Will your 80 series idle with the oil cap removed (1 Viewer)

Will your 93-97 80 series land cruiser idle with the oil cap removed.

• 93-94 Yes it idles with cap removed

• 93- 94 No it dies when I remove the cap

• 95-97 Yes it idles with cap removed

• 95-97 No it dies when I remove the cap

Results are only viewable after voting.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

REKCUT

SILVER Star
Threads
I would like to find out how many of our 80's will idle without oil cap on. Please actually pull the cap with the truck running and see. Don't just answer for memory or what you think will or won't happen.

thanks

Are you going to clean my engine bay after I check :confused:?

The 8 95-97 trucks i have tried it on idle fine. No oil comes out either. But if your worried you can cover the cap with a towel and unscrew.

50/50 so far. very small sample

Verbiage on the poll is a little misleading as mine will drop from nice idle @ about 650rpm to below 400rpm. Year '94

Verbiage on the poll is a little misleading as mine will drop from nice idle @ about 650rpm to below 400rpm. Year '94

I agree with you but I looking for difference in early to late model. Have had someone tell me on the 93 94 if it still runs your PCV may be bad. But the fact it effect your idle in a noticeable negative manner will be view the same for this poll as doesn't run

I’ve had two 94’s and now a 93. One of the 94’s would run fine with the oil fill cap removed. The 93 and the one 94 die immediately.

Reword the poll. It needs to be "no or little effect" versus "significant effect (even temporary) or stalling".

They may not die, and the ECU adapts quickly to the new conditions.

'94. It will heavily stumble for a bit and I think it would die if I let it. It doesn't seem like something the motor likes, at all. For that reason, I don't dare run the motor without the cap on tight.

So 94 and no issues? IT doesn't look like you voted correctly.
Correct. Only reason I noticed was because I was giving someone a jump start and saw the cap sitting on the battery when I opened the hood.:censor:

I just reviewed the options and voted.

Reword the poll. It needs to be "no or little effect" versus "significant effect (even temporary) or stalling".

They may not die, and the ECU adapts quickly to the new conditions.

Not really what I'm looking for. The runs worse effect in my research seems to be a result of some other factors thrown in. In all of the 95-97's I've been able to get my hands on if you take off the cap it has no real effect. IF you pull the hose off the PCV it dies almost instantly.

In all the 93-94 trucks ( which are very few) the truck act the same if you remove the cap or remove the PCV hose. Engine shuts down. In 93-94's with a PCV valve issue ( and or something else) the truck will run but not smoothly

Not really what I'm looking for. The runs worse effect in my research seems to be a result of some other factors thrown in. In all of the 95-97's I've been able to get my hands on if you take off the cap it has no real effect. IF you pull the hose off the PCV it dies almost instantly.

In all the 93-94 trucks ( which are very few) the truck act the same if you remove the cap or remove the PCV hose. Engine shuts down. In 93-94's with a PCV valve issue ( and or something else) the truck will run but not smoothly
What? I wasn’t polled about the condition of my PCV valve. Where are your facts about numbers coming from? This thread only?

In my limited research so far I am finding a difference in the crankcase vent. In all the 80's i have actually been able to personally touch, I can find no effect on the truck when you run it with or without the cap. Truck idles and drives exactly. This arose from driving without the cap and not realizing it. When I started looking into how it happened I had serval members telling me that if the cap is off or if the dipstick is not seated then the truck will run very rough or die. If not then you have a bad PCV valve. I noticed after a bit that all the post with this line of thinking were coming from owners of 93 or 94 trucks. I have not stated anything for fact. Just looking at behavior. Should not have answered any question. Just wanted data

Last edited:
93. Pull oil cap, and zero change. Betting my PCV is shot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom