Will an oem Toyota radiator (95-97) fit into an earlier 93? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

swamp-thing

SILVER Star
Threads
I see the part numbers are different between the years...:

1993-1994 FZJ80 Brass 3 row Radiator: 16400-66040 ( seems like it will fit '95-'97 also)
1995-1997 FZJ80 2 row aluminum radiator: 16400-66081

BUT I can't determine via search if the later rads are able to be used in the earlier 1fz-fe models:

Story:
The OEM rad on my 93 80 series has a leak on the seam at the top. It's the earlier brass type.

I have a low mile radiator from a 95 that I parted out, it was holding and cooling just fine when pulled.
Can I pop this 95 radiator into my 93?

I see lots of chatter about what to replace OEM rads with, but my question is about backwards compatibility....

Thanks In Advance.

Yep. You’ll be fine. Arguments as to which is better, but externally they’re the same. I’ve got a ‘97 rad in my ‘93.

I concur.

Thanks to you both -- do you know, will I need to change anything about mounting brackets etc? or is it just a plug & play?
As to the argument of which is better - right now one is leaking and the other isn't so that decision is made for me since the cost is free....
Much appreciated!!

Last edited:
I bought a TYC listed for a 97 in my 93, fit no problem. I know its not OEM, but it was not listed to fit a 93 and it did.

No the side brackets to hold everything are the same, just grab the mounts and tranny fittings off your old one.

There is backward/forward compatibility between the OEM part numbers. In the early years the construction was a brass/copper 3 row and later years was a 2 row aluminum. The consensus is the aluminum provides better cooling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom