Would I be able to fit a hardtop on a soft top model? Also, does anyone make aftermarket hard tops? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes. The tubs are the same.

There are aftermarket hardtops, but you’re far better off just finding a stock one.

Place an ad on Craigslist for ‘FJ40 hard top wanted’ in your town or neatest big city, put a couple good photos of hard tops sitting on the ground so people know what they look like.
I was able to find one that way in less than a week. I bought a hard top and doors a month ago for $400 from some guy’s side yard. They’re out there.

Place an ad on Craigslist for ‘FJ40 hard top wanted’ in your town or neatest big city, put a couple good photos of hard tops sitting on the ground so people know what they look like.
I was able to find one that way in less than a week. I bought a hard top and doors a month ago for $400 from some guy’s side yard. They’re out there.
Oh man, I didn’t know those worked. I’ll try that if I end up getting the truck I’m thinking of.

Just make sure you don't get scammed and pay good money for rotted out parts. There are people who ask thousands for rotted out 40 tops:lol:

Keep in mind that many years of hardtops will fit. As posted in the thread in my signature line... I’ve got an ‘81 hardtop on my 74. Don’t get my wrong there are some minor modifications to make them work... but 69-84 tops can be made to fit.

I’d search till you find one with little rust. Repair isn’t hard, but a lot of rust is never good.

yes, with stock roll bar.

And plz take the soft top construction of before you put the hard top on

Is it a factory soft top (FST) Fj40? Or is it an aftermarket top on a hardtop model?

the reason I’masking is that a decent factory top is worth a big chunk of change. New a Best-top is $500 (vs $3000).

For a decent FST top with all the hardware I’d trade my hardtop... and I gave away my Best-Top for free. And that’s even though I don’t really like soft tops and it rains here too much to use one.

1EDF5C9B-8B6D-4CDF-8AFD-512642DB226D.jpeg
9CDB2FC5-D99E-45FC-888A-89F21E2FFDB7.jpeg
image.jpeg

Vs
7D031078-7273-4D41-A540-C5CA20E465B1.jpeg

The upper are factory soft tops. The green truck has a Bestop top.

Determining if the 40 was a factory soft top model is a bit trickier. Footman loops on the rear tailgate and 1/4 panels, lift away hinges on the front doors, eye hooks on the dash, and a Vader light on the dash are some of the ways to ID a factory soft top Fj40

If it has an L on factory vin plate then it is a factory soft top. Not sure on all years but this '68 has the L on the plate after the Vin. And in some factory brochures, it has the model letters listed.

IMG_5683.JPG

IMG_5684.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom