Wiring Ignitor Distributor on 77 FJ40?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dfmorse said:
John;
This stuff is hard to hook up on a text only basis, isn't it? WTF is a "black square thing"?
Yes.

The "BST" is a noise suppressor connected to the ignitor, body and IIRC the alternator. It's found on ~81-90 trucks. Earlier models use a more conventional looking cylindrical capacitor.

Your 79 and 94 definitely do not have a BST. :crybaby:

Here goes. I attached 3 pictures and will attempt to upload an Excel file( but I don't think this site allows it) that contains the pictures with some details. Also see above details of wires.

From Ignitor.

1.) Red & White wire to plug on Distributor.
2.) Black to Neg on coil.
3.) Tan to positive on coil. at the coil the Tan wire is joined with another Tan wire which needs to be connected to the Ignition wire.
4.) The yellow is expected to be the Tachometer but is currently hanging taped off, with no issues.

Hope this makes sense and helps.

John

Try again
100_2723 (Custom).JPG
100_2724 (Custom).JPG
100_2725 (Custom).JPG

oringaly the coil and ignitor were mounted like this
38346775.jpg

there is a bracket that hold the 2 together

Mr. Pimp,

Mine was all hooked up too but I took it apart and I would have hooked it back up but the wire to the Distributor was too short from the std. coil mount.

I see you have the dual battery. Do people go with two when they run a winch?or what pushes them over the limit of one Batree.

Wher did you get the French "Lave Glace". I need me one of them.

Thanks for all your help.

John

I understand.

So have you had a chance to take it out for a drive with the new dizzy?

Yes, I did dual for the winch as well I just like the backup of a 2nd battery.

you had me baffeled with the Lave Glace.............but I see now, it came that why from the factory.

JJB77FJ40 said:
Mr. Pimp,

Mine was all hooked up too but I took it apart and I would have hooked it back up but the wire to the Distributor was too short from the std. coil mount.

I see you have the dual battery. Do people go with two when they run a winch?or what pushes them over the limit of one Batree.

Wher did you get the French "Lave Glace". I need me one of them.

Thanks for all your help.

John

check your mileage

I just went through the same distributor conversion on my 1976 FJ40. The mileage went from 10-11 to 15-16mpg. The rig also has a Jim C. carb rebuild with lean jets for high elevation. I suspect you will have a pleasant surprize.

I haven't taken it for a spin . It's not registered and now I have to tackle some wiring gremlins. The gauges don't work so my brother inlaw was checking it out and fond the PO wired the alternator incorrectly and the white w/blue stripe wire to the amp meter was cut with the two White w/blue stripe wires,coming from the fuse box,, spliced together and attached to the ignition switch. We cut the splice and wired one of the wht/blue to the amp meter but still no worky. None of the other gauges work either so don't want to run the engine too long with out knowing water temp and oil pressure.

dfm,

You had me w/odyssey because both of us are Johns.

JJB

John; I mean the batterys; are they PC925's in the stock battery mount?
dfm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom