Wiring Ignitor Distributor on 77 FJ40?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have searched for the post that explains the wiring of the new Electronic set-up but can't find it. I have the distributor frrom an 87 FJ60 w/ ignitor. I know someone had a step by step rewiring sequence.

Thanks in advance :cheers:

John

wire it up just like the set up thats in there now. There might be one wire that is needed to be left off..........sorry can't remember what is is though, think its the one from the starter to the coil to give it full voltage at start up, not needed with the new dizzy/coil

I did a post a year or so ago when I added the fj60 dizzy to my 77 2f

Landpimp,

I did multiple searches using "Landpimp" and still can't find it. I don't want to screw anything up.

Thanks,

John

I can't find it either, I thought it was in thew FAQ.......but the FAQ seems to be missing?

QUOTE=JJB77FJ40]Landpimp,

I did multiple searches using "Landpimp" and still can't find it. I don't want to screw anything up.

Thanks,

John[/QUOTE]

I have the same swap on my 76, I will try to dig up a picture for you, so you can have something to go off of.

Rezarf <><

Thanks FJ40Matt! The link worked. I printed it out and will give it a shot. :cheers:

Rezarf,

Those pictures would be great. :)

Thanks in advance.

Here is the wiring on my 87 FJ60 Ignitor.

1.) From Ignitor =Red wire and white wires go to Green plug > plugs to green receptor on Dizzy :grinpimp:

2.) From Ignitor =Short Black wire with ring connector - To neg. coil (80% sure) :rolleyes:

3.) From Ignitor =Tan wire to ring connector. - To +Pos of coil (80% sure) :rolleyes: ...Attached to the same ring is another Tan wire goes to Green plug > plugs to green receptor connected to Black wire w/yellow stripe (To ignition switch???). Spliced (looks factory) into the Blk/Yell is a thinner Black wire w/yellow stripe that connects to a green plug > plugs to green receptor connected to an Aqua Blue wire that is molded into a small black resistor thingy molded around a C type copper conector (to bolt to fender???). Out of Black thingy is another Black wire to a white plug > plugs to a white receptor connected to Black wire w/ a bigger copper ring connector ????

4.) From Ignitor = Yellow wire to a green plug > plugs to green receptor connected to a Black wire.

Where do they all connect?????

I read what was offered but these other wires are not mentioned (in detail). I continued to search under "Ignitor", "Dizzy", "Lanpimp Distributor" etc. and can't find the Landpimp detail.

Thanks again.

John

Those pictures should help if they contain all the wires.

I am confused, the ignitor and coil are pigybacked and the wires should already go from the ignitor to the coil. .........unless someone took it all apart?

all that I had to do on mine was hook up the wire from the igniton to the larger of the green plugs on the ignitor(smaller is used for a tach).........then plug the green conectors together that goes to the dizzy.

from the ignitor, single black wire to the NEG post on the coil. Tan wire to the POS, that is also the one that is spliced.........it goes then to the dizzu(green plug)

Landpimp said:
I am confused, the ignitor and coil are pigybacked and the wires should already go from the ignitor to the coil. .........unless someone took it all apart?

I took it apart to replace the coil but I believe those connections are correct .

"Tan wire to the POS, that is also the one that is spliced.........it goes then to the dizzu(green plug)." I believe this wire should go to the ignition??? (#3 wire in post). The red and white wires plug to the Distributor (that I know = Plugs mate).

It's that multi spliced resistor thingy w/ added wires that has me perplexed.

I believe the yellow is the Tach wire. "smaller is used for a tach".

Thanks again,

John

ah.........the restistor thingy might be the conndenser for the radio, does it look like a condenser for a dizzy points set up?

JJB77FJ40 said:
Landpimp said:

I took it apart to replace the coil but I believe those connections are correct .

"Tan wire to the POS, that is also the one that is spliced.........it goes then to the dizzu(green plug)." I believe this wire should go to the ignition??? (#3 wire in post). The red and white wires plug to the Distributor (that I know = Plugs mate).

It's that multi spliced resistor thingy w/ added wires that has me perplexed.

I believe the yellow is the Tach wire. "smaller is used for a tach".

Thanks again,

John

Landpimp said:
ah.........the restistor thingy might be the conndenser for the radio, does it look like a condenser for a dizzy points set up?

I'm no expert but aren't the condensers silver cylinders? This resistor thingy is approx. .75" square x .5" thick. It seems like it could dissipate some of the charge coming from the ignition switch. I bolted it to the fender and am crossing my fingers.

It seems the wiring should be close but I would prefer greater clarification :doh:

I don't like crossing my fingers with electricity and equipment sensitive to it.

Thanks agin,

John

yeah that doesnt sound like it.........and I havn't seen that on any of my fj60 set ups.............well lets say I cant' recall seeing it.

JJB77FJ40 said:
Landpimp said:

I'm no expert but aren't the condensers silver cylinders? This resistor thingy is approx. .75" square x .5" thick. It seems like it could dissipate some of the charge coming from the ignition switch. I bolted it to the fender and am crossing my fingers.

It seems the wiring should be close but I would prefer greater clarification :doh:

I don't like crossing my fingers with electricity and equipment sensitive to it.

Thanks agin,

John

Thanks guys.

I'll post a picture of the set-up..............or the damage from the fire.

It's amazing how many different combinations there are of seemingly the same vehicle. I guess most vehicles are like this once you get to know them.

Thanks again, :cheers:

John

JJB77FJ40 said:
I have searched for the post that explains the wiring of the new Electronic set-up but can't find it. I have the distributor frrom an 87 FJ60 w/ ignitor. I know someone had a step by step rewiring sequence.

Thanks in advance :cheers:

John

I'm running this setup in my '77 FJ40, 'cept the ignitor/distributor is from an '85 FJ60. As I recall the only wiring that needed to be done was to connect the black/yellow wire from the '77's harness to the blue (or maybe faded green) wire on the '85's coil.

I went and looked........mine on the fj60 is just like that.........so I remembered right...........just not what it looked like ;)

FJ40Jim said:
Pimp's right, the black square thing is a noise suppressor. Discard or bolt to a ground point, doesn't seem to matter.

It worked, I started up my first rebuilt engine with the new distributor! I can't believe it started. I grounded the noise suppressor and everything seems to be fine.

Thanks for all the help.

John

John;
This stuff is hard to hook up on a text only basis, isn't it? WTF is a "black square thing"? We really need some nifty schematics to look at...
dfm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom