Winch challenge project (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here's one from http://www.offroadimages.com.au/OffroadHome/index.php to tide you over until I take some photos tomorrow and get them posted up.

normal_Piglet_0505_146.jpg

:cheers:
normal_Piglet_0505_146.jpg

Tapage said:
2 snorkels .. I suppose V8 inside .. !

Piglet has a Holden Commodore V6 3.8L in his rig.

Just got home from picking up my Daihatsu. :bounce: I shared the hiring of the car trailer with my mate who just bought a Range Rover parts car for his comp truck project. The parts car came with 2x 3.5L V8s and a 5-speed R380 g/box which I now own.:bounce2: So I have an all alloy V8 for my rig now. It looks like I might be able to get the Rangie diffs and suspension cheap as well:D.

I'll just resize the pics I took, then I'll post them up.

Photos time

dai1.jpg

dai3.jpg

dai6.jpg
dai1.jpg
dai3.jpg
dai6.jpg

More photos

dai5.jpg

dai2.jpg

dai4.jpg
dai5.jpg
dai2.jpg
dai4.jpg

Now I've got to clean the shed out this afternoon so I can fit all this new **** in the shed.

I'm going to have to buy or borrow an engine stand to work on the V8 to tidy it up a bit before I slot it in the engine bay.

The G/box needs the mainshaft replaced as the rear spline is worn out (common R380 problem). This no biggy as I've rebuilt a couple of these boxes at my old job.

If I manage to get these Rangie diffs for the right price I will only need to get a LT230 T/case to get all of the main driveline components. I think I will just stay with standard Rangie components for a while before I think of making Hybrids etc. We used to make a special spacer ring at my old work to allow the fitment of series III 4.7:1 r & p instead of the Rangie 3.5:1 r & p. Either that or hunt up some 4.11:1 ratios.

Keep us posted on how you go putting in the Rover V8. I reckon there a pretty sweet V8 option - my mate has a Rangie and a Landy ute, I think both have the 3.5L. They sound sweet and get good mileage too. Pretty torquey, seem to use low revs. The rangie does it easy towing boat or caravan and never seems to be working hard even on long inclines. Pity the rest of the car lets the motor down though, lol!

Now get back in the shed and drop that donk in!!!

Lup:)

Pretty nice .. some q !

1. what kind of engine come factory with this rig ..?

2. V6 engine really needs 2 snorkels .. or is only a taste of the owner ..:D

3. those V8 are from landys ..?

aaaa congrats .. !!!!!! :D

Lupdog said:
Keep us posted on how you go putting in the Rover V8. I reckon there a pretty sweet V8 option - my mate has a Rangie and a Landy ute, I think both have the 3.5L. They sound sweet and get good mileage too. Pretty torquey, seem to use low revs. The rangie does it easy towing boat or caravan and never seems to be working hard even on long inclines. Pity the rest of the car lets the motor down though, lol!

Now get back in the shed and drop that donk in!!!

Lup:)

Lup,

Hopefully I won't have too many dramas putting the rover V8 in as I've seen these rigs with Holden 253 V8s (similar to a SB Chev).

Apparently these all alloy V8s are lighter than the V6 that I originally wanted to use, which will benefit my low weight goals.

The only disadvantage I can see at this point is that they have twin CD Stromberg carbys rather than the fuel injection of the V6 or the later model Rover V8s. If this proves to be a problem offroad with side slopes etc maybe I could convert to LPG or install EFI from a later 3.9L or 4.6L Rover V8.

Tapage said:
Pretty nice .. some q !

1. what kind of engine come factory with this rig ..?

2. V6 engine really needs 2 snorkels .. or is only a taste of the owner ..:D

3. those V8 are from landys ..?

aaaa congrats .. !!!!!! :D

Tapage,

1. Daihatsu's came with a variety of different motors. I can't remember what the F10 came with originally but mine had a Toyota 18R swapped in. F20s had Toyota 12R, 3Y or 4Y motors depending on the year model. My F20 has the 12R. The diesel models had either DG or DL Daihatsu 4cyl motors. My F55 ute has the DG motor. The Toyota Blizzard version of the Daihatsu had "L" series Toyota diesels.

2. The Holden Commodore V6 only requires one snorkel. I guess Piglet likes the look of twin snorkels. The Rover V8 has twin carbs and twin air cleaners so I'll probably need to use twin snorkels, although I'm thinking I might try to route them under the cab and up behind the cab to the top of the headboard of the tray so they don't get torn off in tight trees or rocks.

3. Yes these V8s are Rover V8s and they were originally used in Range Rovers, Land Rovers, Discoveries, Rover 3500 passenger cars and many others. Of the two I got there is an original Range Rover 3.5 which doesn't go and a 3.5 from a Rover 3500 which is suppossed to be a good motor. So at least I'll have a few spares for the good one.

Mickldo said:
I think I will just stay with standard Rangie components for a while before I think of making Hybrids etc.

you'll regret this. rangie centers make 80 front diffs and hilux diffs look unbreakable (unlocked rangie on 31s blew the center through the diff cover plate on a section where a standard 40 walked it in 2wd) same section saw another rover blow both rear axles and a cv on 33's, and he wasn't giving the truck a hard time.

bad_religion_au said:
you'll regret this. rangie centers make 80 front diffs and hilux diffs look unbreakable (unlocked rangie on 31s blew the center through the diff cover plate on a section where a standard 40 walked it in 2wd) same section saw another rover blow both rear axles and a cv on 33's, and he wasn't giving the truck a hard time.

After I wrote this I was cleaning the shed up to make room for all this **** and I noticed all my standard 80 series suspension sitting there and thought I should try to use this stuff rather than buy more **** especially stuff of dubious benefit. So now I'm thinking about using the standard Daihatsu diffs and coiling them or getting some Toyota axles to coil. The Daihatsu diffs; I already own three pairs of but they are narrow and diff locks aren't available (except CIG). The Toyota diffs; better option in long run but more expensive initially.

You're right about the strength. I helped build a 3.9L V8 Discovery Ute comp truck for a mate but he blew three front diffs in three weeks. This is why I was contemplating making up the Hybrid diffs using the Toyota centres and axles.

I'll just have to see if I can find some Toyota axles for the right price.

Does anybody have a link to the "link suspension for dummies" thread on Pirate? I'm not a member there and the search function is only available to red star holders. I used to have it saved as a favourite on my old puter but not on this one yet.

Mickldo said:
Does anybody have a link to the "link suspension for dummies" thread on Pirate? I'm not a member there and the search function is only available to red star holders. I used to have it saved as a favourite on my old puter but not on this one yet.

Stop looking! I found it.

Suprise, suprise I did a search on Mud and found the link.

Link suspension for dummies: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168577&highlight=suspensions

for a comp truck i wouldn't bother with the 3 link front from the 80, and i'm not sure if the coils would be too stiff for a lightweight dihatsu. but linking some yota or nissan diffs sounds like a good plan. some GQ diffs perhaps? i'd suggest lux diffs but alot of guys strip the teeth off the crownwheel of them too. i know you wanted to keep the diffs light, but they are going to see a hell of alot of abuse in a comp situation

Mickldo said:
Rover 3500 which is suppossed to be a good motor. So at least I'll have a few spares for the good one.

I thought this engine it's mostly a hi rpm engine .. but low torque .. ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom