Windshield squirter system keeps clogging (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 7/78 FJ40 I have owned since 1990. The windshield squirter head is mounted to the windshield frame (stock location). It has clogged repeatedly over the years, and the last time I blew out the steel (or copper?) line inside the WS frame, all sorts of goobers (sludge) came out. I rarely use the squirters, but each time I do, they seem to be clogged again. I keep alcohol-type fluid in the squirter reservoir and it's fresh.

Is the real solution to fish a plastic line (somehow) through the WS frame to replace the factory hose? Is the factory hose inside the frame made of (now rusty) steel?

What's the secret to making this system robust?

Thanks - Steve

That's what I found. The steel line inside the windshield was rusted. The check valve above the glovebox keeps the line full of water. It's easy to blow a string top-to-bottom through the windshield and pull a small plastic hose through.

I have a 7/78 FJ40 I have owned since 1990. The windshield squirter head is mounted to the windshield frame (stock location). It has clogged repeatedly over the years, and the last time I blew out the steel (or copper?) line inside the WS frame, all sorts of goobers (sludge) came out. I rarely use the squirters, but each time I do, they seem to be clogged again. I keep alcohol-type fluid in the squirter reservoir and it's fresh.

Is the real solution to fish a plastic line (somehow) through the WS frame to replace the factory hose? Is the factory hose inside the frame made of (now rusty) steel?

What's the secret to making this system robust?

Thanks - Steve

This is what I have heard, that the metal line rusts...

That's what I found. The steel line inside the windshield was rusted. The check valve above the glovebox keeps the line full of water. It's easy to blow a string top-to-bottom through the windshield and pull a small plastic hose through.

Trying to remember, I think the hood mounted squirter is less effective than the one on top of the windshield.

Does anyone know where to source the right size clear plastic tubing that you can see the washer fluid in?

Trying to remember, I think the hood mounted squirter is less effective than the one on top of the windshield.

Does anyone know where to source the right size clear plastic tubing that you can see the washer fluid in?

I just picked some up at Lowes.

@SteveH I have this connected to the pump, but still have the original one above the windshield painted over

1618606761178.png

Amazon sells this Clear washer hose. Worked fine to replace the original I was thinking of trying to Y the hose and include the original top of windshield washer - curious if anyone has made the "blow a string" trick work to fish the tubing.

@SteveH I have this connected to the pump, but still have the original one above the windshield painted over

View attachment 2647331

Amazon sells this Clear washer hose. Worked fine to replace the original I was thinking of trying to Y the hose and include the original top of windshield washer - curious if anyone has made the "blow a string" trick work to fish the tubing.

I've done it. It's easy from the top of the windshield. Use the string to pull in the plastic hose.

Damn..... there’s always smarter/easier ways to do stuff than what I come up with! I fished some copper wire down ..... took some fancy cussin but I finally pushed it through!
94229C9A-A333-4D67-A71A-557A97960A43.jpeg
6CE66FA2-EBB6-49FA-96DA-DB8AEC985588.jpeg

063A99BE-E81F-4EB0-9C41-7FBD88DA5528.jpeg

Just blow the string through with an air gun (preferably a non-OSHA type, as they have higher flow), starting from the hole above the center of the windshield and blowing to the passenger side. Feed the string as required and it will exit just outboard of the glove box under the dash. Tape/tie the tubing well to the string and pull the tubing up towards and out the windshield center hole. You may have to guide the string as it initially enters the hole under the dash, just to avoid wrapping around the wires there. If it gets tangled around something in the windshield and won't pull through, just pull the string back out and try it again. There's a plastic check valve above the glove box door where you can connect the new plastic line with existing plastic line.

Edit: I just noticed imyahucklbrrys post. The job is even easier if you have the windshield down. Piece of cake.

Last edited:
SOR has them. I don't know if they're available OEM. You can run without it, but it takes longer for water to get to the squirter.

It really was a poor design by Toyota. They should have run rubber or nylon hose all the way, or left out the check valve to prevent holding water in the metal tube. I think I started having issues with the metal tube within 10 years of buying the truck new.

194-25J
CK VALVE WASHER-
Fits 9/77-1984 40 SERIES

Yep, they used regular steel tubing instead of stainless or even clear plastic. They probably didn't think we'd still be driving these things 40+ years later !!

Keep in mind 1 important detail or fact here :

Clear hose is in no way UV rated , this is why it will turn yellow and crack in short term , OEM toyota hose land cruiser back in the day was a Greenish aqua marine color and indeed UV long term rated

my reproduction BLUE tint hose is more blue then original , but serves the same purpose as original , and looks snappy to say the least too

i hunted for a closer match in color , but much like a 8 track cassette tape , long gone technolegy

see below

DSCN7522.JPG
DSCN7523.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom