Winch challenge project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Daihatsu 006.jpg

Daihatsu 018.jpg
This pic shows the amount of room I have to mount the V8. Not much.

Daihatsu 020.jpg
This pic shows where the winch will have to fit. The battery tray, to the left of the pic, will be relocated hopefully leaving just enough room.
Daihatsu 006.jpg
Daihatsu 018.jpg
Daihatsu 020.jpg

Ohh ! :eek: it have the steering wheel in the wrong side :D lol .. ! ( just kidding )

Loks plain .. perfect for off road. I'm thinking in more than V8 .. did you get space to place a rad . ?

Ohh ! :eek: it have the steering wheel in the wrong side :D lol .. ! ( just kidding )

Loks plain .. perfect for off road. I'm thinking in more than V8 .. did you get space to place a rad . ?

According to my rough measurements so far if I use the Rover engine driven fan the radiator won't fit but hopefully I will be able to use some twin electric thermo fans. Either that or I relocate the radiator to behind the cab.

It is looking to be a bit of a squeeze behind the cab. Radiator, LPG tank, spare tyre, recovery boxes, air reservoir, fold down "wanker" lights and I also want to mount the snorkel and air cleaner back there as well. The batteries also need somewhere to be mounted but I think that I should be able to make room for them under the drivers seat. The original battery lived there and I reckon I can sqeeze two in there. Under the passengers seat is where the original fuel tank used to live so maybe I can mount some of the stuff there like the air tank.

I thought is great idea have the weight distrubuted .. so in front you have the weight of the engine .. and lloking your plans midle weight it's nice ..

Only I keep in mind most ( and jusnt wondering ) of the toughes parts of the trails are up hils. In a short weelbase rig and with rad, GPL tank, air tank spare tire and tool box behind the cab . ?

I thought is great idea have the weight distrubuted .. so in front you have the weight of the engine .. and lloking your plans midle weight it's nice ..

Only I keep in mind most ( and jusnt wondering ) of the toughes parts of the trails are up hils. In a short weelbase rig and with rad, GPL tank, air tank spare tire and tool box behind the cab . ?

The Ute has a 107" WB so that should be alright wheelbase wise. With the rear bobtailed the weight even though it is moved backwards should still have a forward bias. I'll be trying to keep the weight low too.

I'll be doing some body work on the ute this weekend (finally).

Getting some gas for the MIG on Saturday.

I'll be doing some body work on the ute this weekend (finally).

Getting some gas for the MIG on Saturday.

Got the gas this morning and set up the MIG. I had a bit of a go at setting it. I need practice:doh:. It's a good thing one of the guys from work said he would come and give me a hand. I asked him at work on Friday and he said he could come out next weekend to do it.:bounce: So after I get back from watching the supermoto races tomorrow I'll start chopping out some of the rust and making replacement panels.

Anything new?

Welcome to 3rd ROCK 4X4 :: Index ;)

Update time

Since last post I have done SFA to it. I have been busy doing other things. I prepped and went on a month long trip to the outback. https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/146800-pre-expedition-build.html https://forum.ih8mud.com/expedition-builds/167274-post-expedition-report-pics.html
I found out the wife and I were pregnant. Had a beautiful baby daughter. Moved house, renovated the old house, repairing the new (rental) one. Blew a head gasket on the 80. Bought a HZJ105R which I am starting to build up too. https://forum.ih8mud.com/expedition-builds/197144-hzj105-expedition-build.html

All in all I haven't had much time to spare for this project, after all this is my toy project. Things are starting to settle down a bit now so I am trying to organise being able to get some work done on it.

Where I am living now has limited space but I am looking at a few options. Our house is on the market now and hopefully it won't take too long to sell and allow us to buy a new house (with a bigger shed:bounce:). I am trying to organise to store it at a mates house in the meantime. I might be able to do the rust repairs while it is there too.

The boss has agreed to let me get some tube for cost for the cage so I'll start bending it up soon too.

So hopefully I'll be back on track with this project soon.:D

Spent a bit of time as a young bloke standing on the back of one of those mini trucks, feeding out to cows, while it drove itself across the paddock in 1st low range.

Had to use 1st so from when you jumped off, you could get in the door before it left you behind.

I think my back is still getting over driving the thing around the farm....

Spent a bit of time as a young bloke standing on the back of one of those mini trucks, feeding out to cows, while it drove itself across the paddock in 1st low range.

Had to use 1st so from when you jumped off, you could get in the door before it left you behind.

I think my back is still getting over driving the thing around the farm....

The ride in 'em isn't too flash compared to a cruiser when they are in stock form:lol:

The place where I did my apprenticeship had two Daihatsu work utes. One was a F65 and we swapped in a built turbo diesel motor from an ex-Australian Safari Daihatsu Rocky racecar. Luckily it had good suspension under it too otherwise it would've been a bit of a handful.

Any further updates? Specifically interested in the centre-mounted winch idea. I'm stubbornly thinking about adapting it for near stock US spec FJ62 with a 1" body lift. ( I know the spare tire and stock exhaust will have to move). And, I want the rear seat to be able to fully fold forward with the winch access hole in the rear footwell. I'm hoping my 1" body lift will give me just that much more wiggle room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom