. Jerry got his 3f stuff for the 2FE that eventually made it into Ramon's rig. I pulled a fender and cut the rear bumper off of the truck.

Plan was always to cut my rear cross member off and fab up brackets like Lukes to attach to the truck. In the end I never got around to it and decided to give the bumper to Kenny to help with Logan's build. :cheers:

Great story Al! I'm so glad you shared.

I can bring all to the barn and we can make a plan of attack. We can postpone until M&G, sounds like we might be busy with firewood anyway. :D

Bring it all to the barn and we'll at least make a plan, that's a good idea. We can draw up brackets and I can cut them out of material I've got at the house for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom