Windshield and sunroof conundrum (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I finally purchased my first Land Cruiser. Got a 2000 LC that has all the service records, very mechanically sound, and base-lined (all though I am still going to change out fluids). In my hyper diligence in making sure to check for rust and making sure mechanically this was the one for me, I neglected to look at some cosmetic issues, water ingress issues.

I had always heard these were pretty quiet inside and was kinda surprised on my 2.5hr drive home that it was not as quiet as I expected. Chalked it up to coming from a much newer "luxury" vehicle. I turned radio off and it was a very distinct sound coming from windshield. Also noticed a musty smell when I got in it after work, but not any dampness (lots of rain the week before, but hot and dry when I bought.. felt no dampness in vehicle). Upon investigation I noticed that its completely missing the rubber that covers the rivets going down the molding of the driver side. Both moldings are sticking up a bit on the roof area (which I know is just glued in there). I also noticed that it was missing three of the rivets, with only the top one holding it in. This has got to be where moisture and wind noise is coming in. BUT when I was looking at the holes before I got new rivets I realized they don't go all the way through. There is something behind them. So my question is whats the best way to get top rivet out (drill?) and then does that piece pop off or is it most likely going to damage the part? Its not moving at all even with just one rivet in. I do have a chip in the windshield and that may need to be replaced so this stuff has to come off anyway I guess. Really hard to see in the pictures, but can see how its sticking up a bit.

Sunroof - I know this is a point of contention. I knew it didn't work and thought I would worry about it later. It wasn't leaking so I could live with it being closed for time being (I do like a sunroof, but not a top priority thing) The top of this cruiser has the clear coat failing and it looked like someone tried to wax it leaving wax residue all over the top and looked like all over the sunroof when I looked at it. Like I said I was more focused on other areas and was told not leaking so didn't think much about that area on top. Well when I got home I noticed the sunroof sits lower than it should and there is evidence someone tried to close it up or something at some point. Also noticed that its missing all the plastic trim inside that covers the mechanisms and someone had put pink rigid insulation on the passenger side (what I now believe to be an attempt to keep sunroof up. Motor is dead best I can tell so far before I get into it. My main question is how do I now get the sunroof to seat back up to its factory closed setting?

Thank you for your help!

IMG-4381.jpg

IMG-4382.jpg

IMG-4383.jpg

IMG-4384.jpg

I'm out the door so short reply here, but the trim is glued in place. It's possible to remove it without bending it, but it's more often bent up upon removal.

Yes, you would have to drill out the rivets. Be sure to use the same plastic coated rivets when reassembling.

Yeah I have the plastic Toyota ones in my cart on Toyota Parts Deal.. hopefully the glue has given up enough that I wont bend them. Though I may just order new ones as the plan is to restore. Just don't want to spend the money on that right now haha. Maybe they will clean up well. Need to get them out to figure out why the holes aren't going all the way through first.

The first thing I would do is spray super sudsy soap or shaving cream around the outside perimeter of the windshield and then use compressed air gun on the inside and check for air leaks around the windshield.

The only way to move the glass is to use the motor. There is a screwdriver slot on the underside of the drive that is supposedly there to turn the drive, but if the cables are crusty, and the motor won't move the glass, a screwdriver won't either.

Last edited:
Windshield as advised. On sunroof, motor is likely fine, cables are rusted in to guide tube and seized up, which requires headliner removal to repair properly. Check the screws holding glass to the track, there is some adjustment available there that may help close the gap some, it looks like there was tape or something on it before leaving the residue.

If the color of your cruiser is smoky topaz mica (same as mine and a great color BTW) there was a QC issue with that particular paint from the factory and all of them will fail if they haven't been repainted prior. Lexus did foot the bill for repaints early on and mine was thankfully resprayed as part of that. If yours hasn't and is smoky topaz, try to keep a really good sealant on there and out of the sun as much as possible.

Windshield as advised. On sunroof, motor is likely fine, cables are rusted in to guide tube and seized up, which requires headliner removal to repair properly. Check the screws holding glass to the track, there is some adjustment available there that may help close the gap some, it looks like there was tape or something on it before leaving the residue.

If the color of your cruiser is smoky topaz mica (same as mine and a great color BTW) there was a QC issue with that particular paint from the factory and all of them will fail if they haven't been repainted prior. Lexus did foot the bill for repaints early on and mine was thankfully resprayed as part of that. If yours hasn't and is smoky topaz, try to keep a really good sealant on there and out of the sun as much as possible.
Yeah I think I am more and more resigned to pulling headliner and replacing the cables. Going to try and see if I can check if motor is ok when I get home. Going to try to get id adjusted if I can (thank you for that suggestion). Its in the garage right now and its not registered yet so need to get on doing this while I can.

I believe its the Galactic Grey. I know hood and bumpers were painted. Not sure why roof wasn't done. Only really up there, door handles, and mirrors are noticable and its only noticable from a distance on the roof. Bothers me though so going to have to get that fixed after sunroof is fixed.

Yeah I think I am more and more resigned to pulling headliner and replacing the cables. Going to try and see if I can check if motor is ok when I get home. Going to try to get id adjusted if I can (thank you for that suggestion). Its in the garage right now and its not registered yet so need to get on doing this while I can.

I believe its the Galactic Grey. I know hood and bumpers were painted. Not sure why roof wasn't done. Only really up there, door handles, and mirrors are noticable and its only noticable from a distance on the roof. Bothers me though so going to have to get that fixed after sunroof is fixed.
The sunroof motors are usually fine, the pinch protection saves them when the cables get too stiff to move, they just lock out. Good news as they aren't cheap. But in all the sunroof threads including my own experience, I've yet to see or hear of a bad motor.

See this post from my big sunroof thread on the glass height adjustments available: How To: Stuck Sunroof Repair - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/how-to-stuck-sunroof-repair.1263070/post-14755415

Yeah I have the plastic Toyota ones in my cart on Toyota Parts Deal.. hopefully the glue has given up enough that I wont bend them. Though I may just order new ones as the plan is to restore. Just don't want to spend the money on that right now haha. Maybe they will clean up well. Need to get them out to figure out why the holes aren't going all the way through first.
I second @hoser’s suggestion for the sudsy water.

I just wanted to recommend not using Toyota parts deal. I’ve heard lots of issues with them and poor customer service. You should be able to get better prices and service from PartSouq (Located in UAE) and McGeorge Toyota. There are others as well.

I second @hoser’s suggestion for the sudsy water.

I just wanted to recommend not using Toyota parts deal. I’ve heard lots of issues with them and poor customer service. You should be able to get better prices and service from PartSouq (Located in UAE) and McGeorge Toyota. There are others as well.
Oh ok good to know. Had a lot of receipts from previous owner from them so went with that. I will look at Part Souq and McGeorge.

So upon further investigation the sunroof is way worse than I origianlly thought. I have now had to pull the glass out completely and am at a bit of a loss as to where to go from here. The glass was always sitting a half inch lower than flush and as you can see in the images looked terrible. Went to see if I could adjust the sunroof up into position thinking if it was there then I could just leave it and deal with it down the line. Would love to have the sunroof but a none leaking static one is fine with me as well (at this point). Upon investigation I realized 2 of the adjustment screws for the glass are missing (anyone have apart number?) so that is why there was rigid foam holding it up. When I took out the glass I noticed the rear drip tray is just loose in there and the front pop-up wind deflector thing is completely missing. Bu tthe big kicker is that it is completely missing the sunroof motor. Really bummed as I am ready to get on the restoration and move to paint on this thing but I need to get it buttoned up so I can actual drive it. Any suggestions? So probably best to get a whole assembly or do you think just missing parts is best route?

Bummer. Normally I'm repair all the way but in this case since you have so much going on and no way to know what else sunroof-related might be damaged or missing, I'd look for a whole assembly from a junkyard. Even if it has the usual stuck cables, at least you can install it and have a roof that seals properly and deal with the functionality side of things later.

Yeah that is kinda what I was thinking. I just have no clue what is missing or not attached correctly. I know no junkyards around my area seem to have one so going to have to be on the hunt. Really taking the shine off having my first 100. OK driving it some while its warm and dry, but thats not going to be case much longer. Took the glass out and drove it some yesterday. Absolutely love this vehicle. If I can sort this windshield and sunroof out I can start on paint in parts of it and then get on to the fun stuff.

So upon further investigation the sunroof is way worse than I origianlly thought. I have now had to pull the glass out completely and am at a bit of a loss as to where to go from here. The glass was always sitting a half inch lower than flush and as you can see in the images looked terrible. Went to see if I could adjust the sunroof up into position thinking if it was there then I could just leave it and deal with it down the line. Would love to have the sunroof but a none leaking static one is fine with me as well (at this point). Upon investigation I realized 2 of the adjustment screws for the glass are missing (anyone have apart number?) so that is why there was rigid foam holding it up. When I took out the glass I noticed the rear drip tray is just loose in there and the front pop-up wind deflector thing is completely missing. Bu tthe big kicker is that it is completely missing the sunroof motor. Really bummed as I am ready to get on the restoration and move to paint on this thing but I need to get it buttoned up so I can actual drive it. Any suggestions? So probably best to get a whole assembly or do you think just missing parts is best route?
I'd look for a complete unit in a salvage yard.

Pick-Your-Part (formerly LKQ) has several in the northern NC area:
1696260943591.png

If you are repainting the roof, I'd consider removing the sunroof altogether. Try your local body to weld in a fill panel.

If you are repainting the roof, I'd consider removing the sunroof altogether. Try your local body to weld in a fill panel.
yeah I am and I did think about that.. but I do like having the sunroof since it came with it.. maybe I am just a glutton for punishment that would be so much easier.

I get it. But check out the "downgrade and delete" thread. Maybe you can be swayed. If you remove the sunroof, it'll never break again! :)

Yeah that is kinda what I was thinking. I just have no clue what is missing or not attached correctly. I know no junkyards around my area seem to have one so going to have to be on the hunt. Really taking the shine off having my first 100. OK driving it some while its warm and dry, but thats not going to be case much longer. Took the glass out and drove it some yesterday. Absolutely love this vehicle. If I can sort this windshield and sunroof out I can start on paint in parts of it and then get on to the fun stuff.
yeah I have been doing that with no luck so far. I know of one potential one outside of Charlotte. Was down there for a concert last weekend and I had hoped to get over there to check it out.. but no dice. Still searching.

The saga continues... So ordered a whole new sunroof assembly so hopefully that is out of the way. Of course now I have found my third brake light is cracked and the seal is toast. Already ordered butyl rope to fix when I get a replacement light.

Still trying to asses this windshield. Looks to me the weather stripping is all out of wack. I know the weather stripping in the rain gutters that meats the windshield needs to be replaced both sides. The molding that goes up the windshield to roof I think are still good as long as I don't bend when I remove to fix the roof weather stripping. Of course it needs new double sided tape to sit down and flush with roof. The weather striping on my cowl has spots not covered.. is this how it is on others or is this incorrect on mine? Also the PO had a XM antennae on top.. shouldn't all of this weather stripping be sitting on body so not let water in?

And.. just because everything I touch seems to then have a costly repair.. this is what I found wehn trying to replace the rear wiper arm and blade.. should be a nut there correct? I don't even know where to start unless I get a whole new wiper link. This ever happened to anyone?
IMG-4497.jpg

IMG-4492.jpg

IMG-4493.jpg

IMG-4494.jpg

looks like your wiper arm nut has been heavily corroded. there is a nut there, under all that rust. if it were my truck, i would get a dremel tool with a small cutoff wheel, and carefully try to cut away what's left of the nut. The stud itself should be ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom