Wits' End 1FZ Head Gasket Poster (1 Viewer)

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Supporting Vendor

I like the one without the torque figures best. Not cluttered looking. Anyone needing torque figures can just print them off and keep the sheet handy. Otherwise...I like the idea very much, good job.
What great work by Wits End, of project to remember. Would certainly entertain one for our 80. Nice to see the other posters by Wits End in the shop, Onur.
Input If possible smaller font on torque spec #. Other wise wonderful work, Red and Black my favorite color scheme.
why de-emphasize the torque specs? Don’t see a need for them? 🤔

flintknapper

SILVER Star

why de-emphasize the torque specs? Don’t see a need for them? 🤔
No....I believe toque specs are 'needed' and should be used....I just don't think they belong on the poster. The non-torque spec version is SO clean looking and has about ALL the information that can reasonably be placed on it. With the torque specs added it detracts from that and in some areas obscures the part. It is just my 'opinion' but seems a simple thing for anyone to print out or look up their own specs.

I 'get it' that its supposed to make the work process more 'convenient' but unless the poster is utilized in a shop how often will torque specs be of benefit? Alternately....maybe the specs could be made smaller and instead of using a circle to identify the part....a thin line off to the side might make it all more pleasing. IDK....again, just my opinion.

It's a great poster whatever you decide on.

jaymar

SILVER Star

Cool!

Did I miss valve cover and head bolt torque specs?
Valve cover “appears” to be 9 ft-lb, per @cruiserdan and @BILT4ME research... Many say just stop when the VC nubs touch the head. Proceed with caution.

Last edited:

I vote for TQ specs. Having done a couple of heads now, having an easy reference for the major components would be very helpful and appreciated, plus then I won't have to dig through my notes as much.

FWIW I wouldn't put a spec on the valve cover. The best luck I've had is to use the same tightening pattern as the head bolts and make 3 passes to snug.

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Supporting Vendor

Ok, I made the torque specs smaller and moved all of the red circles (also smaller) BEHIND the images and text so as not to obscure the images. I also added the head bolt and spec. Please feel free to scrutinize before these go to print tomorrow.

Engine-Gasket-kit-102520.jpg

flintknapper

SILVER Star

Near perfect.

Maybe put a small 'legend' up top (red circle with the words 'Torque Specs') so that persons unfamiliar with what the circles/numbers represent would know what they are. WE all know what they mean....of course.

Me likey, good job.

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Supporting Vendor

What's the 29* ?
I also see, what appears to be, 3D modeling software axis markings on the head bolt. I'm sure the 29 is the torque value, but unsure why there is an asterisk.
first run of torqueing you do all at 29ft lb.
Then you go back across all of them a quarter turn (90°). Then you do them all again the third time for another quarter turn (90°) before head bolts are complete.

first run of torqueing you do all at 29ft lb.
Then you go back across all of them a quarter turn (90°). Then you do them all again the third time for another quarter turn (90°) before head bolts are complete.
Ha! Very clever way of making that process a visual one. 👍

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom