Wiper linkage bushing failure (2003/175k) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
image.jpg
cant believe I'm about to say this, but at almost 175k miles, my hundy had her first failure.

Wiper bushing that connects to the arm for the motor failed. Onur is looking into parts, but will be posting back up with the solution since there isn't much for it yet on here. Looks like it will need the entire linkage, maybe one to add to the spare parts list since it's a show stopper with a tropical storm on the way.

Replacement is pretty straight forward, but since there aren't many in the U.S. They may be hard to come by. Luckily my local dealer could source one overnight from the local depot at $235.

You'll want to first take off the weather stripping and t-clips that hold the black abs panels above the firewall. USE CARE! You need to coax the weather stripping off each one, and then use needle nose to punch and pull out. when done, put them back in the weather stripping.
image.jpg

Unbolt the wipers. You need to fully extend and release tension to get them off - again be careful so you don't strip the splines inside. Then work to unbolt the linkage from the body where it mounts (10mm socket, with extension for clearance over hood)

image.jpg

Unplug and unbolt the wiper assembly - 4 bolts at 10mm. If you have a dual battery, you'll need to disconnect the cable nearest the fire wall for clearance.

Install new linkage starting with wiper mounts. Don't put the wiper arms back on yet. You'll need to jockey the linkage to extend the arm to the motor.

The end of the linkage that connects to the motor has a clip to attach to the firewall. Hang it there to apply pressure when mounting the wiper motor. It will pop in.
image.jpg

Fully extended, the wipers will be straight up. If you suffer a failure and want to try to reconnect, you should move your wipers there first.

Remount the wiper motor, plug in, and reinstall the plastic panels, followed by the weatherstripping, and lastly the wiper arms at the down position.

Pretty easy - about 45 mins all in. Just don't forget to remove any tools before closing the hood and breaking your less than week old windshield like i did.

Here is a picture I the failed component. Dorman makes linkage bushings, not sure of the part # though. Will try to take measurements and post back up at a later date.
image.jpg

Nice write up - sometimes I wonder how much longer the ones on my rig will last and I'm sure this will come in handy at some point.

Does anyone know if an aftermarket bushing will work? My linkage seems fine except the bushing. I know there are some generic sizes that may work. Does anyone have the entire part number for the linkage? I saw 85160 listed on a diagram, but I when I search there a number of parts that include that as well a dash and 5 additional digits. Thanks

$235 for wiper bushings???

What symptoms were you experiencing that made you change the bushings? My wipers are loud and I am wondering if this could be the culprit.

I tried some generic bushings and was not able to get a match. It does seem odd that you can't replace just the bushing.

Before the failure (the windshield wipers just stopped working) there was a clunk/play in the movement.

Someone with 3d printing skills could prob make this happen- its a basic nylon bushing.

Been a while since this thread was active. Has anyone found a bushing that works? Seems ridiculous to spend $200 on the linkage when a $2 bushing is all that's needed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom