Builds Work In Progress aka: Badass (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

damn felicity, way to get after $h!t. those gardens should look good when they're filled in 👍
20lb sledge head as an anvil is better than nothing. hey @Railwelder93 , how 'bout hookin' this budding metalsmith up with a short length of train track. i'm sure it wouldn't be long before it was shaped into anvil

damn felicity, way to get after $h!t. those gardens should look good when they're filled in 👍
20lb sledge head as an anvil is better than nothing. hey @Railwelder93 , how 'bout hookin' this budding metalsmith up with a short length of train track. i'm sure it wouldn't be long before it was shaped into anvil
I actually have a small one of Jason’s but you know how that works... it wasn’t a gift. Not sure how long that will last. My process of getting my coal forge built is taking time... lots of other things ahead.

image.jpg

In time for the rain. And thankfully my little stihl was willing to start! Few more details and it’ll be complete.

CCCF20F4-3592-4FEC-8188-2D35258989EE.jpeg

361BF628-7699-40F5-9AFC-3DAEF6132FC4.jpeg

F96546F2-521F-457E-BE78-6B8F6497CE8C.jpeg

B3E9440F-AED6-4F5A-88B6-7555D3695409.jpeg

FB37300C-9567-46B4-9216-32B78E5EDBD6.jpeg

I used to make anvils all the time, my dad has a few of them still. Easy to cut it out into a perfect anvil shape with a torch. New head hardened rail is best if you can find it. Rail has a bit of manganese, so new rail is softish and old rail will be hard as hell on the head and chip easier.

If you want a rail butt bad enough to drive up to the west side of Boston. I do have a bunch laying around.
It’s possible, that’s a close 1.5 to 2 hour drive maybe. I’ll keep it in mind. Thank you.

Picked up a package ‘o bees in the 60.

2DE703C5-104C-4518-A292-80058884E658.jpeg

1BB075A4-C120-49C4-9578-522D6DF37A6C.jpeg

That Bronco was at the apiary I picked my bees up at in Sterling, CT... a beauty. Well loved!

1BCE1DFC-0669-41D9-A076-B61B80B7D07A.jpeg

Last edited:
The bee bus is a little bit terrifying. Not gonna lie.
No kidding. Every time we stopped driving all I could hear was their super loud buzz. And after we picked up the bees we stopped for a used chest freezer. I wasn’t gonna say a word to the sellers but flaked to tell Jason not to say a word... we arrive and his first words were ‘I hope neither of you are allergic to bees!’ Ugh! Luckily they were cool. Bees were contained. The few that were loose must have gotten out of the truck cuz they never bothered us while driving. Generally loose bees just stay attached to the box to be a part of the “swarm.” Wish I’d taken a pic of the big white box and the little white box in the back of the truck. It was comical.

Felicity, my wife just got her first bees over the weekend. Photo and a short report here:

Building a new house and shop - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/building-a-new-house-and-shop.957253/page-25#post-13822093
Nice!!!❤️❤️ Let her know that nitrile gloves are way easier dexterity wise (and when sticky can be washed w/ dish soap to reuse) for inspections. Not sure what your temps are there but I just use a thin jacket w/ veil I bought for $20 off Wish (comes w/ a brush, hive tool and generic sized leather and canvas gloves, I bought two sets). So much nicer than the full ventilated suit I bought. This is a pic of Sal in one of the two last summer totally unenthused but allowed me to get a photo.

7F149DF0-9099-450F-9C58-9CA70907012E.jpeg

When I was about his age, I was hitting a baseball around the backyard by myself. The ball eventually landed in the neighbor’s backyard. When I bent over to pick it up I heard and felt the ground rumble. Then a swarm of yellow jackets came rushing out of the ground. I ran as fast as I could stripping down to my bare ass in front of my sisters and her friends. I got stung about 40-50 times. Yellow jackets are way different than bees, I know, but hearing swarms gives me serious heebiejeebies.

When I was about his age, I was hitting a baseball around the backyard by myself. The ball eventually landed in the neighbor’s backyard. When I bent over to pick it up I heard and felt the ground rumble. Then a swarm of yellow jackets came rushing out of the ground. I ran as fast as I could stripping down to my bare ass in front of my sisters and her friends. I got stung about 40-50 times. Yellow jackets are way different than bees, I know, but hearing swarms gives me serious heebiejeebies.
That's an experience! Usually, just one will nail you right on the face and that's enough.
I was struck by lightning once, it wasn't as bad as your experience.

That's an experience! Usually, just one will nail you right on the face and that's enough.
I was struck by lightning once, it wasn't as bad as your experience.
Getting stung on the pinky by a Japanese hornet was the worst by far. I had two thumbs on one hand for a couple days.

I watched someone get struck by lightning in highschool. He was standing near the flag pole in a puddle. It arched from the pole over the walkway to the puddle and zapped him. He got up and walked away. Not so much for the electrician I watched lay a ladder against a metal I beam that had become grounded by accident. As soon as the ladder hit the metal he froze stiff. Scary day.

Getting stung on the pinky by a Japanese hornet was the worst by far. I had two thumbs on one hand for a couple days.

I watched someone get struck by lightning in highschool. He was standing near the flag pole in a puddle. It arched from the pole over the walkway to the puddle and zapped him. He got up and walked away. Not so much for the electrician I watched lay a ladder against a metal I beam that had become grounded by accident. As soon as the ladder hit the metal he froze stiff. Scary day.
Yeesh. I recently started watching Ozark. The boat to dock scene was icky.
I responded poorly to you Chris on that incident you watched... that would be awful and I’ve definitely seen some awful stuff here at work. I’m sorry you had to witness something so intense. Huge lesson tho.

Last edited:
Done squat except check her oil and drive her every few days. Need to get that issue done cuz it’s weighing on me badly. Leak from behind the front plate.
One step closer... just got the tent back. Next, get stuff moved around so I’ll have space for her parts as I lift engine and take the cam out... again.
Too many projects on my own “honey do” list.
At least my bees are fairly self sufficient. Queen Flower hasn’t made the grade so her colony has built a supersedure cell and will probably do her in once the new queen emerges.

085F8783-A592-4D1F-BAA2-22620CEF9F29.jpeg

392376DB-240C-4071-9CBA-1D671F4CF2B4.jpeg

Felt funny pulling the truck out from under the tent this AM on the way to work... seems like it was the first. I suppose I pulled her in and under it a few seasons ago when I started all that engine tear down but it’s hard to recall.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom