1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Winch challenge project

Discussion in 'HardCore Corner' started by Mickldo, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Mickldo

Mickldo

G'day, I've decided to make use of the three Daihatsu Scats that I own (F10, F20 & F55) to make a little comp truck to save my HZJ80 from getting to trashed offroad. Toyota owns Daihatsu now and I plan on using a few Toyota components as well so I thought I'd document it's build up here.

I'll be mainly using the truck for recreational trail use but also for Short Course, Winch challenges and some rock crawling. Until I work out which events I like best and which events it is better suited to I'll try to keep the rig an allrounder.

My goals are to keep the rig lightweight, manouverable and reliable. I want to be able to complete each of the courses/stages rather than outright speed or ability.

I will use my F55 Daihatsu as a starting point for the project as it has a 107" wheelbase standard as opposed to the others 80":eek:wheelbase. The DG diesel motor will be removed and a VN Commodore 3.8L V6 and T700 auto will be slotted in. These will be mated to either a Hilux T/case and Hilux/Bundera diffs or a Land Rover LT 230 T/case and Range Rover diff housings fitted with Hilux centres. The Rangie/Hilux hybrid diffs are something I've seen on Outerlimits or Pirate, the Haultech boys use them on their buggies.

The first stage of the build will involve getting the cab roadworthy (the rust is pretty bad around the gutters and windscreen). The comps require the vehicle to be registered so I'll keep it pretty tame to start with then as the project evolves and the funds permit the more fun mods will begin.

For those of you who don't know what a F55 looks like (nothing like a FJ55 for starters:flipoff2:) here's a couple of pics of "Piglets" rig which will be very similar to my proposed build.

piggy1.jpg

piggy2.jpg

t_pigletsand_153.jpg
    piggy1.jpg piggy2.jpg t_pigletsand_153.jpg

2. Mickldo

Mickldo

I don't have any pics of my F55 at the moment but next Saturday I'm hiring a car trailer to transport it from my mates place out of town where it is currently stored to my house in town where I can start work on it.

The cab is very rusty around the gutters but one of the boilermakers from work said that he would cut it out for me in exchange for some mechanical work on his V6 Prado:D. Body work is not one of my favourite jobs so it is good to be able to offload that job to somebody else. The roof and gutters are that bad that it will probably be easier to replace the whole roof section. As the Ute cab is a bit tight on interior room I'm toying with the idea of converting it to an extra cab and using a cutdown SWB hardtop for the roof. I guess that will depend on how keen the boilermaker from work is. At least I've got a few more boilys to chose from if I scare this one off, I'm the foreman at a fabrication workshop:cool:.

As I hate doing bodywork I plan on fitting an exo to try and lessen the carnage later on down the track. As the rules I'm going to have to comply with require an internal cage and I want to keep the weight down I"m going to have to be careful with my exo design. I'm thinking a four point internal cage to meet the specs with a full tube rear tray/cage. The front end will have a small tube bar to house the winch (hopefully PTO if I go with the LT230 L/R T/C) and side rails/scrub bars leading down to the rock sliders. The cab protection I'm thinking I'll make from slightly smaller tube than the rest and make it bolt on to make it removeable. The tubes will come forward from the tray headbord/front hoop along the gutters to the "A" pillar and then down to the side rails/scrub bars. Cross bars at top and bottom of the windscreen will complete the cab protection.

3. Mickldo

Mickldo

Here's another quick pic of a hard core F55. This one's got a chev v6 and 60 series cruiser axles.

mainpic.jpg

Don't know who owns this one though.
    mainpic.jpg

4. Mickldo

Mickldo

Here's a list of mods I have planned for this project.

-VN V6 and T700R4 auto
    -LT230 T/case
    -Range Rover diff housings, coils, links and brakes
    -Hilux/80 front diff centres, airlockers, haultech CVs(birfields)
    -Simex Centipede 35/10.5R15 tyres
    -PTO winch front
    -Electric winch rear
    -York AC compressor for OBA

Future mods (when I win Lotto)
    -MaxiDrive bolt on portal boxes
    -Floating tophat/hydraulic rear suspension
    -Hydraulic ram assist steering
    -Haultech traction control

5. numtel

numtel

Those things look sweet. They look about the same as a suzuki lj20. Are they about the same size?

6. Mickldo

Mickldo

Here's a link to the writeup on the Toyota/Rover hybrid axles on Pirate.http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=367387

The main reason I want to go this way is a mate has just bought a Rangie to compete in as well and when he bought it he got a heap of spares with it. I also think this mod combines the best of the advantages of each of the different makers to give a good diff to suit my requirements. The Rangie diffs will also match the offset of the LT230 t/case I want to run. The LT230 has a good low range, a good trans mounted park brake, is strong, light and being constant 4wd has the ability to be unlocked to permit front or rear "burns".

7. Mickldo

Mickldo

They are a little bit bigger than a LJ20. They are of similar size to a Hilux/mini truck. Maybe a little smaller.

Piglet's blue truck weighs about 1620kg in full Outback Challenge specs including the extra fuel, water, food and spares required for the comp.

8. Mickldo

Mickldo

9. topend yobbo

topend yobbo

Good luck on your new project, can't afford one of those yet.

10. Mickldo

Mickldo

I can't really afford it either, who can? The way I look at it is that it will save me money as I won't be as tempted to wreck the 80 as much offroad.

My original F20 (my first 4wd) cost me $1500 years ago and the spare parts F10 cost me $1200. The F55 I'll be using for this project cost me $300 of which I got back $250 when I sold the gearbox, t/case and bonnet.

My plan for the motor and auto is to buy a complete VN commodore to wreck for about $300-$500, keep the engine and gearbox,wiring loom and computer and then sell the rest.

I already own a BOC 250R MIG welder (even though I suck at welding) and a tubing bender and all of the rest of the tools a person in my position (4wd Mechanic) owns.

11. bad_religion_au

bad_religion_au

i got no idea why the haultech boys do that... considering toy cv's and inners (not to mention aftermarket) are tuffer than rover as well so i don't see the point in stuffing around with hybrid s***

12. Mickldo

Mickldo

The hybrid axles use the Toyota centres and CVs. It's just the housings, brakes, hubs and suspension that is Rover. I reckon the suspension and brakes of the Rovers are better than the Hilux/Bundera alternative. I know I'm going to get flamed for that one but the Rover rears come standard with discs, Fully Floating hubs, "A" frame suspension and a small high clearence pumpkin. I'd have to Bundera or Surf to get a similar setup and the offset would be wrong for the T/case and the hubs aren't fully floating. The other good reason I like is the Rover axles are a hell of a lot cheaper to get in the first place and most of the Toyota bits are things you would replace in a tuff axle build anyway.

13. bad_religion_au

bad_religion_au

why not run cruiser FF rears? will you need discs on your truck? offsets not a huge deal

14. Tapage

Tapage Club 4X4 Panamá SILVER Star

Just wondering dude .. and only IMOP ..

I know ( maybe most of us ) about great suspension on Land R, I'm agree with this .. but I'm not sure or believer ( here in Panamá is really expensive buy one LR spare, if you can find off course .. ! ) about LR axles ..

I'm pretty sure in Toyota Axles .. ! tranny and t-cases ..

again .. just my .000000002 cents .. :D

15. Mickldo

Mickldo

My plan is to try and keep the vehicle as light as possible and with as much ground clearance as possible, hence my reasoning to go Rangie or Hilux sized diffs. I just feel the cruiser diffs are too heavy and large. If I decide for any reason not to go with the hybrid setup I will be going for Hilux/Surf/Bundera diffs.

I've never been a real fan of drums, just personal preferance for the discs.

16. Mickldo

Mickldo

Where I live in Hervey Bay we have a very high 4wd population. Every second business in town is a 4wd hire place for Fraser Island. About half of the 4wds are Toyotas and the other half are Land Rovers. I used to work for one of the 4wd hire places that hired Land Rovers so getting hold of cheap Rover parts isn't a problem for me. Neither is access to special tools and expert knowledge.

My mate who has just bought a Rangie to compete in only paid $800 for the complete car in roadworthy condition and got another spare parts car thrown in with it. Hopefully I'll be able to get the axles of his parts car.

17. Tapage

Tapage Club 4X4 Panamá SILVER Star

I see and got your point about Land R .. just to say I love use non hibrid pars in axles if I can .. just IMOP again ..

If you can found Hi Lux axles .. straight with those ones .. or if you found LR axles ..

18. camcruiser13

camcruiser13

Media:
    Albums:
    those rigs are sweet, good luck on the project

19. Mickldo

Mickldo

Of course all of this will depend on my budget and the availability of parts when I get to that stage of the build.

20. Mickldo

Mickldo

Thanks camcruiser13, I love the little rigs.

I'm going out this Saturday to pick up the ute from my mates place with a car trailer so hopefully I'll be able to get a few pics of my rig and to get a bit of a start on the project.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">